Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Inherited an SA-22, missing front sight

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  JB in SC 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Learned to shoot and hunt from my grandfather, grew up shooting a Browning SA-22 he bought in 87. He had all girls and was excited to have a grandson at last, I suppose haha.

Anyway, he passed a while back and left the Browning to me.

It's all setup with a scope (we hunted racoons with it when I was younger). He'd left a baggie with the OEM flip rear and screws to replace the scope mount setup so I'm good there.

No front sight, though. Trying to track one down.

Looking at the Marble's green fiber setup from Midwest. I've read that the front dovetail on the barrel is wider than normal, though some say the Marble's fit perfect.

Also, I'm not sure which height to grab (OEM I think is .410, the Marble's closest is .450).

Any help would be awesome.

Thank you!

See less See more
#10 ·
Having used the SA22 front sight for a number of custom projects, since I favor the shape of the Browning blade, I can say you should stick with the OEM. Better quality than most of the others. I don’t think there is any such thing as a “standard” 3/8” dovetail. I always cut a 60 degree dovetail undersized and then fit. The initial “undersized” Dovetail is sometimes just right, or, occasionally even too wide for many after-market sights. I’ve never had an SA22 front sight from Browning not fit the Browning dovetail, however. Very consistent.
TBR

#11 ·
I got one from MGW a few weeks ago, it’s a very tight fit. Belgian SA-22’s might have a more narrow dovetail, but my memory might be incorrect. Just knock a bit off the front of the sight if it’s really tight, you can always give it a little tap with a punch to make the sight tighter. Do not touch the dovetail in the barrel, better to mess up a sight than the rifle.

#12 ·
Thanks so much guys!

I had overlooked the OEM post from Browning just because it was out of stock at the couple places I checked. Will jump on it now though, good to get this old girl back to original.

Now I've just gotta figure how to clean the reciever without losing any pieces and I'm good to go haha.

#16 · (Edited)
You were very fortunate to get all the "extras". That doesn't happen very often with an older firearm.

Be sure to remove and clean behind the extractor. Build up there can cause problems. I use the pin end of the striker (for some reason Browning has always called this a firing pin) to push the extractor spring retaining pin out enough to grab it. Be careful! That little spring is stronger than you might think.

As far as MGW, I've found Browinng's parts prices to be much better.

#19 ·
Since we're strolling down memory lane, I gave about the same for mine at about the same time, but I bought mine at Montgomery Wards. I chose it over the Marlin 39 because it was SO much lighter. Weird thing is I can't remember when, where or how much I sold it for????

MY biggest regret is not buying the chrome Renaissance pistols when you could get the three pistol set for $400. Of course that would have been about a 10th of my annual income at the time. :eek:

#20 ·
I guess mine was priced about the same in 1967. For some reason $98 came to mind.

A friend of mine recently asked me about "that blonde Browning rifle you had when we were in high school", he was surprised I still owned it. I was surprised he remembered it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.