Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:10 PM
Rustydog123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 41 not feeding

My S&W 41 has worked fine for years, it has now developed a glitch. It will randomly (not every time) fail to feed the next round, usually the second round. It will extract and eject the spent casing but fail to strip the next round off the magazine. It does it with a new model and old model magazine.

Any suggestions? (I really hate alibis)

Greg
Old 12-06-2019, 09:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
When is the last time you changed the recoil spring? Is there a buffer installed? Any debris in the slide grooves? Did you change ammo? Is the inside of the magazine clean and lubed? Did you drop the magazine? Could someone have stepped on the magazine. Do you have a known good magazine to try

Try a drop of oil on the first bullet of each magazine for several magazines .
Old 12-07-2019, 07:23 AM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Dear Rusty:

from the symptoms, I would take a good hard look at the magazine to make sure that it is riding high enough to catch the next round as the bolt cycles. worn magazine catch comes to mind.

Another thing that could be happening is that the bolt is not cycling as far back as it needs to, it slide back far enough to eject the case, but not far enough back to pick up the next round.

Sorry that it is not a cure but a good place to start looking. If you decide that the bolt is not sliding back far enough, a good cleaning including removing the hammer and associated parts may cure the problem. Also take a look at the ejector, remove the barrel and the slide, and see if it moves side to side in the frame. If it i loose, it is worn out and needs replacement. If it is tight, then it is ok and doesnt need replacement.

After that, my next steps would be a new s&w mainspring, and a extractor.

That should get you started, let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Crankster

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2019, 09:43 AM
jrsbike
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is a re-post of a comment I made to another thread in this forum:
Having gone through all of the above problems and suggested remedies: springs, extractor replacement, polishing etc, I found that fine tuning the magazines helped significantly. I got four mags with my used 41 and discovered that one always cycled perfectly and others had occasional issues. After some tuning I was able to get two of the other mags to run well. I could not find a source for stronger springs (Wolf does not have them) so I fitted a spacer to increase tension and that helped. I do not like the magazine design since the spring is not full size and is housed in a channel as opposed to filling the entire magazine cavity and does not distribute the load across the full base of the feed ramp. I am going to experiment with different springs and pick up a few feeders to modify.