Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Will Silicone Gun Socks Harm The Paint On the Receiver

7K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  rimfiresrule2 
#1 ·
I would like to use one of the gun socks to protect the gun mostly from scratches. Does anyone know if putting the gun in one of these long term will harm the painted receiver finish or for that matter the poly finish on the stock? I have a new Henry Frontier.

#5 ·
noremf, a very respected member here who has since passed, always cautioned against exposing wood to products containing silicone, explaining the silicon could penetrate the finish and cause it to fail. That said, I've stored a Browning BPS with an upgraded stock in a silicon gun sock for almost 30 years without any sign of damage. Would I do the same with a true collector's quality firearm? Probably not, but for a shooter I don't see any problem.

#16 ·
This is why I had worded my last response carefully :
George has never given scientific proof of his opinion, kind of a clinical research and shown effects under controlled conditions, excluding other factors.
One photo of damage to a stock, not under controlled conditions, where other contributing factors - interaction to other chemicals that had been applied, for instance- are unknown, is no proof that will stack up to the countless testimonies of gun owners that had only positive experience with silicone treated gun socks.

#17 ·
My take on silicone impregnated socks or sprays with silicone, offers great protection from rust. One thing I took from George and what I believe he tried to get across is that if you need to refinish a stock that has been exposed to silicone extensively you may have some major issues. I agree with him wholeheartedly, but I also use G96 and have for 30+ years to wipe my guns down including the wood. I have never had an issue with rust or the wood but have never had to refinish these guns. The guns I refinish are ones I get new to me or from others and may have had silicone exposure but its hard to tell. I will also say I have had maybe 2 guns that were a struggle to refinish and definately looked like they had some bare areas that maybe silicone or oils had soaked into extensively. If you have a old gun with thin finish or bare areas it may be something to think about.

The one thing I think is important to stay away from is storing guns in hard cases with the egg crate type foam. I have actually seen guns with damage that you can actually see the imprint of the foam as a shadowing, I think it can actually draw moisture as well. I woukd take a silicone stock over this any day and especially if you are only going to pull the gun out once or twice a year to service. Hope I didn't stray. Just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

#18 ·
+1 on the egg crate foam. It will leave permanent marks on the wood finish. I've been using G96 for over forty years on all my guns, wood included. I have some very high end guns that I use the silicon on. Turnbull did two guns for me and advised using silicon on the entire gun (I already had been for years). My guns look like new, have no rust, and the wood is fantastic. I have no bones to pick with George, and I think he really knew his stuff. I just don't agree with him on this, and my evidence shows it doesn't hurt to use silicon.

#19 ·
I mainly asked the question to be sure the paint on the receiver would not be affected. I'm sure cerakote4 would not but since we don't know the composition of Henry's paint, I was apprehensive about silicone peeling the paint. Like most, I want to use a sock to protect against scratches.

#20 ·
I live in the hottest, most humid city in the USA. 10 months of eternal summer.
In my experience, gun socks attract moisture & that is the last thing I need.
I wipe them down with plenty of Ballistol and put them away in the safe.
Never a problem in over 35 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.