Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2021, 09:56 AM
onemountain

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Best values in crossovers / light SUVs?

Hello all,

I'm facing the potential prospect of moving from my current location (an off-grid, off-road salmon hatchery on an island in SE Alaska) to a salmon or trout hatchery in Idaho (on-road/grid, but in the middle of nowhere).

Because I live somewhere where there's no roads but plenty of ocean, my current vehicle is a skiff. If I move down to Idaho, I'll need one of those fancy 4-wheeled road-drivey thingies that y'all talk about so much.

Given the current market, a 4WD truck appears to be out of my price range (Strongly prefer <25k) so I'm looking at crossovers and light SUVs, most likely used.

My needs would be:
-something that can handle snowy/icy roads in winter
-light-to-moderate off-pavement use, i.e. semi-maintained forest service roads for camping, hunting, fishing etc.

I do not, however, need something that will get me over boulders and through 2 ft of mud while taking fire from an insurgent with an RPK. Nor do I need trailer-hauling capability.

Also, I'm single, so a relatively compact 4 seater is just fine. No need for a family-hauler (yet!).

So, I call on my RFC friends for suggestions of what to look into for light SUVs (generally part-time 4WD) and crossovers (generally AWD). I've been driving a boat as my main mode of transportation for enough years that I'm totally out of touch with the road vehicle market.

So, what would you kind folks suggest, given my preferences above..?

Addendum: is "Certified pre-owned" worth the additional warranty or just a profit-enhancing scam by dealers?

EDIT: I meant less than 25k, not greater than. Slightly major "whoopsie" on my part (yikes!)

Last edited by onemountain; 07-17-2021 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:19 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Any Subaru...

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 07-17-2021, 10:35 AM
The_Darkest_One

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Toyota Rav 4.

Beat the crap out of my 2008 and it is still going. Great in the snow. Has four wheel lock if you need to crawl through sketchy spots. Handles great...weight is well distributed out over the corners so balance is good. Has Toyota's brilliant braking response. Loads of room for a single dude and all his kit. Put larger wheels/tires on mine...more aggressive tires really boosts already good traction if you are taking it into more sketchy conditions. The V6 version is the one you want. The four banger works well...it's a buzzy engine, so doesn't really start to get up on the cams until the revs get up, but it works. Not as much torque as the 6 and really, the economy just isn't all that much better, so just get the 6.

Over 300K on mine. Still works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2021, 10:59 AM
Barksdale123

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking

Do not get a Chevrolet Captiva. Mine has 140,000 but runs like new. That's because just about everything has needed to be replaces with new
Old 07-17-2021, 11:20 AM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
If you can find a Toyota venza awd with the v6 from the original run, they are everything a Subaru claims to be but made better.

Wife came with a Subaru... worked at an independent import mechanic shop for a few years. Couldn't reccomend the Subaru with a clear conscious. It's a weird group, it's a product/religion. Made a lot of money fixing them, mostly just serviced the toyotas and hondas.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:22 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've never owned one, but what about a "real" Jeep?

We rented one of the 4-door versions for one of our "dude ranch" vacations in WY and took it on many FS and similar roads in search of trout. It would be high on my list if I was living there.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:52 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Kia , cheap, dependable, and reliable.

If you know how to drive, front wheel drive , and the right tires are all you need for what you described.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:53 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (280)
There are several good choices, some of which have been mentioned above, but if you want to cover all your requirements and have a "driver's SUV", i.e, great handling, fun to drive, check out the Mazda CX-5. Just read the reviews in the car mags, and even Consumer Reports. I'm on my third one (had two at the same time for years, but decided we just didn't need three vehicles, so recently sold the one CX-5 (they really keep their value too) so now it's the remaining CX-5 and a pick-up.

Doug
Old 07-17-2021, 12:38 PM
Wayne Sihler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JEEP .

Cherokee,Grand Cherokee or Wrangler,will all serve your purpose.I would stay with a solid axle front end instead of an independent front suspension.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:59 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Toyota and Subaru, no contest.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:22 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (280)
Actually, Al, while those are good choices (and I've had both more than once), the only folks who buy the others are those who have never driven a CX-5. Several friends and family members are now happy CX-5 owners. As I said, read the reviews. Just sayin...

Doug
Old 07-17-2021, 05:23 PM
HectorFuego

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winters where I live are either meh or "How soon till they colonize Mars, so I can get away from this."

My house is at the end of a cul de sac at the bottom of a hill. If there's a bad snow, it takes the city several days to plow my street. A couple of years ago there was a bad snow which knocked out the power for 4 days and we could not get out with our mini van till the third day.

I bought a Subaru Forester in January and could not be happier. After getting the Forester we had a snow storm that left packed snow and ice on the hill. The Subaru went up it like it was on dry pavement.

Definitely take a look at Subaru's.

Hector
Old 07-17-2021, 06:06 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another Mazda CX-5 here.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:04 PM
Kilerham

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bought a 07 rx350 Lexus today for 10500.
Couldn’t be happier with 111000 miles

Traded for a 07 highlander with 230k
Ran flawless

Toyota’s are a good vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2021, 08:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Heard good things about the Mazda’s.

Amazing that a 14 year old Lexis with 111k goes for over 10k. That car should do 200k easy if maintained. I still see many generation II Prius on the road which means they are over 12 years old. And to think GM sold the quick fire engine technology to Toyota because they didn’t know what to do with it.
......Tom Petty