Odd failure to extract. Bolt action. Ideas? Not broken in yet? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:24 AM
Flint_Fredrstone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Odd failure to extract. Bolt action. Ideas? Not broken in yet?

I didn't post this to a rifle specific section due to the nature of the problem. I feel it can happen to any .22 mag rifle or handgun.

My rifle extracts fine unless a fired case is left in the chamber for an extended period of time.. (2 days)..

Sometimes I forget and leave an empty case in there and if I leave it too long then it won't extract. When I pry out the case I notice some green corrosion on the outside of the case. The rifle shoots fine otherwise. Does moisture cause this corrosion and would this cause the case to "stick" in the chamber?... my extractor looks new and shows evidence that this gun hasn't been fired much. Is this gun just... "not broken in yet"... ??
Old 02-13-2020, 06:46 AM
Remington74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It seems to me that your chamber is in need of a good cleaning.

Is this a new gun or just a recent development?

I would clean that chamber and barrel with a good solvent and then totally dry with patches until they come out clean.

It seems that brass is reacting with something in that chamber, need to remove whatever that is.

Another possibility is the ammo itself. Maybe old or improperly stored for a long time. Try another brand, CCI has always performed well for me.

ps: Maybe make it a practice to not leave fired brass in the chamber, eject that last one. It is possible that the burned powder residue is reacting with the brass.

Last edited by Remington74; 02-13-2020 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Another thought
Old 02-13-2020, 08:44 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Your actions aren't really safe either. NEVER leave a case in the chamber. Some day you're going to end up leaving a live round in there and who knows how that can turn out. I don't think you'll ever find a safety instructor or an RO who will think what you're doing is a good idea. When you're done shooting, open the bolt and walk off the line with it open and empty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 09:02 AM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington74 View Post
ps: Maybe make it a practice to not leave fired brass in the chamber, eject that last one.
No "maybe" about it. Always eject the last round fired.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:48 PM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
Your actions aren't really safe either. NEVER leave a case in the chamber. Some day you're going to end up leaving a live round in there and who knows how that can turn out. I don't think you'll ever find a safety instructor or an RO who will think what you're doing is a good idea. When you're done shooting, open the bolt and walk off the line with it open and empty.
X2..or 4 or 6.
The day is going to come where you decide to dry fire the rifle for some reason because you 'know' it's a spent cartridge.
That's the kind of thing everyone who has an accidental discharge says.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:56 PM

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So that means after your last shot you never open the action to clear the chamber to make sure it's empty and safe when your done shooting? I've never heard or seen this in almost 50 years of shooting. Thats a bad habit you need to loose before someone gets hurt or killed. Lucky it's not a semi auto or you'ld have a live round in there a couple days.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Is it possible whatever you are using as a cleaning solvent is heavy on ammonia to clean jacketed bullet fouling? Something is causing a rapid verdigris reaction.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:23 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Only you Flint! I gotta admit you have the most interesting issues with rifles and scopes!
Old 02-16-2020, 11:21 AM
Plainsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Second time in a week...

This is the second time this week I’ve seen/heard of somebody leaving an empty in a chamber because they “think it is safer” and in all reality it is NOT! I had never heard anybody doing that in 45+ years of handling firearms, then twice in one week!!

Lots of good advice above stating to clear that chamber! The ONLY way to be sure a firearm is safe is to open and clear that chamber!

So as far as the posters original issue, it should never be an issue if the chamber is cleared properly. Could it happen to all of us? Probably, but most people properly clear the chamber and many clean the firearm as well, so it never appears.