Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:54 AM
Noknot

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Shooting Sticks

Thinking about getting a BOG Shooting Stick, getting shaky in my old age. Trying to decide between the bi-pod or tripod, any suggestions. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:50 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Monopod is least stable and fastest to set up. Tripod is most stable and slowest to set up. The bipod is in the middle. So it really depends on what situation you plan on using them for.

I generally only carry a bipod when hunting antelope later in the season and they're too alert to get a closer type shot. I use my knees or trees/rocks to brace for deer/elk shots in the forest.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:22 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Almost every shot I've taken while hunting was while sitting on my butt and leaning over a set of shooting sticks, bipod style. I can recall three(?) shots that weren't that way, all of which involved shooting at an animal that wasn't standing still.

My sticks are fixed length, cut to suit my height. They are light and handy to carry, which was important to me since I do a lot of hiking while hunting, sometimes in rough country. They also serve well to help me keep my balance when on a steep side slope.

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2020, 05:50 PM
Eric300
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Check out the Pole Cat Rapid Pivot Bipod by Primos. East snap on/off, and, you can get extra sling swivel mounts that you can put on other rifles so you can use the bipod on those, too. Quick adjustable legs, and, you can cant your rifle right, or, left if on uneven ground, or, forward/rearward, due to the rubber 'wishbone' piece. 360 degree rotation as well. I use mine all the time for varmint hunting. Works great.

https://www.primos.com/primos-huntin...24/c-114/p-395

Old 04-08-2020, 04:54 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
My sticks are fixed length, cut to suit my height....
Sophia has the right idea, make your own to suit your own shooting style, you could also lash together some old ski/walking poles.

Some folk use a single tall walking stick.

Giz
Keep the distance, Keep safe.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:16 PM
Big Cholla
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Back when I was younger with a better back than now I spend a lot of my prairie dog hunting while doing a walk about. I used a custom built Rem M 722 with a 22-250 heavy sporter barrel by Lilja or depending on the wind a Sako L461, Riihimaki in 222 Rem. I used custom bi-pod shooting sticks made from 1/2" dia. hickory doweling. I sharpened the ground end of the sticks to a blunt point. To tie them together I tied a piece of parachute cord with a Prussic knot on each stick. I sized the length to give me a nice erect position while sitting on my bottom. I found from shooting range experimentation that I did my most accurate shooting while placing the "X" of the sticks just ahead of the stock tip with the barrel resting on the saddle of the parachute cord and pulling back with my left hand thereby pulling the rifle solidly back into my shoulder. I was dexterous enough to carry the sticks in my left hand while walking and to place them into position while sitting down. Where I do most of my dog hunting is fairly bad for rattlers so a quick look around was required before rapidly sitting down. Sadly, my back got so bad that I now only shoot from a portable benchrest and not far from the pickup.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:08 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Almost every shot I've taken while hunting was while sitting on my butt and leaning over a set of shooting sticks, bipod style. I can recall three(?) shots that weren't that way, all of which involved shooting at an animal that wasn't standing still.

My sticks are fixed length, cut to suit my height. They are light and handy to carry, which was important to me since I do a lot of hiking while hunting, sometimes in rough country. They also serve well to help me keep my balance when on a steep side slope.

Sticks work for me, mono-pods are almost worse than no stick at all IME. Fixed height sticks can be adjusted quickly just by leaning or moving the feet +or-.