Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Red dots Side by side pics

5K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  lasnyder 
#1 · (Edited)
since I unmounted my Vortex Venom for warranty work, and still waiting on my Lobos mount for the 22/45 and Holosun HS507 X2, I thought I'd take pictures of them side by side... take your pick, Long and thin, or Short and fat :D. The Holosun looks more bluish than the Vortex, but I must say they are similar. Maybe it's my lighting playing a part here.
=====

Edit:
Holosun has selectable reticles which is great. The reticles are also "redder" that that of the Vortex. When I view them together, the Vortex reticle becomes pale red or reddish orange.

Windage and elevation adjustment on the Holosun has very positive and audible clicks while it's very light to non existent on the Vortex.

IIRC, warranty on Holosun is just 1 year, while Vortex has Lifetime.

Holosun has larger foot print.

Battery placement and ease of changing and knowing that you won't break or lose anything is an advantage of the Vortex. While the Holosun's other advantages in addition to the above are it can use sunlight as power source prolonging battery life, feels and built tougher.

Cost: Holosun - $310, Vortex - $200 on sale, $249 normal price

They are both great red dots, and I think it's a personal preference for choosing one against the other ...

======================

Edit 2: Forgot to mention, the Vortex comes with a rubber cover which helps protect it especially when cleaning the gun, Holosun doesn't.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the comparison. I'm 60 and have never looked through a red dot in my life. Now that both my Mark IV Target and Mark IV 22/45 have VQ accurizing kits installed I've been tossing around the idea of a red dot one one. My eyes are pretty average at best at close range so I thought why not try a red dot. Pretty set on picking the 22/45. Been leaning towards that Vortex but not for any reason other than the popularity I'd heard of.

#16 ·
Do it! Look around for and through several before buying. I have a Swampfox Kingslayer with the green circle dot on my MK IV .22/45 Tactical. The difference between a red dot and irons is amazing due to being able to see both the reticle and target better. I put the Swampfox on while in the middle of accuracy testing various loads from my inventory. I'm convinced it helped my shooting.

I was fighting with trying to find the "sweet spot" in my progressive lens glasses so I could focus on the front sight better. I also had floaters drifting over obscuring the sight causing me to have to shake my head and blink and start over. Not so much an issue now since the reticle is now the sharpest in the far-vision portion of the lens. A quick blink and head shake to move the floaters and I can quickly and comfortably reacquire the sight and target. Works great with contacts too and I can see both the target and the dot in sharp focus.

#4 ·
Warrantee goes to the Vortex. I had to send one back and with no questions asked they sent me a new one. I've had it for 3 years with no problems.

Holosun has the advantage of the auto on feature. Saves battery life.

I don't like the circle and dot. The dot itself is easy to find. The circle makes me rush the shot without being centered on the target.

Battery placement goes with the Vortex also. One of the reasons I don't like the Venom either is the battery. The sight has to be removed to get to the compartment and they you need to re sight in your gun.

#11 · (Edited)

Battery placement goes with the Vortex also. One of the reasons I don't like the Venom either is the battery. The sight has to be removed to get to the compartment and they you need to re sight in your gun.
Venom battery is replaced easily on TOP without removing.. I think you mean the Viper.. the VIPER must be removed to replace the battery.

https://www.riflescopelevel.com/vortex-venom-vs-viper/

#5 ·
I've been running a Burris Fast Fire II on my Buck Mark 5.5 since the FFII first came out. Great red dot, but, I always had a little trouble getting the dot in the window quickly. And just a little movement once the dot was centered caused the dot to disappear, even if momentarily. A couple of weeks ago I ran across a company called 'AT3 Tactical'. After some internet research, I figured I'd give their RD-50 Micro sight a try. For $75.00 it is a fantastic red dot. I prefer it much better than the FF, Venom, etc., type red dots. Full lifetime, no questions asked warranties on all their products, as well.

https://www.at3tactical.com/products/at3-rd-50-micro-red-dot-reflex-sight

Fast Fire

AT3 Tactical RD-50

#8 ·
Great red dot, but, I always had a little trouble getting the dot in the window quickly. And just a little movement once the dot was centered caused the dot to disappear, even if momentarily.
Finally, a pic of a red dot vs a reflex, even when manufacturers choose to use the bubba terminology.

.. but, yeah, (*in my experience*) they are far more finicky than a reflex. Much like a scope. For plinking, great, but for fast target acquisition, I'd go the other way.

#7 ·
I would choose the Vortex. The Holosun is just big and clunky compared to it and covers a lot of your target like the small tube sights. I have a couple of red dots on rifles that have the red dot with circle option and I never use it as I find it distracting. All I want is a dot. The warranty also comes into play. At their price point why won't Holosun provide a lifetime warranty? I'm not trying to influence anyone, just stating my personal preference.

#9 ·
Wow, thanks for the post . I was mistaken thinking the Holosun also had a lifetime warranty . That’s a deal breaker for me.

I have a Venom . I had to send it back under warranty and they replaced it within ten days .

I also have a Sig Romeo red dot . I like it a lot . It seems sturdier than the Vortex . But Sigs lifetime warranty is a little confusing. The warranty on the electronics is 5 years. Everything else is lifetime .

#15 ·
XDM9MM:

Now you've got a great shooter. Only thing I would add are the Bill Striplin Cornerstone Safety and Thumb Rest. Both help me get my grip consistent. I like resting my right thumb on the safety. It's big enough that my hand does not slip. It's also easy to release the safety when coming up on that first target. Yes, I do put my safety on between runs.

The Thumb Rest helps me keep my wrists bent so that my grip doesn't change from all that massive .22 recoil.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
just a comment from a new red dot shooter... I've just started shooting Steel Challenge in Florida, and the extremely bright sunlight can wash out some dots... one range faces east and another west... my 507 and 510 Holosun sights with the solar panels automatically brighten the dot ... I just have to remember to remove my brimmed hat when shooting the close coupled rifle with the sun behind me... regards... Steel Challenge requires quick transition between steel targets... the 510's large window, though not looking too svelte, really works well

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.