Looking for advice/opinions re:handgun accuracy - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-03-2020, 09:19 AM
hammerli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Open Sight handgun shooting

Please accept my take from a different angle. I am 67 yrs old and have only shot with open sights. I have had a cataract operation last April. I shoot a Hammerli 208 single hand ISSF style with open sights. Pistol shooting requires great coordination and a single minded focus on the front sight. Yes dry firing is the only way to improve. More importantly I can suggest you shoot on a plain white target at 15 to 25 yards. With no aiming point to pull your focus you will find it easier to retain focus on the front sight as you keep your sights aligned. FOLLOW THROUGH is the deep dark secret to precision shooting.

I also use a Gehmann iris on my shooting glasses which helps the focus.

You need to keep your strength up and I suggest you exercise your shoulders with a simple set of 2 PET bottles of 1 litre each which you fill with sand. A set of 5 exercises done thrice a day will soon improve your ability to hold still. PM me for more information.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:13 AM
hcaroselli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Everybody,

I wanted to check in and tell you I have been following all your responses and I am very grateful. There is no shortage of advice, opinions and examples and that is exactly what I was seeking.

RFC is very much a place filled with kindhearted, intelligent people who are more than willing to share experiences and advice.

Thanks again!

The other Hector
Old 10-03-2020, 04:05 PM
JGR_LV
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try a red dot

As a lot of people have already noted, it's a totally different game and much less intuitive for me than a rifle. Several have already recommended optics of various sorts, and there are two things to consider there. First, I'm not 75 yet, but 70 is staring me in the face, and aging eyes do have a lot of problems with picking up a clear picture of iron sights. Red dot sights (green if you prefer) will help with that a lot, without adding the element of increasing visible shake that comes with magnification. They also eliminate the problem of deciding whether to get a sharp focus on the front sight, which is imperative when using iron sights on a pistol, and being able to see the target at least well enough to pick out the center.
A red dot sight will also be an incredible training tool for developing the other half of the discipline: reliable, repeatable trigger squeeze. It provides instant feedback on what's happening at the moment the trigger breaks. You can actually see what you did wrong or right. Learned this from an old friend who was teaching me how to get accuracy out of my S&W Model 52, which he'd told me would be "probably the most accurate pistol you'll ever own and definitely the most difficult to learn to shoot accurately." He gave me a grip panel Weaver mount and a cheap red dot and told me to put them on and practice with them. I pointed out that I couldn't use those in the competition I was practicing for, and he said, "Just DO IT!"
Sure enough, my groups shrank to about a third of my best previous efforts, but I was still griping about what would happen when I went back to iron sights. Then I noticed something odd. I was putting about 2/3 of my practice time in using a Ruger 22/45 that was set up to duplicate the trigger pull and balance of the Model 52, but with just the stock iron sights, and I saw my group size with that shrinking almost as dramatically. It finally dawned on me that my trigger discipline was improving because I could, with the red dot, see my mistakes and work on them rather than just looking at the target afterward and wondering where I'd screwed up. Give it a try.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:24 AM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGR_LV View Post
As a lot of people have already noted, it's a totally different game and much less intuitive for me than a rifle. Several have already recommended optics of various sorts, and there are two things to consider there. First, I'm not 75 yet, but 70 is staring me in the face, and aging eyes do have a lot of problems with picking up a clear picture of iron sights. Red dot sights (green if you prefer) will help with that a lot, without adding the element of increasing visible shake that comes with magnification. They also eliminate the problem of deciding whether to get a sharp focus on the front sight, which is imperative when using iron sights on a pistol, and being able to see the target at least well enough to pick out the center.
A red dot sight will also be an incredible training tool for developing the other half of the discipline: reliable, repeatable trigger squeeze. It provides instant feedback on what's happening at the moment the trigger breaks. You can actually see what you did wrong or right. Learned this from an old friend who was teaching me how to get accuracy out of my S&W Model 52, which he'd told me would be "probably the most accurate pistol you'll ever own and definitely the most difficult to learn to shoot accurately." He gave me a grip panel Weaver mount and a cheap red dot and told me to put them on and practice with them. I pointed out that I couldn't use those in the competition I was practicing for, and he said, "Just DO IT!"
Sure enough, my groups shrank to about a third of my best previous efforts, but I was still griping about what would happen when I went back to iron sights. Then I noticed something odd. I was putting about 2/3 of my practice time in using a Ruger 22/45 that was set up to duplicate the trigger pull and balance of the Model 52, but with just the stock iron sights, and I saw my group size with that shrinking almost as dramatically. It finally dawned on me that my trigger discipline was improving because I could, with the red dot, see my mistakes and work on them rather than just looking at the target afterward and wondering where I'd screwed up. Give it a try.
The advice on the red dot improving trigger control is something I also experienced . This is great advice.