Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:50 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Considering a P22

Read this article and now I want one

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/walther-p22-review/

What do I need to know about this pistol before I buy one?

Last edited by octanejunkie; 07-11-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:57 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are only three choices in this type of pistol. Walther P22, Ruger SR 22 and S&W M&P .22 compact. I've not seen a good barrel in a Smith yet. Gave mine away after the third barrel and was told that was as good as they had. The Ruger is well liked. More expensive than a P22. What you are looking at is a Q model. The latest come with a captive recoil spring assembly. Which is a good addition. It is beefier than the aftermarket versions.

There is some question if the QD model is still produced. Some say no. I have a 2017 version with the decocking lever. Some say that has already been dropped. I can take it or leave it....or, simply remove the internal lever.

Early models of these pistols had plenty of problems....and the Ruger had more than a few itself. Most are sorted out for both pistols now. The slide is stronger on the Q model P22s beginning in about 2010. The Walther has a lifetime warranty. Comes with a threaded barrel so an adapter is easily screwed on to accept a silencer. Field stripping is very easy and there is really no reason to go past that unless you want to do some mods......sear work, etc. Accuracy from 25M using a mechanical rest. The 3.4" barrel is good for sub 2" groups, the 5" version is good for sub 1" groups.

These pistols have the easiest loading magazines of any I've ever used. The sights are polymer but properly installed are tough. You can damage the rear one if you drop the pistol but Walther will fix it for you.

These pistols have never been very reliable with weak ammo regardless of what people might say. That has been one of the biggest problems from day one. Full slide .22 pistols require more powerful ammo and a firm grip. No limp wristing. Buy Remington Golden Bullets or CCI mini mags until you have it well broken in. I paid $225 for mine new from Ky Gun Co. Keep your eye peeled if you are into on-line purchases. They go on sale pretty frequently. I'm still shooting a 2007 model that probably has 50K rounds through it. Walther keeps it up to speed if I need something. I've put up a detailed thread here somewhere on the Q model and QD model.....and we've seen every problem a P22 might ever have. Lifetime warranty and not much will rust on it. 1917

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 07-12-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:54 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you handled a P22? They are tiny (and I don't have huge hands). The S&W .22 Compact is tiny as well, and they have had some issues. The P22 has had issues over the years also, but that may be corrected at this point.

As I usually say...check out the PPQ .22.

The PPQ .22 is full-size, and feels like a real gun. It shoots standard velocity ammo without any issues.

I have numerous .22 pistols,including a new Taurus TX22, and the PPQ is my favorite. They are about the same price - more than the P22 - but worth it IMO.

I agree with FlysAlot - I think 1917-1911M knows more about the P22 than all but a few designers at Walther!

PPQ .22 -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 10:02 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The PPQ is a good pistol. It is where the P 22 development money went. But, it is a full size pistol and also available with a 5" barrel which is the one I would want but the grip is too large for my hands. Walther also makes the full size Smith M&P compact but the Walther is the better looking pistol. Excellent trainer for the full size PPQ 9mm, .40 or .45.

The longer the barrel the less ammo sensitive these pistols are. The 5" P22 is more accurate and feeds a wider variety of ammo but I still don't like the stabilizer which is why I put up photoshopped ( at least as far as my poor skills go of what I would like to see in the P22. If you have large hands the grip on the P22 is small even with the large palm swell installed. For children it is a great size. A sleeve an always be installed over it if it needs to be a bit larger. I'm still pulling for an aluminum slide and I still don't see why the frame couldn't be made of mim'd steel. That would bring it up to almost Ruger MK quality. BTW, Ruger makes a lightweight series in the 22/45 pistol. 2x what a P22 costs though.

There is no way to add optics to a P22. You can add a laser. For the price it is pretty much a fun gun and easily suppressed. 1917

I keep showing Walther an option for a target P22 pistol but the money is going into the PPQ. 1917
Old 07-12-2019, 10:15 AM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks gents. There is no CA-specific PPQ .22, and all have threaded barrels, so that gun is unfortunately a no go for me in California.

I have a 22/45 5" target model and I honestly don't expect much from a sub $300 gun w/3.4" barrel as far as accuracy goes. I'm looking for a fun .22 semi for my gf to shoot, she has small hands, and maybe someday my daughter. My LGS has a P22 that i will go handle this weekend.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2019, 11:06 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
Thanks gents. There is no CA-specific PPQ .22, and all have threaded barrels, so that gun is unfortunately a no go for me in California.

I have a 22/45 5" target model and I honestly don't expect much from a sub $300 gun w/3.4" barrel as far as accuracy goes. I'm looking for a fun .22 semi for my gf to shoot, she has small hands, and maybe someday my daughter. My LGS has a P22 that i will go handle this weekend.
Gotta keep Cali safe ya know...

