British Shooting Corner - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:02 AM
Iain's Avatar
Iain

Join Date: 
Jun 2015
Location: 
Peterborough UK
Posts: 
49
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)


Log in to see fewer ads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post

On a more morose note,

I was deeply saddened to hear of the Death of the Duke of York, he was a great man who served in WW2 as a naval officer The duke supported British shooting, the flags will be flying at half mast all over the country and no doubt at Bisley too as he was our patron for the UKNRA and I feel for her Majesty

The Duke of Edinburgh award scheme is brilliant, my school friend even did air pistol shooting as a component of the awards scheme which has helped countless young people all over the world.

He was a keen wildfowler right until the end!

https://basc.org.uk/obituary-his-roy...prince-philip/
Not wishing to rain on your parade Discontinued, but I'm sure the Duke of York will be saddened to hear of his own demise.

I believe you mean the Duke of Edinburgh; a great man indeed. RIP Sir.

Iain
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:27 AM
Discontinued's Avatar
Discontinued is online now

Join Date: 
Nov 2017
Location: 
Southern England UK
Posts: 
478
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
oops typo silly old Disco,

Fixed it now!

Last edited by Discontinued; 04-10-2021 at 06:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-10-2021, 06:46 AM
LtCrunch's Avatar
LtCrunch is online now
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2015
Location: 
Colorado
Posts: 
2,972
TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattleman30 View Post
Al. The barrel liner has a gain twist with a final rate of one turn in ten feet. The liner is 3/8 thick and made of 4140 while the outer barrel is 1018 steel. This tube within a tube design results in great strength.

A popular American pastime is groundhog hunting with a Coehorn mortar. This 1/2 scale fires half filled twist top beer cans.

Success rates are low for some reason. Perhaps testing the newer lots of Coors light....
That's a fine looking mortar Marine!

The barrel on ours is a piece of smooth bore 3/8" wall alloy drill pipe so the beer can full of cement starts tumbling almost immediately after exiting the muzzle. Makes a cool "whoosh whoosh whoosh" sound flying through the air but accuracy suffers immensely

One of us should start a cannon thread over on the black powder forum.

Frank
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-10-2021, 07:29 AM
LtCrunch's Avatar
LtCrunch is online now
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2015
Location: 
Colorado
Posts: 
2,972
TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulfur-n-steel View Post
I dig the model planes hanging in the shop
Thanks SNS! RC aviation has a lot of similarities with shooting. Knowledge, skill equipment, accuracy, aerodynamics. Main difference with RC is controlling (hopefully) the "bullet" after it leaves the barrel.

Similar in legislation and restrictions too. Never thought I'd need a FAA drone license but here we are and there's one in my wallet.

The best part, like shooting is the friends we make

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shop.jpg (178.6 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-10-2021, 08:30 AM
LtCrunch's Avatar
LtCrunch is online now
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2015
Location: 
Colorado
Posts: 
2,972
TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
Duh You are right Frank
That's not what my bride says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
I will have that slot filled by my gifted 10/22 my mind is going and im not passed 50 yet although it is looming.
You're just a youngster! I'm 66.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
And I cannot deny that 10/22's are a great deal of fun I'm super curious how it will shoot totally stock. now I'm wondering what scope if any to add as I like open sights

Interestingly in the UK we call them open sights and you chaps call them iron sights
We call them both although iron sights is more common. Total misnomer since iron hasn't been used in firearms for over a century. I like 4-12x40mm on .22's. They'll go low enough for off hand shooting and still enough power to see what you're doing on the bench at 100 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
I love cannons I have one too although somewhat smaller.

Those are cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
I'm also into RC as I see in your nice photographs. I especially like the Corsair I made one myself from a converted foam rubber band plane.
RC is very addictive. I wanted to be a fighter pilot as a kid but bad eyes kept me from that. Nice thing about RC, when you pound one in nobody dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
Just waiting for a windless day when I'm not stuck at work...always calm on weekdays never Saturday.
Good luck with that. I was our club's chief flight instructor for a couple years and I'd tell the students, "If you're going to fly in Colorado you're going to have to learn to fly with some wind."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
I was also out yesterday with an old friend driving our RC pan cars, I stupidly put in a 46,000kv (46,000 rpm @10volts) brushless motor in that pan car and its actually quite dangerous now, I'm guessing close to 70 mph, if I can drive it without it "donuting"
Yup, I upgraded a Traxxas Rustler to brushless and it's just stupid fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
What is it about RC and shooting? I was on an RC plane forum for many years and most of the people there where also shooters, it became apparent when people mentioned that used bullet heads and shot to ballast their model planes, we all discovered that we were into shooting too!
As I mentioned to sulfer-n-steel, lots of similarities. Main difference is guns hold their value and RC planes/cars/boats don't!

