Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-05-2020, 01:10 AM
Tactical_Lever

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kids first rifle suggestions

Beginning to think that it is about time for my boy to receive his first gun. I started off with a Chipmunk, and it was a neat gun, but not a very good gun overall. I like the size and style, with the manual cocking, but there is not a lot of choices out there similar to that.

He will be 11 shortly, and not that big. Considering levers, pumps, and bolt actions, and also break open.

I think all the pumps will be a bit big, so they are lagging in the choices. I think for a lever that Henry is the only youth model. Leaning towards a bolt, like a Marlin Buckaroo, or Remington model 5. Thoughts, and suggestions welcome.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:15 AM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't rule out the CZ Scout. There are a few 455s still available for short money and the 457 has the improvements that line brings. The nice thing about the Scout is that the action is the same as the full sized models so, when he does grow larger, a simple stock replacement will give him a fine rifle he can keep forever.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:25 AM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Bolt action. Single shot if you can get one. Teaches them the workings of the firearm having to load each round my hand, and once it is fired, it cannot be fired again until it is hand loaded again. Much safer. Plus those who choose a 10/22, all those kids want to do is pull the trigger and not try hard enough to make that one shot a good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2020, 04:49 AM
Jester560

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Take a look at the Savage MKII FV-SR. I absolutely love mine and humble shooters with the high dollar rigs on a regular basis. It is also a perfect suppressor host.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2020, 05:29 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
After buying and shooting a CZ 457 Scout, my search for a rifle for my grandchildren is over.
-LOP 12"
- Light
- Well built
- Looks great
- VERY accurate (this is the big seller for me)
- Economical

I anticipate getting 4, all in .22LR. My grandchildren are 6-9 so I have a bit of time for the younger 3. Even 12" LOP doesn't fit yet.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:36 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Picture of scout with an Anschutz.

The bottom left) is with the scout.

This was my first shooting session with both rifles. You can see the CZ "liked" the CCI Subsonics. This was at 50 yards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anschutz and CZ 457.jpg (425.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Target with Data.jpg (405.1 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by bowwild; 01-05-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:43 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Bowwild, upper left says Anschutz.

OP, my choices, depending on what you need them for:
1. CZ 457 Scout; a great buy for CZ-level quality.
2. Savage of some flavor, lots of choices depending on your need. Savage rimfire page.
3. Armscor/Rock Island M14Y--set up like the Scout, but $140 and a bit less accurate of course. But the most accurate of all dozen or more of my lesser guns (i.e. non-CZ). Way better than its price. Great for a loaner, a knockabout gun, or to see if some random kid likes shooting. My M14Y thread.

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 01-05-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:56 AM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (95)
I have two grandsons, now 16 and 18. I gifted them their first rifles and a few more since. I researched the project like the Engineer I am back in the day and came up with the CZ Scout as the best choice - and not by a small margin. Steel and wood, bolt action, single shot. The same robust action as any other CZ .22. A gun that the kid can have and shoot the rest of his life. For me, it was a simple choice. If I had to do it again, I would do the same, except it would be a 457 in lieu of the 452. Good luck; gifting a grandson his first gun is one of the perks of getting old and makes it worth the aches and pains.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:32 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ scout, hands down! Not on a great youth gun, a great gun period. May come with a single shot mag, but the 5/10 round ones work too, and will go into a full sized stock when he grows, and barrel swaps( 455/457) easy peasy.

Second a Savage Mark II FV. , Small enough to be a youth gun.

Third a savage Rascal. Single shot. Suprisingly accurate, and cheap!
Old 01-05-2020, 09:58 AM
Tactical_Lever

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieNH View Post
Don't rule out the CZ Scout. There are a few 455s still available for short money and the 457 has the improvements that line brings. The nice thing about the Scout is that the action is the same as the full sized models so, when he does grow larger, a simple stock replacement will give him a fine rifle he can keep forever.
The CZ was never ruled out... but at this time, a little more money than I wanted to spend.

Maybe just me, but had I received a decent quality youth rifle, I do not think that I would part with it. Especially a medium sized one.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:08 AM
Tactical_Lever

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
Bolt action. Single shot if you can get one. Teaches them the workings of the firearm having to load each round my hand, and once it is fired, it cannot be fired again until it is hand loaded again. Much safer. Plus those who choose a 10/22, all those kids want to do is pull the trigger and not try hard enough to make that one shot a good one.
I agree that a semi auto is a poor choice for a young shooters first gun.

My problem with most of the bolt action single shots, is that most of them are not manual cocking. I do not want to start him off thinking that a safety is something to be trusted, and de-cocking a bolt action for a degree of safer carry is a clunky action that I do not want to saddle him with.

If we are walking for grouse with gloves on, its nice to be able to cock the gun manually or feed one into the chamber. I like the guns with external hammers for this, as well as the visual and tactile reminder that it is cocked and likely has one chambered.

Wish I could find a Stevens Crackshot...
Old 01-05-2020, 10:34 AM
Tactical_Lever

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_in_MO View Post
Bowwild, upper left says Anschutz.

OP, my choices, depending on what you need them for:
1. CZ 457 Scout; a great buy for CZ-level quality.
2. Savage of some flavor, lots of choices depending on your need. Savage rimfire page.
3. Armscor/Rock Island M14Y--set up like the Scout, but $140 and a bit less accurate of course. But the most accurate of all dozen or more of my lesser guns (i.e. non-CZ). Way better than its price. Great for a loaner, a knockabout gun, or to see if some random kid likes shooting. My M14Y thread.
That Rock Island looks like a pretty decent, little gun. Cannot seem to find them anywhere in the country, here though!

Saw the Savage Rascals, but they are a bit small, and not a fan of the stock.

And others have suggested the full sized Savages, which are a bit too big. Seems that they do not sell very many now with a wood stock. If they did, I could shorten them up some.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:39 AM
Tactical_Lever

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any opinions on the foreign made (rebadged) Remington Model 5

Sorry, I have to restart my tablet I think. My question marks, apostrophes, and quotations quit working..
Old 01-05-2020, 10:49 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
OP, the closest you guys have up there is the M14P, at this website. You'd have to cut down the stock though, for a youth size.

The Savage Mk 1 GY and GLY have nicer wooden stocks, and the Rascal Target has a HB with a ProVarmint-type stock. Looks like a CZ 457 ProVarmint in a youth size. Probably very accurate. No irons though.

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 01-05-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:07 AM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
CZ, for sure. Yes, it costs a bit more but a year from now the price will be forgotten and your son will have a rifle for his lifetime. Quality will always be there long after price is forgotten.