Micro Centerfire - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:11 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

For me personally the 17 hornet seems like a better sub 22 centerfire at ranges out to 200 yards purely from an efficiency standpoint. Now if you shoot and hit at 300 and 400 yards, maybe a 204 is just the ticket but where I live I just don't have those distances to safely shoot. Not saying the 204 isn't useful but for me it's not really going to be much benefit for the cost of a new gun, new dies etc.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:00 PM
AubMassCoyote

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup. Most New England coyote shooting is under 100 yards, 150 maybe tops. Even if you wanted longer/harder (that's what SHE said), the .17 Fireball would fill that need and still come in using less powder and less barrels than the .204 Ruger.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:18 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Different strokes for different folks...

Haven't hunted new England, what I hunt with in the south is different than northern Idaho or eastern Oregon. And the rifle I take to Wyoming gets and even bigger longer bullet.

Bigger varmints still have thin skin needs preserved, but need a bit more oomph to knock them down.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:00 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfisherman View Post
Different strokes for different folks...
I wouldn't want to lug it to the top of Uganik to shoot foxes but for playing at 300 - 400 yds on the Dakota prairie I think this is just about as good as you can do, and it is in .204. It was a half-minute gun with the factory 204 barrel, but with the Barlein HV it is even better. One of my buddies shoots 20VTs, and I thought about it, but see no point in giving up 300 - 400 fps or having the hassle getting brass. You can't take powder with you, either, you know. It handles 40-gr V-Max fine but the 32's are what it was made for.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:46 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
I wouldn't want to lug it to the top of Uganik to shoot foxes but for playing at 300 - 400 yds on the Dakota prairie I think this is just about as good as you can do, and it is in .204. It was a half-minute gun with the factory 204 barrel, but with the Barlein HV it is even better. One of my buddies shoots 20VTs, and I thought about it, but see no point in giving up 300 - 400 fps or having the hassle getting brass. You can't take powder with you, either, you know. It handles 40-gr V-Max fine but the 32's are what it was made for.

Uganik maxim from one of the more notorious locals..... "if you can't see water in the scope.... It's to far a shot from the beach..." Spent a lot of time in that bay over the years....
Old 02-15-2020, 12:27 PM
AubMassCoyote

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can't argue with that.

Though the shots may not be as long, the animals in New England are a bit bigger, just like deer. 40-60 pound coyotes are not out of the question. I've seen the big ones, but not seen too many shot. The fast .17's will put them down just fine.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:38 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfisherman View Post
Uganik maxim from one of the more notorious locals..... "if you can't see water in the scope.... It's to far a shot from the beach..." Spent a lot of time in that bay over the years....
Must have been boat deer hunter. My favorite time of year to be there was the first week of October, but that meant we generally had to climb to find the nice bucks. That will get you in shape, though.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:55 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Oh man, some bad memories of August hunts in uganik.

Usually starts by the wind blowing to hard to fish, guys wake up and start scouring the hillside with binos. Usually something is spotted and in the skiff we go. But in August they are usually alpine, up we go through awful alders like were racing and elevator. If we do manage to catch them 3 burly fisherman will usually expend as many calories as the deer is worth....

Do you pick up a lot of velocity with the long tube? Always wondered where the 204 peaked. Have been surprised at how little is gained with certain cartridges, then shocked by how much is gained with others.

Didn't realize how big Eastern coyotes were. We used to get some big ones in central Oregon in my college days. Shot a coyote in the Florida panhandle, thought it was a fox. So there is definitely body size variation. My guess is Oregon Washington and Idaho have few coyotes in the near future. Those wolves are going to eat them like a vacuum cleaner.