Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Putting a compensator on 22/45 Lite: Question

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Arrowhead 
#1 ·
I'd like to add some weight to my 22/45 Lite, so I was thinking about putting on a compensator/brake. Most weigh only about 1.5 ounces, but it might help.
My question regards the increased noise. Most compensators add to noise level. I've read a couple reviews that said the increase in noise was pretty noticeable on a compensator added to the Lite, but I don't know how reliable that info was.
My question: Will a compensator on a 22/45 Lite make it louder? And if so, how significantly, relatively speaking?
Thanks

#2 ·
The report will be louder but it depends on the ammo you are using. With CCI SV it's not that noticeable. Mini Mags are a bit louder, etc.

A good compensator that doesn't have too many ports is the Tandemkross Game Changer Plus. It adds more weight and I like it better than the original Game Changer.

Some comps are made to make the gun louder for the shot times to pick up the sound as when shooting Steel Challenge Competitions.

#3 ·
I put the game changer on mine and it made some difference in muzzle flip. It was a little louder. When the Game changer pro became available I switched to it. It is definitely more effective than the original but produces more noise. Wit good ear protection neither is any problem. I put the fist one away and have a use for it now. I’ been looking for it off and on for three days. :D

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks all. One other question, I know it probably sounds dumb, but I have to ask:
Since compensators are not barreled per se, what ensures that once the bullet leaves the barrel and enters the compensator, that the bullet will continue in a perfectly straight line? Since there is no barrel to support the bullet.
Is it because the bullet is traveling such a short distance that it does not go off center, assuming the compensator has been perfectly made and is perfectly aligned with the barrel? Is the hole at the end of the compensator slightly larger in diameter to ensure that the bullet won't get caught up inside the compensator?
Thanks again.

#5 ·
The exit hole on the compensator is slightly larger than the bullet diameter. You should have no problems with hitting it unless your ammo is tumbling as soon as it exits the barrel (rare).

Make sure you clean your compensator every 500 rounds or less if you get a lot of buildup. I use a mixture of 50% vinegar and peroxide. Let it soak for a few hours and then use a dental pick to get all the lead out. Use rubber gloves when you do this because the mixture is toxic.

You can pour it into the drain and flush it out with a lot of water without causing a problem You use so little that it won't effect anything.

#7 ·
I'd like to add some weight to my 22/45 Lite, so I was thinking about putting on a compensator/brake. Most weigh only about 1.5 ounces, but it might help.
You could probably trade someone for a full weight barrel and receiver.

The universe of 1/2-28 muzzle attachments is fairly large and you'll be able to find one as heavy as you like. I just found one for a rifle that weighs a bit over 12 ounces. Less heavy, some of the fake xm177 devices weigh several ounces and won't direct noise back at you.

#8 ·
Something to take note of is what the weight of compensators do to barrel harmonics. I don't know if it matters much on short pistol barrels but in my experience it does on rifle barrels. The barrel may become more accurat os less do or no change. It's kind of a crap shoot or experiment if that is too harsh a description.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.