The P22 may be a good choice for you then.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:34 AM
thudd3r
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
based on your description (for girlfriend with small hands and wife) it should be a decent choice. i bought one early on and the wife has put a few rounds through it but it rarely leaves the safe these days. if i was the type to ever get rid of a gun, it would be on the list to go.

i ended up putting the 5" barrel on it, but the only ammo i ever had an issue with was thunderbolts...and i quit shooting that crap a long time ago, so i have no idea if the barrel helped much as far as ammo sensitivity. i did find that the barrel makes the firearm a bit more of a pain to tear down and makes it pretty much impossible to swap out the front sight.

i also added the tandemkross wingman bumpers, which in combination with the larger backstrap, helps with my larger hands, but it is still too small

oh...the safety stills feels backwards

Last edited by thudd3r; 07-13-2019 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:08 AM
FrankW

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My shooting partner has a Ruger SR22. He had a lot of problems with jamming. He returned it to Ruger and they replaced the gun. He got the new gun about three weeks ago. His groups were terrible and we took a look at the barrel. The crown was bad and there were machining gouges around the inside of the barrel close to the crown. You could look inside the muzzle with a light and see the gouges. The crown had small sliver of metal sticking out from the crown.

Ruger asked for the gun back and my friend is still waiting to find out what they are going to do. Ruger has had the second gun about two weeks, He likes the gun and Ruger has been good so far. But, it seems like Ruger has a QC problem with the SR22.

Frank
Old 07-13-2019, 09:24 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I said Walther makes the S&W M&P compact above. That is wrong. I can't edit. Walther makes the full size pistol. Smith makes the compact and everyone I've looked at has a bad barrel. Rough machining along the entire length of the bore.

The P22 safety works like the safety on all PP pistols. It's almost a two handed effort for me to operate it when pressing to fire. The Ruger safety has to be lifted....opposite of what you might expect. A 1911 has the pivot pin at the front of the part so pressing it down works very nicely. Many of the recent pistols, CCP, Smith, etc. have the pivot pin at the rear of the similar styled lever but for my hand they don't work as well because my thumb presses right down on top of the pivot pin. A Smith Shield has a small safety but it works very well, pivoting up and down like a 1911 with a small lever. But, the P22 is a plinker....so who cares how the safety works as long as it works. Same for the other two contenders.

Walther makes excellent barrels. The 3.4" barrel is very good for minute of can. If you are concerned about accuracy at 25M and need under 1" groups, go for the 5" barrel target version. Ruger also makes a 4.5" barrel SR 22 but they seem to be hard to find and are pretty expensive. 1917
Old 07-13-2019, 02:23 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
I have a new S&W M&P Compact .22. I bought one a couple of years ago and sent it back w/o firing it for having a bad barrel. The new one is good and shoots well. Evidently they fixed them or I just got a good one. It is made in the USA, not by Walther.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:47 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Same here, my recently purchased S&W Compact is shooting just fine, granted I'm using it for a Suppressed plinker but any decent sized chunk of Clay Pigeon at 20 yards is doomed and that's good enough for me.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:11 PM
WVdavidB

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've have a 22/45 Lite original gold one and an Walther P22. I prefer the 22/45 over the Walther for target shooting or plinking. But with a TandemKross guide rod and mag extension it makes the P22 a little more comfortable and easier to take down. The nag relseas is wonkey but the DA/SA trigger makes it good for training. Any gun that gets people out shooting is a good gun in my book!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2019, 07:38 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The P22 originally landed on the California banned assault firearm list. Walther was able to work out a deal to make it legal by installing a locked on barrel nut with no wrench lands. It would seem something very similar could be done with the PPQ. 1917
Old 08-12-2019, 08:58 PM
Winnut
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just get a Browning Buckmark of your choice...I did. Four so far.

Last edited by Winnut; 08-12-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:00 PM
Winnut
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
My shooting partner has a Ruger SR22. He had a lot of problems with jamming. He returned it to Ruger and they replaced the gun. He got the new gun about three weeks ago. His groups were terrible and we took a look at the barrel. The crown was bad and there were machining gouges around the inside of the barrel close to the crown. You could look inside the muzzle with a light and see the gouges. The crown had small sliver of metal sticking out from the crown.

Ruger asked for the gun back and my friend is still waiting to find out what they are going to do. Ruger has had the second gun about two weeks, He likes the gun and Ruger has been good so far. But, it seems like Ruger has a QC problem with the SR22.

Frank
Ruger has QC problems, period.