Unertl cross hair wire - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:58 PM
Rick H.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Pumps.22: It's been several years since I talked with him. Hopefully he will get back to you. Let me know if he doesn't so I can ditch the info. Good luck!

Rick H.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:38 PM
btbell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"I wonder how they put the "target dot" on the wire?"

"Back then he used black widow spider web to suspend the dot. Guess he still does."
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=398796

I have a Lyman Alaskan 2.5X with a Lee Dot, and just last week looked through a Weaver 330 with a Lee Dot. In both cases the cross hairs are nearly invisible!

I'm not too proud to say that I did a quick & dirty (ok, not so dirty) replacement of the cross hairs on a Unertl 16X with single strands of unwaxed CVS dental floss, and it gave a nice "Fine Cross Hair" result; still looking good 2 years later.

I figure that the dental floss is not too different from spider silk.... and much easier to come by!
Old 09-18-2020, 11:53 AM
LeShaghal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btbell View Post
I figure that the dental floss is not too different from spider silk.... and much easier to come by!
Yeah, so this is the secret.
Good floss is Dyneama (thinly spun UHMW) Its super strong (used in the finest climbing gear) and it gets that way by having millions of tiny fibers.....also it stretches!

Take floss down to its finest component, make sure you have one fiber not Two!*
Then "S" it around the screws so when you tighten them it pulls the fiber taught.
Makes a fine cross hair that's pretty tough, costs $0.001, and beats the heck out of harvesting spider webs from under the stairs!
Old 09-18-2020, 05:11 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
Pumps.22: It's been several years since I talked with him. Hopefully he will get back to you. Let me know if he doesn't so I can ditch the info. Good luck!

Rick H.
Never heard back from him......
Old 09-21-2020, 06:54 AM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks Pumps, I will do some more digging on this. If I remember correctly this information came from the CMP forum. Perhaps he is no longer available.

Rick H.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:06 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think he is the same fellow that I purchased wire from several years ago. Unfortunately, I think the wire was in a small manilla folder and got accidently thrown out in a recent cleaning session in my shop.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:59 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
I think he is the same fellow that I purchased wire from several years ago. Unfortunately, I think the wire was in a small manilla folder and got accidently thrown out in a recent cleaning session in my shop.
That sounds like what has come to be known at my house as a "cleaning fit."
Old 09-21-2020, 11:17 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I seem to suffer from an increased number of such incidents in the last year or so. Can't have anything to do with being a citizen of "Geezerland".
Old 09-21-2020, 01:41 PM
Artd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Black Widow Silk

During WW2, the Army collected Black Widows and harvested their silk threads for cross-hairs. Probably a few hanging around your house. Check around your deck.

The-patriotic-black-widow-spiders-of-World-War-II
Old 09-28-2020, 06:40 PM
arnie19

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would like to see a video on how to replace the wire and get it exactly square and how they anchor the wire .
Old 09-29-2020, 08:32 AM
Kurt701
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reticle

Here are a couple of you tube video. Not the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Q-2E6Tz7M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP0kcEWZf5M
Old 09-30-2020, 04:16 PM
martinishootist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used the 0.0005" diameter tungsten wire to replace the reticle in a Unertl 1 1/4" Varmint scope--12x. It is quite fine, but perfect for my intended use. IIRC, I can quarter a 1" target dot at 200 yd.

Clarence
Old 10-01-2020, 08:17 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Adding an update to my crosshair adventures...

I have replaced the offending crosshair in my 15X Ultravarmint. I would like to give a big shout-out to RFC member Carney Pace for his generosity in sending me some of his crosshair wire to do the job. Before that happened, I had ordered some .0005" tungsten wire off Ebay. Unfortunately, it took almost two weeks to get the wire, and I needed the scope for this coming Saturday's benchrest match. In the meantime I received Carney Pace's wire which he described as being between the medium and fine wire - I'm guessing .0007" - in diameter. So I decided to replace the one faulty wire with his wire, I liked the results so well that I considered replacing the other original wire. But after testing the gun scope combo on the bench, I decided to go with it as it as is for the time being.....the diameter of the two wires is so close as to not be a distraction at all.....you have to look close to see it.

As a little added note; I have this scope on a Winchester 52D. I have a 2" 20X Unertl Target scope on a 52E. In our matches I am currently using the D, and have tried switching the 20X Unertl over to the D. But, and even though the 20X performs just fine on the E, when I mount the 20X on the D, The D's accuracy falls off slightly. I have no idea why other than that the 20X scope is a somewhat longer and heavier scope and being mounted on the barrel, it in some way affects the barrel harmonics on the 52D in such a way that impacts accuracy. My old eyes could sure benefit from the increased magnification.

I would like to extend a heartfelt thanks to all of you for your contributions and offers of crosshair wire.

James

Last edited by pump .22s; 10-01-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:01 PM
Sandy22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
My old eyes could sure benefit from the increased magnification.
I think Unertl used to offer replacement eyepieces to increase magnification. I imagine it wouldn't be an easy thing to find, but...?
Old 10-02-2020, 07:57 AM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Unertl did in fact have increasing and decreasing power eyepieces. I have an increasing eyepiece and it supposedly increases power by about 1/3rd. The increasing eyepiece is a bit shorter than a standard eyepiece which can be a negative aspect. I have used it a few times with mixed results.

Rick H.