Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:19 PM
walesdave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New RPR

Hi All

I'm thinking of getting a Ruger Precision Rimfire (when the UK importer finally get off their backside!).

Couple of questions.....
  • mixed reviews reading through this forum, do people regret buying one?
  • apart from the new colours, are RPRs made today the same as the ones first produced? Reason for asking, one of my local guns shops say they have a '2nd gen' RPR in stock (2nd hand so I'm not too interested in it) - what changes are there in the 2nd gen?
  • has anyone used the UTG Leapers bipods on the RPR? The ones that mount each leg independantly on either side of the m-lok handguard? If you have, what length did you go for and when folded do they stick out of the side of the rifle too much?
  • I don't have any experience or tools for gunsmithing etc. What do people do to make the bolt close smoother etc. that can be done by hand?

Cheers

David
Old 08-25-2019, 07:24 PM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one and at first I had my doubts about it but I'm well satisfied with it now after some" tuning". I know nothing about any changes made since production began so can;t help with that question. I'm no help with your bipod question either as I don't own one and don't intend to. I shoot it like all my other rifles, off a heavy front rest and a rear sandbag.

There is a sharp corner where the bolt closes. I used a diamond fish hook sharpener to put a radius on that and it helped. It will get smoother as you wear it in by shooting the gun. Part of the effort to close the bolt comes from cocking the action. I hold the trigger back and close the bolt when finished with a shooting session. It doesn't require much effort to close the bolt that way.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:29 PM
krunchnik
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like mine and have gotten good accuracy from mine.My bolt has always closed fairly easy so I didn't have to work on that.I have a Vortex Crossfire II that I mounted with the Vortex Medium height rings and did not have to mess with the rail at all.
As far as there being 2 different generation builds I am not aware if there are.
All in all I would purchase the rifle without any regrets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 08:55 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought one in February and have put 100 to 300 rounds per week through it since then. It is quite accurate and since removing the trigger spring it has a 1.5 pound trigger.

I like it very much.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:57 AM
ETTullia

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello Sir,
From my limited experience I would not recommend the gun in 22 magnum. The accuracy, or inconsistent accuracy, is frustrating. I have the UTG bipods that mount on either side of the forend. I have the short model. I like it but with a monopod on the stock the full extension is not enough. The short version is good alone but not when using a monopod. I have the shortest accupod available. Also, the width of the gun with the independent bipod arms makes the gun wide. That is a factor in my gun safe as well as gun cases when transporting the gun to/from the range. I prefer a bipod that allows a bit of tilting and movement. For those reasons I cannot recommend the bipod system. The trigger on the gun was fine as is. The scope mount I use a the Leupold one piece with a Vortex tactical scope. The scope height is perfect for me and the Leupold mount allows for/aft adjustment for proper eye relief. I spent some money learning what I like and wasnít concerned because Iím sure I can get my costs back at the next gun show. I hope this info helps some.
Warm Regards,
Emmett
Old 08-26-2019, 06:58 PM
S1loki
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am using a set of the UTG legs. I have the 6"-9" version which work for me shooting prone. With them mounted, the width is just about 4" in the stowed position. They mount cleanly and(the screws) do not interfere with the barrel. They lock into position firmly also.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:04 PM
S1loki

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Loved the 22lr enough that I had my local shop order me a 17HMR. I ended up waiting about four months for him to actually latch onto one for me. Since then, he's sold six more of the 17HMR and one in 22WMR.

Not quite sure as to what said dealer means by 2nd generation. Other than the mag well due to the longer magnum cartridge, my two look exactly the same.

Last edited by S1loki; 08-26-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:39 PM
700PSS Shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No regrets. I bought it for what it is - a reasonable priced rifles of a specific style. I am not disappointed.

It is not as accurate as my Sako Finnfires or Krico 340S, both which are traditional wooden stocked rifles with good bedding.

I prefer a more traditional stock so for me the jury is out on the feel of the rifle, especially the pistol grip.

I have not modded the rifle except for smoothing up the bolt with stoning and good lube (much needed!) and fitting an A1 AR flash hider with a 1/2" neoprene washer instead of a crush washer. I have read reports that using the neoprene washer will tighten groups with the original thread protector also. I also added a section of rail covers to the bottom of the buttstock.

