Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:35 AM
jrsbike
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mods to PPQ M2 5 Inch

I posted previously about my new PPQ long barrel in which I complained about the sights. Here I will go through mods I have made to the gun since then. Please note that these apply to the PPQ M2 5" barrel only. The first step was to find a better rear sight. I saw that a poster on another forum used a S&W M&P sight that he purchased inexpensively which worked for him. I went this rout and bought a sight from Midway for about $18. This worked well but even with the Walther No. 4 front sight it shot slightly too low. I could have lived with this and compensated but decided to go further. Having determined that S&W M&P rear sights will fit a PPQ I found a Williams sight that would work with very minor tuning. This came with a front dove tail sight that I could not use. Cost was about $50 from Ochoos in Oregon. The Williams sight is high quality and makes the original Walther unit look like junk, which it is. I soon found that I needed a much higher front sight, higher than the No. 5 Walther so I took a chance and bought a front sight from Dawson meant for a 9MM PPQ. This did not quite fit as the base was very slightly off center from the 22LR, however with very minor filing I was able to get it to fit. The mounting screw was a little too short but I was able to find a 2.5MM machine screw from ACE hardware that I cut down to fit. The PPQ front sights appear to be very similar to Glock front sights with the same mounting system. I do not have any Glocks so I could not check to see if one would fit. The Dawson item is very high quality and well priced. I have purchased various products from Dawson and consider them to be one of the most ethical suppliers in the business. Without too much effort I was able to get the gun zeroed in at 12 yards, the max length of my local indoor range. Then for the heck of it I bought a Walther P22 adapter and attached a Tandemkross "Game Changer" compensator. I'll be honest and admit that I am unable to absolutely confirm an improvement with the compensator, but I think it groups better and I like the extra weight. So now I have the gun that I originally wanted. Its not a bull barrel dead on target gun but its close and certainly a lot of fun to shoot. I can't put it down. I have about $500 invested in this and it can be argued that I could have bought something ready to go like a Browning Buckmark, but I find that almost any gun needs an additional investment from the aftermarket. The photos show the first S&W sight and subsequent additions. The protruding ears of the dove tails need to be taken down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walther1.JPG (109.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg W2.JPG (75.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg W6.JPG (49.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg W4.JPG (55.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg W3.JPG (54.1 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by jrsbike; 07-03-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:52 AM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info!

I might do something similar to my PPQ .22 sights eventually.

Was the Williams sight for the M&P .22? Standard and Compact use the same? (Guns are made by different companies)
Old 07-03-2019, 02:25 PM
jrsbike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The vendor was Ochocos and the item was listed as "Williams Fire Sight Set Smith & Wesson M&P Fiber Optic - 70962". No mention of the caliber. I have observed so much variation in 22LR ammo performance that adjustable sights are important to me. Also, Williams sights came standard on my S&W Victory and held up after thousands of rounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 05:21 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (129)
Nice job.

I would love to do the same to my P-22 with the Target kit on it.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:23 PM
doublechaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think half the fun is taking something serviceable and making it close to perfect for your own desires. Great work!