Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Red Dot Placement on Pistol top rail?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Nolan 
#1 ·
What do experienced shooters prefer for red dot placement? Far back on the receiver? Mid-barrel? Other?

The logic of placing a red dot sight over the grips towards the rear of the frame would seem to be minimizing shake on target. But whaddoIknow?

The pistol in question is a High Standard X-series Victor. The supplied rail has notches that would allow pretty much any configuration the shooter preferred. The sight in question is an AT3 RD-50 tube sight for plinking at 15-50 yards with a 2 MOA dot.

#3 ·
I have red dots on three centerfire revolvers for silhouette. When I first tried a dot about 7 years ago I mounted it forward on the rail, and had a lot of trouble finding the dot. I noticed most others at the shoots had them back as far as they would go, so I moved mine back to try it, and every one I have put on a pistol since goes to the back. I myself can pick up / find the dot quicker, and the balance feels better with it at the back.
Try it and see which feels better.

#4 ·
With a reflex type red dot, I like to have the lens as close to the pivot point of the pistol as possible. This is generally above the front of the trigger guard or just inside the trigger guard. That may differ depending on your grip and the gun. Having the lens right where the gun pivots under recoil minimizes how much the dot moves up and down. With a .22 it is not as critical as it is for a centerfire caliber.

With a tube type red dot, the front lens is not the reflex lens, it will be somewhere slightly ahead of the adjustment knobs. Mount the scope loosely and move it front to back as you are rocking the gun in hand as if under recoil and watch the dot movement. When you find the least movement, lock it down, that will generally be with the adjustment knobs just behind the front of the trigger guard.

At the range, hold the gun in a normal grip and fire several rapid shots while tracking the dot movement. Adjust front to back as necessary. Once you've found the best position, then go ahead and zero the scope.

Nolan

#5 ·
I've never run one on a pistol, but at all the USPSA matches I've been to where some competitors have them, every one is as far back as it will go.

It makes sense considering how far away from your eye you hold a pistol, compared to how close a sight is on a rifle.

Never thought much about it but now wonder if the ability to holster comes into play as well.

#6 ·
I've never run one on a pistol, but at all the USPSA matches I've been to where some competitors have them, every one is as far back as it will go.

It makes sense considering how far away from your eye you hold a pistol, compared to how close a sight is on a rifle.

Never thought much about it but now wonder if the ability to holster comes into play as well.
When I shoot USPSA, I shoot mostly Open or Limited division and my holsters only cover the triggerguard. Before anyone freaks out, the holsters have a very effective locking mechanism that guarantees a major wedgie and a high pitched voice if you try to draw the gun without releasing the lock.

I suspect the guns you saw at the USPSA matches were shooting Carry Optics division and the placement of the red dot and the holsters are regulated. The red dots have to be mounted to the slide and the best location for that is right where the rear sight was mounted. Holsters have to cover a certain amount of the gun as well as the triggerguard.

Nolan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.