Mine was all torqued to spec from the factory when I bought it. I have noticed the barrel settled after 100 rounds and will see if it improves more. No flyer problems except those of my own making. All shooting has been 100 years or less and using only the 10 round magazines.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:49 PM
1bdvet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Love this rifle, have it in 17HMR and is accurate at 100 yards, here is my target 15 rounds in each bulls eye, excerpt for upper left, went home.

%
Old 09-14-2019, 05:27 PM
AveragEd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought two of them in 22LR last December, one for me and one for my grandson who is now nine months old. Our son and I shot both of them and found them very accurate for regular production rifles with nothing done to them except trigger adjustments. The grandson's is the version with a 15-round magazine while mine is the version with 10-round rotary magazines. His wears one of Leupold's newer 3-9x rimfire scopes with a reticle calibrated for drop with 40-grain bullets; mine has a discontinued Leupold 6-18x 40mm AO VX-2 Target scope with a dot reticle.

I replaced the grips on both rifles with MagPul grips that duplicate the 1911 pistol grip angle (Ruger's grip angle is uncomfortable for my arthritic wrists), are rubber coated and have a removable cap in the bottom so the cavity can be used for whatever. I polished the bolt body on mine for appearance and have recently replaced the barrel with a slimmer 20-inch stainless steel barrel from McGowen Precision Barrels in Kalispell, Montana.

I finally had time to shoot the new barrel today at 50 yards and found it very accurate, even with my 72 year-old, cataract-infected eyes. The target photo insists upon uploading with a 90-degree left rotation so you'll have to forgive me for that. The five shots in the lower right quadrant are the first shots through the new barrel. I then adjusted the elevation and shot the hole to the right of the center bull followed by four scope adjustments. I then shot four 10-round groups, beginning with the upper left and then the upper right.

At that point, my eyes were giving out on me and the lower left group was the result. I "took five" and shot the last group on the lower right. I'm certain that one of you younger guys with better eyes than mine could shrink even the best group by 25% or so. The ammunition used was CCI Green Tag.

I had another stainless steel barrel made by McGowen in .850 thickness and the standard 18" length. I haven't decided what I will do with it - I may sell it as I found the rifle muzzle-heavy with the factory barrel so this one won't be any different.

Especially for the money, I don't think you can go wrong with one of these rifles.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0328.jpg (553.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0329.jpg (491.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0326.jpg (531.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-16-2019, 10:20 AM
Realbear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just picked one up two weeks ago and only have 200 - 300 rounds through it. I have mainly been shooting CCI Standard Velocity and get 5 shot 1" 50 yard groups through it consistently with occasional flyers. I have been working on trigger getting the trigger right, length of pull, comb height, etc. so no real accuracy work yet.
Long story short....I love the rifle and do not doubt my purchase at all.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:10 PM
Booner1334
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When Ruger came out with the .22RPR, their owners manual said to torque the action screws to 35 inch pounds, but if the rifle was one of the first-made guns, the owners manual of those guns contained an additional flier stating the action screws should not be torqued higher than 25 inch pounds. (I have one of those early-made guns). Then, shortly after Ruger issued their first guns, they made a change to the composition of the stock and all of these CAN have their action screws to 35 inch pounds, and their owners manual do not contain the flier about the 25 inch pound statement. By now certainly all of these "first gen" 25 inch pound guns are in the market, and if there is no additional flier in the owner's manual, you're good to go up to 35 inch pounds.
This may be the source of the first gen-second gen thing.

UTG Bipod- I have it on my gun and I like them. I think their lighter and I like how the fold back against the barrel and not out like a regular bipod. But I only shoot off a bench so your results may vary.

Bolt. I used some fine grain sand paper to round the sharp edges and corners off-use a light touch. Some of those edges are sharp enough to cut your fingers. I then applied some JB Bore Paste to the entire bolt, added a few drops of oil to help it flow, and ran the bolt a few hundred time. The result? The bolt runs a smooth as a baby's bottom. I also use Butler Creek's "Hot Lips" mags instead of the mags that Ruger makes. The Hot Lips mags run so much smoother than the Ruger's.