Old 12-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Crowcifier666
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 Scout

So here's my new 10/22.

1st phase complete:
Bought a 10/22 Compact with a factory barrel cut to 16" an threaded. The trigger group had an emblem with the word "Empire" on it, it was made of aluminum, I believe. Not sure if that was stock or not. I took it apart and cleaned it up, did the auto bolt release mod, closed it up put a UTG quad rail on with a $40 scout scope. Fun little shooter; the scope zeroed quickly and I had some time to blast some rapid fire 30 rnd mags. Here she is:

I may paint the stock black, or do a grey digi-cam. the camo seems like it'd be tough.
I'd also like to put a phantom 5c2 fh and some sort of barrel strut on it, too, for more of an m14 look....

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Crowcifier666; 03-02-2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-10-2010, 09:34 PM
n006161

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice and clean look going on right now. I actually just did some camo myself today. There are some good vids in YouTube if you need some hints.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Rugerforme

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Very nice.

IN the process of building one myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2010, 01:01 PM
nc527

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To paint camo, heres the quickest way ive found.

Go to the store and pick up green, black, and brown krylon camo paints.

rough up the stock first with some 220 grit sandpaper, so the paint will stick better.

Now lay down a even basecoat of either the green or brown depending on your enviroment.

Once this is dry, go out and collect some long, slendor weeds or other folliage.

To get texture, simply fan out a large clump of the weeds, and lay them on the stock, then spray. When you lift it up, the pattern will show. Then just keep moving down the rifle. Repeat with any other colors.

Then I like to give my rifle a "dusting" of brown paint. To do this simply hold the can like 16 in away, and lightly dust the stock. This helps blend the colors together.

I then clear coat with 4 coats of spray on satin polyurethean.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Crowcifier666

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank for the comments guys, it is a work in progress. Looking into a barrel strut and Phantom flash hider, next.

The camo stock will definitely make a good winter project, want it to look good though, I'll probably do a light grey to black digital camo. Been watching youtubes on how to do do it, not an immediate necessary mod but, it's on the list.

Ok, I know Im rambling...goodnight
Old 12-11-2010, 10:43 PM
reverendg
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowcifier666 View Post
Thank for the comments guys, it is a work in progress. Looking into a barrel strut and Phantom flash hider, next.

The camo stock will definitely make a good winter project, want it to look good though, I'll probably do a light grey to black digital camo. Been watching youtubes on how to do do it, not an immediate necessary mod but, it's on the list.

Ok, I know Im rambling...goodnight

Barrel strut? That's a new one to me.....except of course for mini 14/30's.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Crowcifier666

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendg View Post
Barrel strut? That's a new one to me.....except of course for mini 14/30's.
My goal is a SOCOM m14 look, so I am in the process of trying to figure out a barrel strut for the 22. I think that I might be able to rig something up on the end of my quad rail (I have the compact stock with no barrel band, I have some space between the end of the stock and the end of the rail system). I'm trying to avoid hanging it on the barrel so as not to affect accuracy. It's pretty much just a cosmetic mod, but I think it'd really add to the build, plus, I'd be the only kid on the block with a strut on my .22

I don't have one for my mini 14, but have always eyed them. If I can find someone who could do one for both rifles, I might have to get two!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Mac12782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm also working on an M1A/M14 style build, trying to come up with a faux gas tube for mine as well. I already have the quad rail on, just ordered some Tech Sights, long muzzle brake, and an M14 flip up buttplate. Even with all the other mods, I think the faux gas tube is that will really give it that M1A look.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:11 AM
Crowcifier666

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mac, how do you plan on mounting the tech sights? cutting the rail back? Also, with the m14 buttplate, is it a slap on job, or is there some modification to be done? where'd you find yours?

Keep me posted on your build, I'd love to see some photos, too. I'm goin to work on the strut/gas tube project next. I just have to figure whether to mount it to the barrel, or maybe the quad rail....
Old 12-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Crowcifier666

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Made a paracord adjustable sling last night....I'm really happy with the (close to-) finished product.

The fore end snap is tied with a Prussic hitch around the length of cobra-stitched sling, daisy chained for extra length if I get fat!

Just waiting for the rail mounted sling stud and we're in business!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Sims426

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
lookin good! what mag is that?
Old 12-14-2010, 04:50 AM
Crowcifier666

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, Sims. That is an Eagle International Inc. 30 round mag. The previous owner threw in two to seal the deal plus one factory 10 rounder. Definitely not as reliable as the Ruger mags, they are all plastic, but still a lot of fun. They have posts on them so you can jungle clip two mags together (kinda worn out though). I'd really like to get the 50 round tear drop mag. More capacity and just looks 10x better IMO. It's supposed to look like an M1A, not a AK47!

Last edited by Crowcifier666; 12-14-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Mac12782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowcifier666 View Post
Mac, how do you plan on mounting the tech sights? cutting the rail back? Also, with the m14 buttplate, is it a slap on job, or is there some modification to be done? where'd you find yours?

Keep me posted on your build, I'd love to see some photos, too. I'm goin to work on the strut/gas tube project next. I just have to figure whether to mount it to the barrel, or maybe the quad rail....
I had a package waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday so I snapped a few pics of what the rail looks like with the rear Tech Sight installed. Took less than 10 minutes with a dremel. Ignore the sanded down stock, I'm still in the process of sanding it down to give it more of an M1A look.

As far as the M14 buttplate, it's going to take some work to get it to fit and look right. I knew I wanted it since IMO its is one of those things that makes an M1A/M14 different from most other rifles. It might be easier for you to modify your stock for one than mine since you have the Compact model stock and mine is the Carbine model with the curved buttplate. Here is a picture of the M14 buttplate I won on ebay for $12 shipped. Its old, and used, and I like it lol. I want this rifle to look like its been through hell when it's all pieced together, I think this'll do haha. You can also get them from http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/ starting at $5 or as low as $18 for a complete stock with buttplate.

Yours is looking good man. How long did that sling take to put together?

Last edited by Mac12782; 12-16-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Crowcifier666

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mac, that looks real good. Just what I was hoping for, except now I have two more things to buy for my build now: The butt plate and the tech sights. I hear ya about looking like it's been through hell. Building this to be a kind of beater that I won't have to worry too much about scratching or bumping....the stock came a little dinged up when I bought it, no expensive optics, so might as well roll with it, right? A full cover of duracoat may be in the future, too.

The sling, like I said, came out way better than I had imagined. It's ~50' of cord, one ~5' section for the length of sling, about ~40' for the stitching/braiding around it, and another ~5' for the Prussic (adjuster) hitch with the snap. Only took me 2 or 2.5 hours, start to finish.Think I got lucky with the guestimated measurements . I just ordered 300' of more cord (black) to play with so if you're interested, let me know.

Thanks for the tips....keep us posted on the build!
Old 12-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Lineman60

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Socom 14

This is my version of a SOCOM 14