Sako Quad Range - Broken Extractor - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-09-2020, 09:50 PM
rjferber's Avatar
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2012
Location: 
Omaha, NE
Posts: 
1,431
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Sako Quad Range - Broken Extractor



Log in to see fewer ads
I was sighting in a newly acquired Mueller 8-32x44 on my Sako Quad Range last Friday, I had just finished getting the optics set, moved on to some ammo testing, and began to experience extraction failures. The spent cases would easily come out with a fingernail so it wasn't a stuck or tight-fitting case issue. I couldn’t see anything obvious so I shot a few more rounds (actually trying multiple ammo types) but it would not extract a spent case. Live rounds would extract just fine but once the round was fired it would not extract the empty case.

Yesterday I disassembled & cleaned everything making sure the barrel was seated and snugged down properly. Looking over the bolt & extractor I couldn’t find anything wrong and everything seemed to function properly. I got a magnifying glass and with close examination could see the very inside edge of the extractor had a very small corner piece missing. I'm a little surprised that a very small corner of the extractor is causing the issue as one would expect a larger portion of the extractor to contact the case rim but that seems to be the issue as I tried it on the already fired cases and extraction always fails.

I worked through both the Sako & Beretta websites and did not find anywhere I could directly purchase a new extractor. I'd like to get this replaced under warranty as I have only had the Quad Range" for about a year and it's not had more than 500 rounds of 17 HMR & 22 LR fired through the action at this point.

I followed up the email request to Beretta Customer Support with a phone call yesterday and after going through about 10 levels of automated options, I ended up back at Brownells. Then after a few transfers with 6-8 deep queues I finally got a cross-reference of Sako numbers to Brownell part numbers and have the extractor group (extractor, spring, and pin) on order. The item is on backorder, potentially due in mid-October, at a cost of nearly $50.

I'm going to go back through Sako Customer Support again, take the Warranty option, and see if I can talk with a real person and get their input on the situation.

Anyone know of any other potential sources of Sako parts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-10-2020, 06:49 AM
James Cottrell's Avatar
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2008
Location: 
Tiverton, RI
Posts: 
2,192
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
I feel for your situation. I had a similar issue with a 77/22 but Ruger was great and fixed it. I believe the current virus situation is a big factor in your issues making good contact with Tikka.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-10-2020, 08:42 AM
wproct's Avatar
wproct is online now

Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Iowa
Posts: 
5,247
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I really hope that if and when you get your new extractor that it solves your problem. However, I question whether that small chip is really the issue. My Quad has issues extracting HM2 cartridges and my extractor had that same small chip that you are talking about, so I ordered a new one through Brownell's for that high price and when I got it, it has the exact same chip in the exact same place. I think that is the way they are made. I don't use the HM2 barrel often for that very reason.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-10-2020, 06:28 PM
jagerman

Join Date: 
Jul 2007
Posts: 
1,576
TPC Rating: 
50% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjferber View Post
I was sighting in a newly acquired Mueller 8-32x44 on my Sako Quad Range last Friday, I had just finished getting the optics set, moved on to some ammo testing, and began to experience extraction failures. The spent cases would easily come out with a fingernail so it wasn't a stuck or tight-fitting case issue. I couldn’t see anything obvious so I shot a few more rounds (actually trying multiple ammo types) but it would not extract a spent case. Live rounds would extract just fine but once the round was fired it would not extract the empty case.

Yesterday I disassembled & cleaned everything making sure the barrel was seated and snugged down properly. Looking over the bolt & extractor I couldn’t find anything wrong and everything seemed to function properly. I got a magnifying glass and with close examination could see the very inside edge of the extractor had a very small corner piece missing. I'm a little surprised that a very small corner of the extractor is causing the issue as one would expect a larger portion of the extractor to contact the case rim but that seems to be the issue as I tried it on the already fired cases and extraction always fails.

I worked through both the Sako & Beretta websites and did not find anywhere I could directly purchase a new extractor. I'd like to get this replaced under warranty as I have only had the Quad Range" for about a year and it's not had more than 500 rounds of 17 HMR & 22 LR fired through the action at this point.

I followed up the email request to Beretta Customer Support with a phone call yesterday and after going through about 10 levels of automated options, I ended up back at Brownells. Then after a few transfers with 6-8 deep queues I finally got a cross-reference of Sako numbers to Brownell part numbers and have the extractor group (extractor, spring, and pin) on order. The item is on backorder, potentially due in mid-October, at a cost of nearly $50.

I'm going to go back through Sako Customer Support again, take the Warranty option, and see if I can talk with a real person and get their input on the situation.

Anyone know of any other potential sources of Sako parts?
Clean your chamber
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-11-2020, 09:12 AM
rjferber's Avatar
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2012
Location: 
Omaha, NE
Posts: 
1,431
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The chamber was/is clean . . . but thanks for the input . . . I did see that as a potential problem from notes on other forums. I always clean my firearms after every range session paying particular attention to the throat/chamber area since I do not know when the next range session will take place. . .

Thanks wproct for your comment . . . I did additional research on this problem and it appears the Sako Quad has a known issue in this area. There were several comments on different forums about this same issue. It may be due to rim thickness on different ammo types as I was shooting some different ammo than I had in the past. My initial sight-in work was using SK Standard Plus which did not have any issues. However, I am going to investigate the following scenario and see if it applies.

