Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:27 PM
700PSS Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What mounts are folks using for their RPRf

I have found scoping the RPRf to be a bit on the challenging side due to its short rail.

As this is largely a paper punching rifle, I have focused on the 6-18X and 6-24X class of scopes. The issue is that to setup the scope for ideal eye relief for me, requires a cantilevered ring set or mount. I currently am using a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18X44AO 1" tube model in Nikon 2 piece cantilevered P mounts (1"). This keeps the scope down low and also spreads out the rings to allow more fore-aft movement of the scope for eye relief tuning. The rear ring is at the farthest back slot on the rail and the front ring in at the very front, making a stable and strong mount for the longer scope body tube. I am very happy with this setup.

I just bought a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50 (30mm tube) with FFP reticle similar to my Viper PST in 6-24X50 on my Remington 700P, but half the cost. It has similar eye relief to the Crossfire, but the Vortex cantilever mount I had in the spares box is pretty high with the rings closer together than I would prefer. The advantage is it does allow space on the rear of the rail for a Knight's Armament rail mounted level.

I am probably going to order the Nikon 2-piece M mount (30mm version of 1" 2-piece P Mount) and use a tube mounted level, but was wondering if there was another sub-$100 mount alternative that is not honking AR-high, yet still has decent ring spread for the longer tube. So far I have not found one.

For me ring spread is less an issue that the too high typical AR mounts, but they MUST be cantilevered beyond the front of the short Ruger RPRf rail.

I do like my RPRf, but it seems that aftermarket support is slow for these, and appears to be deferring to the AR items, which is not the case with CF long range bolt guns and chassis rifles.

Thanks.

Last edited by 700PSS Shooter; 08-09-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't have any advise at all. I have a 6x24x50 30mm Bushnell trophy extreme mounted on mine using low rings on the factory rail and have had no problems at all. I'm pleased with this setup.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:41 AM
700PSS Shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. The ocular bell and adjustment ring on the Vortex models are longer than the Leupolds I generally use. The problem is primarily with the turret bulge not allowing enough forward movement of the entire scope, hence the Nikon offset mounts. With the 1" 2-piece P Series mounts, they give me enough forward positioning as well as get the widest distance between the rings. I am hoping the M mounts in 30mm do the same thing.

On my centerfire rifle, with the longer action, and as the Badger rail extends past the receiver, it allows more fore and aft movement of the rings and the scope. With AR mounts, since the scopes are shorter and not high powered the rings can be closer together.

I guess I will have to wait for the aftermarket to make a longer Picatinny rail that extends a bit over the forearm tube for the RPRf. DIP are you listining?

That and try more fine tuning of the cheekpiece location of the chassis. Thanks.

Last edited by 700PSS Shooter; 08-10-2019 at 01:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 11:36 PM
700PSS Shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update - issue solved

After the scope fitment issue, I decided to gut out the Remington 700P and do some comparative measurements. LOP, correct and the same, trigger blade to bolt handle relationship, very close. Cheek height, same.

Then I saw it. The RPRf was way off on the front of grip/back of action tang/eyepiece relationships. I adjusted the cheekpiece further rearward. I then measured from the buttpad to the rear of the scope on the Remington and moved the scope back to match that distance on the RPRf. The eliminated the need to used offset rings or an AR-type unimount. I used the Vortex Pro Series HIGH horizontally split rings (.67" base to scope tube bottom) and managed to get the scope to within .2" (5mm) of the fore end tube.

It is much better now. I found I was holding to head forward due to the pistol grip, versus a traditional stock with a handgrip swell, and crawling the stock.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:21 AM
S1loki
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am fond of the DNZ Freedom Reaper series myself. Both of my RPRf rifles have a one piece(#181PT) on them.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:05 AM
22banger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try these folks

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8805

Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:44 PM
700PSS Shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 700PSS Shooter View Post
After the scope fitment issue, I decided to gut out the Remington 700P and do some comparative measurements. LOP, correct and the same, trigger blade to bolt handle relationship, very close. Cheek height, same.

Then I saw it. The RPRf was way off on the front of grip/back of action tang/eyepiece relationships. I adjusted the cheekpiece further rearward. I then measured from the buttpad to the rear of the scope on the Remington and moved the scope back to match that distance on the RPRf. The eliminated the need to used offset rings or an AR-type unimount. I used the Vortex Pro Series HIGH horizontally split rings (.67" base to scope tube bottom) and managed to get the scope to within .2" (5mm) of the fore end tube.

It is much better now. I found I was holding to head forward due to the pistol grip, versus a traditional stock with a handgrip swell, and crawling the stock.
See my post about the specific rings I used here. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1169781
Old 09-14-2019, 04:59 PM
AveragEd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a discontinued Leupold 6-18x 40mm AO VX-2 Target scope with a dot reticle on mine in Leupold rings using the Ruger-supplied rail with no problems. The adjustable comb allows aligning your eye with the optic.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0328.jpg (553.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-16-2019, 10:25 AM
Realbear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Vortex Diamondback Tacticle 4-16 X 44 which has a 30 mm tube. I went with the Vortex 30 MM Pro Series rings and have been very happy with them.
The objective lens is 44 mm and it clears the gaurd by about 2-3 mm. Very close but is makes it!
Old 09-26-2019, 11:44 AM
CaryC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good looking setup there Ed. I wish I could find one of those scopes for sale.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:10 AM
sdavis190

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
Good looking setup there Ed. I wish I could find one of those scopes for sale.
How’s $100 off sound? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...iflescope.html