HuskerP7M8
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Maybe it was a Von Ahrens?

Lee
Yup, it looks like one of Roger's. I worked with him many years ago when he was developing it.

Without any of the weight set, it should be about 4.65 oz +/_0.05 oz.

Landy
Old 04-03-2020, 02:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerP7M8 View Post
Yup, it looks like one of Roger's. I worked with him many years ago when he was developing it.

Without any of the weight set, it should be about 4.65 oz +/_0.05 oz.

Landy
Hi Landy, Interesting about what they weighed. it was my understanding they never caught on because they were hard to tune with.
from my experience using tuners in that weight range, using the standard method of tuning(Hopewell) 25,50 and 100 clicks out at a time can be frustrating.
IME no more then 5-clicks at a time works best.

What is your take as to why more are not in use today.

Lee
Old 04-03-2020, 06:35 PM
HuskerP7M8

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Hi Lee,

I remember them being fairly popular while Roger was still making them, but that was quite some time ago. I still see some come up for sale every once in a while and they usually sell quickly.

For my purposes, they're nearly an ideal solution for testing tuner theory because I have enough weights to go from the bare 4.65 oz tuner body to almost 48 oz's in 1/2 oz increments.

The other thing that appeals to me is that they're very rigid compared to dozens of prototype tuners sent to me or those already on the market.

Landy
Old 04-04-2020, 09:33 AM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Maybe it was a Von Ahrens?

Lee
That's it. I had the barrel changed and the tuner put on in 2007 so I forgot the name. I"m not sure they are even sold anymore but I've been very happy with mine. I had a Fudd on the original Anschutz barrel and it worked but wouldn't fit the new barrel so I sold it.

I think I mentioned elsewhere that locally our ARA matches had an over and under 11 pound class. The rifle as shown would not make the under 11 pound class but without the tuner it would. But my scores averaged 200 points less without the tuner than with it.

Last edited by MKnarr; 04-04-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:10 PM
KyleAllen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post

I think I mentioned elsewhere that locally our ARA matches had an over and under 11 pound class. The rifle as shown would not make the under 11 pound class but without the tuner it would. But my scores averaged 200 points less without the tuner than with it.
Is that Club submitting official scores to ARA or just using the ARA Unlimited Target?

If they are submitting official scores, they cannot establish classes outside of the Rules.

I cannot understand why a Club would eliminate or not offer both Unlimited and the New Factory Class. I just donít see the up side. If you have even one guy who wants to shoot Factory...the more the merrier. ARA sells Targets with both classes on them, they are scored the same, etc. I hope, once we get started; all clubs will offer the New Factory Class.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:29 AM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAllen View Post
Is that Club submitting official scores to ARA or just using the ARA Unlimited Target?

If they are submitting official scores, they cannot establish classes outside of the Rules.

I cannot understand why a Club would eliminate or not offer both Unlimited and the New Factory Class. I just donít see the up side. If you have even one guy who wants to shoot Factory...the more the merrier. ARA sells Targets with both classes on them, they are scored the same, etc. I hope, once we get started; all clubs will offer the New Factory Class.
Remember I said local and they were not submitted so they can make up the rules as they go. Yes they are using the standard unlimited target. I haven't shot there for a few years so maybe they have changed things. When I first started shooting there, my shooting partner and I were the only two shooting with tuners and both were using wind flags. By the time we left, many were using tuners and wind flags. Some were sorting ammo by weight or rim thickness but none of that helped because they were still learning to read the wind. At that time they were also shooing 100 yard group matches. I won a lot of them because I've had a fair amount of wind reading from my days as a position shooter. They finally decided that the only reason you could win at 100 yards was becasue you just happened to pick 5 good rounds so they changed to 50 yard group matches. I still hold the record at that range of .330 at 100 yards.