Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:42 PM
jrsbike
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Want to Buy But Concerned About Issues

I have my heart set on a 22/45 Tactical but I am concerned about all the issues that posters have identified: trigger, detent, mag release etc. It seems that as soon as I get one I will have to immediately send money to the aftermarket people in order to make things right. Is this really the case?
Old 09-10-2018, 08:52 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The majority of the population will buy one of these and do nothing. The majority of this forum will buy one and then tinker to improve it. So all of that just kind of goes with the territory.

Its going to have a 4.5lb-5.5lb trigger likely out of the box. It will have some grit, but will smooth up a little over time. Many here aren't looking for that and will replace the trigger/guts soon thereafter.

Mag release, stovepipes, feed issues - well, thats going to be hit or miss with most 22's. You will have a few that got a gun they would like to light on fire, and a bunch more that evidently never had an issue in a million rounds. A whole lot of luck of the draw, but if you're like me, you'll get one with issues and have to figure it out. The good thing is, if you do get one with a few issues and intend on keeping it stock, simply send that thing back to Ruger as many times as it takes for them to make it right.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:12 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes and no. My Mk IV had the release button pin walk out. Either my Mk IV or K III had a defective rear site. Oh yea,. The blade on my Mk IV broke and the whole site on the Mk III was damaged when improperly mounted at the factory. That was three defect/issuse that needed addressing on two guns and I did those my self with parts from Ruger. I will say, most people would return a pistol to ruger and it would come back fixed. That is not my style.

I also did Volquartsen trigger jobs and the result makes it all worth while. These are great pistols.

Now what is the alternative? The Victory and Buckmark are a distance 2nd choice. That is distant to an upgraded Mk IV. Those two are not up gradable. Out of the box with factory triggers and factory QC a buckmark might be tempting. My friend just got one and I look forward to shooting his.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2018, 09:15 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love my 22/45. There is nothing wrong with the stock trigger for 90 % of the people. For those that shoot competitions, like I do, that trigger can be smoothed out tremendously with aftermarket parts that you can install yourself.

Four and a half pound triggers on automatics for carry are safe and used to be the top setup. You don't want a hair trigger where you may shoot someone or something you don't want to.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:20 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There was also the broken firing pins on the Mk IV. I have been away from this forum for a while. Has that been resolved or no longer a concern? I replaced my just in case. I dont know if it was really needed or if the breakage was due to dry firing. Some people just dont grasp the "no dry fire" concept.

My MK IV trigger was close to 6 pounds. The Mk III were running 4 to 5 IIRC. Six is a bit much. My Mk II was under 3! It got worse with every generation, or that was my experience.

Last edited by fourbore; 09-10-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:26 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
There are those alternatives. I've got no experience with the Victory, and I just don't like the looks of the grip on them, but have been around a few that have them and swear by them. Evidently a big improvement over the A22 which to me was a dud. The Buckmark to me is the better gun out of the box than the MK series, but thats where it stops. The Ruger has a mass following of aftermarket where the Buckmark is severely limited due to tolerance differences over different generations. Open the box and shoot them, I'll take the Buckmark. Throw $100 at the Ruger and forget it (and I'm probably focusing on trigger there more than anything else).

My MKIV got a VQ upper the day I received it, and a trip back to VQ for fitting and its been nothing but 100% reliable ever since. My MKIII 22/45 is a frankenruger with a Pac-Lite upper and it was a nightmare for 2 months before I got it all sorted out. The small bit that I actually shot my MKIV in its stock configuration though, never a hiccup. I believe had I kept it stock it would have ran near perfect, though it was a Standard 6" taper with fixed sights that hit about 3" low at 15yds, so that would have needed to be remedied with some sight filing or something. The one you have in mind has adjustables so not an issue there.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:49 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
There was also the broken firing pins on the Mk IV. I have been away from this forum for a while. Has that been resolved or no longer a concern? I replaced my just in case. I dont know if it was really needed or if the breakage was due to dry firing. Some people just dont grasp the "no dry fire" concept.
NO.

In pursuit of ending misfires in my MKII, I ordered 3 new firing pins from Ruger. One to modify like my MKIII FP, and 2 to keep unmodified so I could take both pistols back to stock at any time. They wouldn't sell without serial numbers, so one that I gave was of my MKIV. As a result, I received only 2 old style and one new style.

I went to the range with my MKII and shot 100 rounds with each - MKIII pin, unmodified old style, unmodified new style. I kept all the brass I could find and took them home to analyze against the pins. During the analysis, I found the design flaw with the new pin.