Nice talking with you and condolences on Prince Phillip. I feel sorry for Queen Elizabeth but boy he sure had a good run!

Frank

Last edited by LtCrunch; 04-10-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-10-2021, 10:08 AM
sulfur-n-steel's Avatar
sulfur-n-steel

Join Date: 
Jan 2021
Location: 
Michigan
Posts: 
326
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
Thanks SNS! RC aviation has a lot of similarities with shooting. Knowledge, skill equipment, accuracy, aerodynamics. Main difference with RC is controlling (hopefully) the "bullet" after it leaves the barrel.

Similar in legislation and restrictions too. Never thought I'd need a FAA drone license but here we are and there's one in my wallet.

The best part, like shooting is the friends we make

Frank
I've always wanted to get into those, tried a few times.
They always end up in the dirt face down

I might give it another shot this summer though. My son is interested model rockets right now, so he's got a few on his hobby table. that might push me back over
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-10-2021, 10:10 AM
sulfur-n-steel's Avatar
sulfur-n-steel

Join Date: 
Jan 2021
Location: 
Michigan
Posts: 
326
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post

I love cannons I have one too although somewhat smaller.


Details on those little buggers please!
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-10-2021, 10:19 AM
LtCrunch's Avatar
LtCrunch is online now
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2015
Location: 
Colorado
Posts: 
2,972
TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
The cheapest way to learn to fly RC planes is go to a club and have them train you with a buddy box. That way a club member can take back control before things go south. The controls are not intuitive initially but with some air time you will quickly overcome dumb thumbs and be able to solo on your own.

If there's no easily accessible local club then a flight sim that uses a standard RC controller will get you there too. Again the trick is to develop some muscle memory in your thumbs that matches commands from your eyes.

I always feel bad for folks especially kids that buy a new RC plane and immediately pound it into the ground from simple lack of instruction. With the newer RTF (ready to fly) foamies it's never been easier or cheaper to start flying RC.

Do it!

Frank
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-10-2021, 11:42 AM
Discontinued's Avatar
Discontinued is online now

Join Date: 
Nov 2017
Location: 
Southern England UK
Posts: 
478
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulfur-n-steel View Post
Details on those little buggers please!
I got mine from wish.com but they can also be found on Amazon

https://www.wish.com/product/5e73169..._wcB&share=web

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EASYANT-Des...07J9QWJPQ?th=1

There's even a 9mm 6 barreled version

Yes I learned to fly at a club and then used a simulator, and its true RC does not hold retain much value, unless its a vintage kit like a Tamiya Celica unbuilt I wish I had kept or more precisely not nose darted a few planes. Especially with modern radio equipment and ultra light servos and brushless systems. I was into park fly planes and had a Bleriot made by Ikarus that could fly at walking pace it was surreal. with modern batteries and brushless systems you could be in the air for hours without recharging. Also a Kyosho Petite Fantasy High wing trainer so sad looped it and had a wing fold...

I like Traxxas they make some of the best cars, i used to race competitively back in the late 90's and early 2000's I loved my Team associated TC3 I even had an Rc12 as well. My friend still has his Tamiya Bigwig from 1986

Last edited by Discontinued; 04-10-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-10-2021, 12:01 PM
Discontinued's Avatar
Discontinued is online now

Join Date: 
Nov 2017
Location: 
Southern England UK
Posts: 
478
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To any Brits who have served you may remember this training video, I found it on another forum and it brought so many memories flooding back of being in the Cadets

Firearms safety training film warning it is slightly gory, however the acting is less than brilliant, I'm sure the Army could have at least found some better talent.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWIY_Y0W9hk
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-10-2021, 12:21 PM
SailDesign's Avatar
SailDesign is online now

Join Date: 
Mar 2015
Location: 
RI
Posts: 
2,250
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
To any Brits who have served you may remember this training video, I found it on another forum and it brought so many memories flooding back of being in the Cadets

Firearms safety training film warning it is slightly gory, however the acting is less than brilliant, I'm sure the Army could have at least found some better talent.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWIY_Y0W9hk
I don't know if we watched a fil-um about safety in the CCF in 1970, but it was a long time ago and memory is weak. QM Stores (the admirable Wilf Hoskins) was very strong in his insistence that we didn't shoot each other, and since we all survived, he must have been understood quite well.
__________________
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo

Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-10-2021, 12:39 PM
sulfur-n-steel's Avatar
sulfur-n-steel

Join Date: 
Jan 2021
Location: 
Michigan
Posts: 
326
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
The cheapest way to learn to fly RC planes is go to a club and have them train you with a buddy box. That way a club member can take back control before things go south. The controls are not intuitive initially but with some air time you will quickly overcome dumb thumbs and be able to solo on your own.