The ejector claw gets enough grip on the larger diameter rims of the HMR & WMR but the part of the claw that does the ejecting doesn't get quite deep enough behind the smaller diameter rim of the LR case. Part of the claw bears against the bottom of the slot in the breech stopping the point of the claw from reaching in behind the rim far enough. File it to achieve what my photo shows.

I will update after additional research & inspection of the chamber and see if the extractor is making contact as described above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sako Extractor.jpg (138.0 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-11-2020, 07:12 PM
barsik

Join Date: 
Aug 2011
Posts: 
62
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
a broken extractor spring or a buildup of lube and powder residue in the extractor groove can cause problems too.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-11-2020, 11:39 PM
LR308Guy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2019
Location: 
MS
Posts: 
17
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If you are looking for a new extractor for your Sako Quad Range you need to go look at Midwest Gun Works Inc the part number you need is S5940229; it is listed as "Sako P94 Extractor Assembly". It is listed in the Sako P94 parts listing, it is the same part as a Sako Quad. Cost $35.54 + shipping.

The assembly will come with a new extractor, extractor spring, and extractor pin.

I bought a used Sako Quad, and bought a new extractor and firing pin assembly just so I would have a spare. Those two parts sets are about the only thing that could break or go bad on a Sako.

Does your Sako Quad Range have a factory barrel or a aftermarket one?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-11-2020, 11:48 PM
LR308Guy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2019
Location: 
MS
Posts: 
17
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I too had a problem with extracting issues with my Sako Quad, but I had a new Lilja Bull barrel on mine, but after watching the bolt closed I would see the extractor move away from the case before firing.

The extractor was hitting the barrel and moving away from the case before firing.

So I filed a bit of the extractor face, not the hook or angle engagement area so it would not move away.

I also took a very small Cardex stone with my Dremel tool and removed some metel inside the extractor groove cut into the barrel, but making sure to not hit or touch the chamber area.

It does not hardly move at all now.

So far I have fired about 100 rounds and I have not hard any more extracting issues yet.

But I only took a very small amount off of each area.

Last edited by LR308Guy; 07-26-2020 at 07:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-15-2020, 09:10 PM
rjferber's Avatar
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2012
Location: 
Omaha, NE
Posts: 
1,431
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR308Guy View Post
If you are looking for a new extractor for your Sako Quad Range you need to go look at Midwest Gun Works Inc the part number you need is S5940229; it is listed as "Sako P94 Extractor Assembly". It is listed in the Sako P94 parts listing, it is the same part as a Sako Quad. Cost $35.54 + shipping.

Does your Sako Quad Range have a factory barrel or a aftermarket one?
LR308Guy - Thanks for that input - Midwest Gun Works is also out of stock, however, a much better price than Brownell's, so went on their notify me when available list.

I am using the Sako 22 LR barrel that came with my Quad Range. Since this problem seem to be related to the 22 LR & 17 HM2 only I could just put my 17 HMR barrel on and use it. but I would like to get this figured out.

I looked at the extractor on a brand new Sako Finnfire II bolt today and as wproct previously mentioned it has that same little piece missing on that inside corner . . . thus expect a new extractor will not fix the issue. I did take mine out, cleaned everything very well, and inspected it and there is no fresh break on the extractor . . . it looks just like the one I saw today on the Finnfire II. So I expect I need to do a bit of work on getting that extractor to work properly on the 22 LR barrel.

It's just interesting it ejects "live" rounds just fine . . . but once fired it has challenges grabbing the case rim.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-16-2020, 08:59 AM
Mike_AK is online now
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Feb 2007
Posts: 
2,948
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR308Guy View Post
The extractor was hitting the barrel and moving away from the case before firing.
It's supposed to do that. It follows the extractor cut inward as the bolt is retracted and engages the rim again. I imagine if you could find a stronger extractor spring it would fix your problem.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-07-2020, 06:07 PM
rjferber's Avatar
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2012
Location: 
Omaha, NE
Posts: 
1,431
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Range Session After Working On the Extractor

I finally got to the range to try the Sako Quad Range again after I did a "small" amount of work on the extractor ( Nothing too dramatic ). I also did some polishing on the cutout in the barrel just in case there were some burrs or tool marks in that area.

The new extractor kit did arrive from Brownell's - I was actually going to cancel that order and switch to Midwest Gun Works which was cheaper, but they were also back-ordered. At any rate, I have a backup in case I mess this one up.

I had taken off the scope while working on the Quad Range so figured I would need a few rounds to get that re-sighted in, but it was very close. I started with some CCI Std Velocity ( Four groups of five shots ), then moved on to some of the CMP Eley that came in, and finished up with SK Magazine. Not so much interested in group size as extractor function was the main focus of the day. The first three groups of CCI Std Vel went well so I was feeling very pleased with myself . . . then the problem returned in group number 4. Bummer. I switched to the CMP Eley and was getting similar results.

Just for grins, I started closing the bolt with a bit more force and the problem seemed to disappear. Then on to my final groups with SK Magazine, again using a bit more force to close the bolt and the problem did not reappear.

I might try just a bit more filing on the extractor angle as noted earlier in the Sako forum threads . . . but will be okay with cycling the bolt with a bit more force as I have heard that solution on other rimfires.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x