Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:48 PM
downman74

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
IR50/50 10/22

So i only shoot a few matches a year and when i do its always with a production rifle. But last year i took a custom built 10/22 down and I hadn’t shot in quite sometime. With it and the low end gear i have a shot a 243 in very windy conditions against guys with Turbo and TX builds. My main question is. Does anyone regularly use a built 10/22 and stay competitive with it doing shooting these matches. First place at this club is usually always 250, but that particular day with the wind being so bad first place was 245. I was essentially wrote off when I showed up but after i did that those guys we’re very interested in the rifle i had. I also feel like its very capable of shooting higher then what i did that day.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:59 PM
KyleAllen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You might find this interesting:

https://www.abra.guru/

The Auto Benchrest Association is run by Joe Chacon, who builds high end 10/22ís designed for Benchrest.

The Association has different divisions, so you can compare scores shot with different types of rifles. Outlaw Heavy Division is comprised mostly of what would be Unlimited Class rifles in ARA competition.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:11 PM
KyleAllen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is a link to the Equipment List for a recent Professional Shooting League Event:

http://www.proshootingleague.com/res...quipment-list/

It is considered difficult to obtain a really high-level of performance with a 10/22. The best single ARA Target I have personally seen shot with one was a 2200 with a Chacon Custom.

As long as you are having Fun....Show Up & Shoot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 09:24 PM
downman74

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Im hoping someone chimes in with scores from a IR50/50 match and they can say what they do on a consistent basis. The ABRA is super cool! And i agree i do show up just to shoot and get better. My tolerances for accuracy with my 10/22 will be shooting steel targets in NRL22 so I don’t need to hit a dot every time, just beside that dot hopefully. But still cool to test the limits against guns built for the game and impress those old guys at the club i go to.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:31 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have shot 3 IR50/50 targets with my Joe Chacon Douglas barrel 10/22. The last one scored a 249-19x. I was just playing around not using any windflags.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:35 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SK Pistol Match ammo was used. The one 10 ring I missed was wind not ammo. I started holding at 4 O'clock of 10 ring and later ate out X's.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:50 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have no doubt the guns Joe build can compete if one does it enough. Will they beat the top bolt guns? Probably not gonna happen. But they will out shoot most bolt guns. Mine shoots a lot of groups in the the .1's. And I mean low .1's.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:43 PM
downman74

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
249 19X is very impressive! I honestly think with the correct stock for free recoil a built auto loader would compete. I feel if someone could design a control feed bolt and magazine system that would compatible with 10/22 specs that would be the ticket to extreme accuracy.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:07 PM
plinker4life

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by downman74 View Post
249 19X is very impressive! I honestly think with the correct stock for free recoil a built auto loader would compete. I feel if someone could design a control feed bolt and magazine system that would compatible with 10/22 specs that would be the ticket to extreme accuracy.
Do you mean something like this? https://volquartsen.com/departments/...2-summit-rifle

I have the PWS Version before Volquartsen acquired them.

Or maybe your talking about the whole round loading to the bolt face before it cycles forward?

Last edited by plinker4life; 02-28-2020 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:51 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. That stock Tony Mele designed for Joe was Joe's specs and is as good as it gets for tracking and shot to shot consistency. Joe has rear of stock weighted as well. I basically bought this gun to shoot groups with. It shines at that, too.

Old 02-28-2020, 04:21 AM
linekin

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
I don't have any scores for the OP but have seen guys come with bone stock 10-22's over the years. Mostly to see what its all about. Also most I don't think were to serious about it. Meaning most had inadequate rests, scopes & ammo. They were there for a day at the range, mostly.
None did very well, scoring in the high 100's at best. There was a guy that came back several times trying to improve with ammo selection but never broke 200 to my knowledge.
As I said, these were all bone stock guns. I know they can do better with better setups & desire. How well? Not sure.
The guy that comes with the Chacon gun consistently shoots in the 240's. Some more time at the bench with flags, this being key, & I think he'll be in contention. That thing shoots!

Keith
Old 02-28-2020, 12:01 PM
downman74

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker4life View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by downman74 View Post
Do you mean something like this? https://volquartsen.com/departments/...2-summit-rifle

I have the PWS Version before Volquartsen acquired them.

Or maybe your talking about the whole round loading to the bolt face before it cycles forward?
Whole round loading to the bolt face before chambering so that the nose of the bullet touches nothing as it’s chambered. Vodoo has done this with their V22 control feed system that they had patented. I feel like having a machined bolt face to barrel chamber being accurate at .001+- and reduced headspacing like around .41-.42 would do the same in an auto loader as it does a bolt gun.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:20 PM
Dennis D
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
But

There's no reason you can't be competitive with a top of the line Chacon 10/22 in IR50/50, especially at a club level, after all in theory your gun only has to be able to shoot 25 round into a .472 group to shoot a 250. Now comes the down side, you personally have to execute every shot perfectly. And all your gear has to do the same. If you have any contact with the rifle it's one more variable to control. Five shot groups are all well and good but it doesn't quite equate to 25 separate shots on a target where you have to move after every shot. You have guys shooting 200's on the ABRA target now so there is no reason to think they can't shoot 5 more rounds and do well.

Just realize that the guys that are at the top didn't just show up at their first match and become world champions. They have worked out every aspect of their system to give them the best possible chance at winning consistently.

With .22's you have to be prepared for a little frustration as well as the fun.

Dennis
Old 02-29-2020, 04:16 PM
downman74

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
There's no reason you can't be competitive with a top of the line Chacon 10/22 in IR50/50, especially at a club level, after all in theory your gun only has to be able to shoot 25 round into a .472 group to shoot a 250. Now comes the down side, you personally have to execute every shot perfectly. And all your gear has to do the same. If you have any contact with the rifle it's one more variable to control. Five shot groups are all well and good but it doesn't quite equate to 25 separate shots on a target where you have to move after every shot. You have guys shooting 200's on the ABRA target now so there is no reason to think they can't shoot 5 more rounds and do well.

Just realize that the guys that are at the top didn't just show up at their first match and become world champions. They have worked out every aspect of their system to give them the best possible chance at winning consistently.

With .22's you have to be prepared for a little frustration as well as the fun.

Dennis
I think this year I’ll make a shooting log with every IR50/50 card i shoot with this 10/22 im building and see where it averages. It wont be a Chacon or anything but still. I know the game well enough and shot well with guns built for the game. Id be happy to see the gun get into the 240’s
Old 03-01-2020, 06:01 PM
oldshot50

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Downman74--I see you are in PA. There is a club outside Johnstown, PA that will be shooting sanctioned ABRA matches this summer. The club is Paint Borough Sportsmen's, also near Windber, PA. You can find their match schedule and other pertinent information on the ABRA website at ABRA.guru. I know they would enjoy having you compete at any or all of their matches. The rules regarding the rifle classifications are also on the ABRA.guru site. As they say, show up and shoot!