The bolt was designed for using the old style pin. The MKIV bolt did not change for using the new style pin, so you can drop in the old style and it works just fine. Good news for those who replace the pin with an old style one, BAD news for those who don't. The new style pin IS GOING TO FAIL. Not a matter of if - just when.

And it isn't dry firing that causes it to fail. It's regular firing. As long as the bolt/receiver/recoil rod retain very tight tolerances, the pin will hold up. As the tolerances loosen up over time, the stresses on the pin build until breakage is eminent.

After just 100 rounds fired on the new style pin placed in my well worn MKII, the stressor mechanism is clearly visible. It won't be used again.

If Ruger had made a small change to the MKIV bolt to match the new style pin, the new pin wouldn't break. Oops.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:26 AM
jrsbike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for the comments. I guess I will go ahead with the Tactical and hope for the best. Fortunately Ruger has very good customer service. If I end up with a total cost of $600-$700 with the add-ons I will wish I had picked up a Sig Sauer P226 22LR Classic for $545.00, although probably not as accurate as the Ruger.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:41 PM
GE-Minigun

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have one and have shot the CRAP out of it…I love this gun! I’ve probably have close to 10k through it since I got it…it had some teething issues…trigger was crap (has smoothed out), FTF, FTE. Some I can contribute to the gun and others to me. I shoot it ONLY with a suppressor on it (main reason I purchased), when it gets dirty and stops working I hit it with either brake or carb cleaner…let it dry then hit it with CLP…runs for another 1000 rounds. I shoot the cheapest, dirtiest stuff I can get my hands on, so I can’t blame all of it on the gun.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
In the end, they are supposed to still shoot that dirty cheap stuff. In the 80s/90s when I was a kid, I sure wasn't snobby or picky about ammo. Forums still take things to extremes. And I guess I'm one of them that does as well. But the gun should shoot whatever in my mind.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:48 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
In the end, they are supposed to still shoot that dirty cheap stuff. In the 80s/90s when I was a kid, I sure wasn't snobby or picky about ammo. Forums still take things to extremes. And I guess I'm one of them that does as well. But the gun should shoot whatever in my mind.
I am not so sure. It seems to me if I saw the name Winchester or Remington on the box the ammo worked without any duds or other noticeable issues. I go back another decade, if that matters. And I was not shooting any 22 in the 90's.

I dont know, but; seems like the bottom grade of ammo is lower than I recall back in the 70's.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:57 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I dont know, but; seems like the bottom grade of ammo is lower than I recall back in the 70's.
The cheap Remington has always been a problem. I used some Mohawk .22LR in a Colt conversion unit and it jammed so badly that it required gunsmith intervention.

Friends don't let friends shoot:

Old 09-12-2018, 04:30 PM
dufferDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Lots of fussy people

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsbike View Post
I have my heart set on a 22/45 Tactical but I am concerned about all the issues that posters have identified: trigger, detent, mag release etc. It seems that as soon as I get one I will have to immediately send money to the aftermarket people in order to make things right. Is this really the case?
Probably not the case. You probably will be quite happy with this design, aside from the typical break-in period (of several hundred rounds) to get it running smoothly.

Some folks just like to gripe. Some folks think they are getting something that is supposed to perform more like a $4000 European-made gun. And yes, there are a few mechanical failures that can happen with ANY firearm, new out-of-the-box, made by ANY manufacturer.

If you are like me, you can probably shoot a 22/45 for years before spending money on upgrades that will show up as improved scores. Shoot it and have fun.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsbike View Post
JB,

IMHO, Ruger has most things right with the MkIV series, especially the 22\45 Tactical!

I was able to handle the 40149 and was amazed how well the fit n' feel of that pistol was!! Ended up getting the 22\45 Lite (10oz less), as I already had a heavier shooter...the Hunter. Actually, all I Really Needed to greatly improve overall performance of both the Lite and the Hunter was to drop in a VQ MkIV Sear and Disconnector, from WG or SGW!! Before the Swap outs, their OEM actions were crisp, just a little heavier on the pulls than I cared for.

Other than that, I did a lot more accurizing to achieve higher end fit and look Results...but most changes were not needed to shoot accurately or make the MkIV's more reliable, just stuff I wanted to do during a light-duty medical recovery period!!

Just my .02 cents...

Ted
Old 09-13-2018, 09:43 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
]...but most changes were not needed to shoot accurately or make the MkIV's more reliable, just stuff I wanted to do during a light-duty medical recovery period!!
Kind of like that. A good bit of the forum is going to throw parts at a gun and tinker to try and improve it (myself included). But most folks will just buy the gun and shoot it. No different that most people just buying a car and driving it compared to the faction that will do engine work and other modifications. When you talk with the fanatics, you're going to get their side of the pie.