If there's no easily accessible local club then a flight sim that uses a standard RC controller will get you there too. Again the trick is to develop some muscle memory in your thumbs that matches commands from your eyes.

I always feel bad for folks especially kids that buy a new RC plane and immediately pound it into the ground from simple lack of instruction. With the newer RTF (ready to fly) foamies it's never been easier or cheaper to start flying RC.

Do it!

Frank


Good tips thanks!

Not sure if there's a club around here, hmm, gonna have to check.

Haha I've been considering the foamies, I could crash a model train
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-10-2021, 12:41 PM
sulfur-n-steel's Avatar
sulfur-n-steel

Join Date: 
Jan 2021
Location: 
Michigan
Posts: 
326
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
I got mine from wish.com but they can also be found on Amazon

https://www.wish.com/product/5e73169..._wcB&share=web

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EASYANT-Des...07J9QWJPQ?th=1

There's even a 9mm 6 barreled version

Yes I learned to fly at a club and then used a simulator, and its true RC does not hold retain much value, unless its a vintage kit like a Tamiya Celica unbuilt I wish I had kept or more precisely not nose darted a few planes. Especially with modern radio equipment and ultra light servos and brushless systems. I was into park fly planes and had a Bleriot made by Ikarus that could fly at walking pace it was surreal. with modern batteries and brushless systems you could be in the air for hours without recharging. Also a Kyosho Petite Fantasy High wing trainer so sad looped it and had a wing fold...

I like Traxxas they make some of the best cars, i used to race competitively back in the late 90's and early 2000's I loved my Team associated TC3 I even had an Rc12 as well. My friend still has his Tamiya Bigwig from 1986
Thanks! Wishlist time
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-10-2021, 02:13 PM
gcrank1's Avatar
gcrank1

Join Date: 
Apr 2018
Location: 
South Central WI, USA
Posts: 
4,397
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I am liking the 4-12x40 scope on my 10/22 now too. It is an inexpensive BSA branded (yeah, not 'real' BSA but I like the name; back in the late '60s early '70s we had a lot of BSA twins running about here but I ended up with '63 Triumph TR6) air rifle scope.
Regarding sight names in the different shooting games Ive been in:
The term 'iron' includes both open and peep (both tang and receiver mounted) though today you may find either made of non-ferrous metal or synthetics.
Open is, of course, just open sporting type and being specific.
Peep is also being specific of the 'irons' one is talking about.
In many of our shoots specifying use of iron sights only one may use open sights if so inclined but Ive never seen anyone do it when they can use a peep.
Similarly, in our 'cross-sticks' match one may do it sans the sticks; ie, 'position shooting'. When my back was bad I did the C-S Match offhand and though I did not place I did surprisingly well. Offhand is a tough game.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-12-2021, 12:55 AM
rockdrill's Avatar
rockdrill

Join Date: 
Jun 2011
Location: 
Cornwall, UK
Posts: 
264
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulfur-n-steel View Post
Nice info!

So where/how do you get 2 round magazines?

Are they just regular magazines that are modified when imported to only hold 2 rounds?
Generally speaking with tube magazines on shotguns, a number of them, come from the factory in a 2 + 1 format. If they are magazines designed for higher capacity they would need to be adapted prior to sale usually by putting a radial crimp into the magazine to restrict the number of cartridges that can be inserted.

About 20 years ago I bought an old Browning A5 that had been converted to a 2+1 capacity on my shotgun certificate, but, as I had authority on my firearms certificate for a high capacity shotgun, I made a tool and knocked out the crimp in the mag tube to return it to its original 5+1 capacity.

One other thing with 2+1 shotguns is the magazine must not be removable, for the most part this isn't an issue, but we do have a few of the old bolt action Marlins that had a detachable two round box magazine, these need to be permanently secured, usually by a small spot weld to comply with the legislation.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x