Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Volquartsen Scorpion Vs Smith&Wesson 41

8K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Shootin4Xs 
#1 ·

A picture speaks a thousand words.
Meet my new friend,,,,,,,,,Named her, "Black death.

See less See more
#5 ·
My 41 was a POS too. Junk. It was accurate but it never could cycle reliably. Smith and wesson couldnt even fix it.

The Scorpion puts the Smith & Wesson model 41 to complete shame. Better looking, more accurate, much more reliable, smoother. Name a category and the Scorpion beats the model 41 in all of them.

If you're looking for light weight, my gun up there isn't the one you want. It's an all stainless steel model and it has some heft to it. But for me, I'll take the stainless steel model every time. Darn thing barely moves when fired. Superbly accurate. Really really accurate. Does not feel like a toy at all. I do not think the model I have is made any longer. Mine is a clone of the all steel Volquartsen .22WMR pistol, only chambered in 22lr with a target frame. It is the finest handgun I have ever owned.

#6 ·
That is one handsome pistol! I guess I have been just lucky as far as model 41 pistols are concerned. I have owned 3 of them in my lifetime and each one of them functioned perfectly. However, what I have found is that I just really prefer the grip angle of my Ruger MKII pistols. They are more comfortable and natural for me to shoot.

#10 · (Edited)
Pre Scorpion, now discontinued. :(

V-2000

Super accurate, and goes bang every time.
20 shots of CCI SV at 25yds off a MTM rest.

When I was shooting it in my ranges Bullseye league, we came close to banning SW41's because of alibis. I'm not kidding.
I will say that they are a great looking pistol, and if you take them apart their is nothing cheap about them. However unfortunately many just wont' cycle reliably

I now shoot mine in Steel Challenges using a C-More.

I've seen dozens of different Scorpions, most of which look "Nasty.
Your's is right there with the very nastiest of them. :)
Great looking pistol.

Smooth

If you notice, I had mine made without a front sight dovetail. I new I wasn't ever going to shoot it with Irons, and I didn't want to look at the empty dovetail.
The rear dovetail is just part of a Ruger receiver

#11 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the replies and compliments. Really appreciate it.
I lusted for the Volquartsen V2000 many years ago. That is a very nice pistol.

Today I changed the looks of mine. My lower rail came in. And my Leupold fx2 2x magnification scope arrived. I have it set up where I can switch from the Holosun red dot, to the scope when I want to.
I also picked up an 1200 lumen Olight for the lower rail. I will use that at night for beaver and Nutria rats. I got the wrong one though. So I have to take it back tomorrow and exchange it for the 1500 lumen, rechargeable. This one isnt rechargeable. I do not know how I missed that. But boy oh boy does it light it up outside. It makes daylight in pitch black well beyond 100 yards.

#13 ·
I notice on the VQ site they calin the trigger to be at 2.2 lbs. They claim 2-3 on their Ruger accurizing kit. Mine comes out 1lb 2 oz.

I was just wondering if the triggers on the scorpions could be made closer to 1 to 1.5 lbs? Is there any adjustment?
There are pre-travel and over travel screws. I have not measured mine. It's nice.
Mine acts like a two stage trigger. You have a bit of take up, it hits the wall, and anything after that she sends one down range. I'm sure I could adjust that out of it, but I like it the way it is. I could make it a 1 pound trigger , or a 1.5 pound trigger. But It's pretty nice now. I might do that at some point. So the answer to your question is yes, but no. They can be made to have a lighter weight of pull but it would be a manual reshape with a stone and polish job. No magic screws to take the weight down.

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks webfoot ! Funny story! Took me awhile to find stainless frame and stainless upper got the parts yesterday! And all be darned I looked of volquartsen close out and they had two black nitride stainless scorpions ! For sale I had to chuckle a little! But it is a shooter! And I’m guessing it weighs 47 to 50 ounces steadiest gun I have ever shot and trigger is outstanding! Barrel has a different profile than O.P. Barrel but I can live with that just wanted a all black nitride stainless pistol!

#20 · (Edited)
I sighted it in today ! I will get some targets to post next few days! That black nitride is easiest to clean even inside it doesn’t get residue sticking like my other pistols does ! And the machining and fit are best I have seen feed ramp is also polished nicely! I have an aluminum scorpion to and it’s a good pistol but I think the stainless is superior in fit and finish and weight! And for precision shooting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.