Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:52 AM
Crowcifier666
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tech Sights Tool-less Adjustment

I just tried a few searches and came up with nothing. I've seen a few posters that had a click adjuster on their Tech Sights rear sight windage knob. It appeared to eliminate the required tool that Tech Sights sells.

Any help?
Old 01-21-2015, 10:25 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (127)
I installed Rapidex knobs on my trainers. The bonus is that it has twice as much adjustment as the wheel, 10 points rather than 5. To put one on the Tech, you have to sand down the boss in the middle of the knob, then it will fit up just fine. I take the plunger, reverse it, and Dremel the tip down so it has a ball shape on the end. It will work just as well as a ball bearing. You can get the knob at Midway, and they have balls and springs too, if you don"t want to modify the plunger.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:57 PM
Crowcifier666
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, Olshooter. Put one on my wishlist. Do you still get audible/felt clicks when adjusting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 07:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (127)
Yes.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:57 PM
TAC001
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ol shooter,
What sights are those you have on those 10/22's of yours?

Looks like you have both rear aperture AND a rail at the same time, allowing you to go back and forth between optics and iron sights without removing the rail.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:03 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (127)
Those are Nodak Rear sights. Tech is also making a rear rail/sight setup now too.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 AM
Popeye1959
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any idea where to get the Rapidex knobs now that Midway has discontinued them? I emailed DPMS, but they never got back to me.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:55 AM
mykdee
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Would the newer A2 style windage knobs work?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:44 AM
Popeye1959
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know, I don't think so. The one I got is a DPMS A2. It uses a spring and detent in the knob, whereas the other one uses a detent and spring in the base and the knob has multiple depressions for the detent.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:29 PM
Gebogen
US Navy Veteran Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tech 100 Windage nob

I'm getting set up to do the AS event in my neck of the, well, dessert. and I did not like the idea of needing a tool to adjust the windage on the tech sights. The stock AR15 nob works great with a couple of easy adjustments.
1. Take off the stock windage nob by driving out the pin.
2. Use an appropriate sized pin to line up the two nobs. Be careful to set the Tech nob holes on either side of the detent hole on the AR nob.
3. Use a 3/32 bit to drill five depresions into the back side/inside of the AR nob by using the Tech nob as a template. I put the AR nob in a vice and used a small set of vice grips to lock it into place. Don't go too deep, but depth isn't critical.
4. Get a 1/8 ball bearing ($.99 for four at the hardware store) and replace the detent piece in the tech sight. Mine fit perfectly.
5. Put the spring washer back on and use a small punch to line the hole in windage screw with the AR nob hole.
6. you can use the roll pin from the AR (preferred) or the roll pin from the tech site, they both work.
7. use the windage nob without a tool, just like on your AR.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:59 PM
Popeye1959

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is what I posted elsewhere on here:

I did some modifications to a DPMS Rear Base Windage Knob (UR23) to mount it to the Tech Sights rear sight on my 10/22.

First I drove out the ¼” long, 1/16” roll pin that held the windage drum in place. I removed the spring washer and detent and left the spring in place. I then drilled out the shaft hole in the DPMS windage knob with a 17/64 drill bit to fit over the outer portion of the windage drum. The DPMS knob could have been installed two ways. Just on the end of the windage screw and relied on friction to prevent movement or, as I did it so I could use a spring and ball in place of the original detent.

Once the hole was deep enough to allow the knob to fit flush on the windage drum, I removed material from the back so the holes would line up. Probably removed 1/16” of material, just guessing as I didn’t measure it and eyeballed the alignment and periodically tried to push a 1/16” drift punch through. There are many ways you could remove the material, but go slow and keep it even. I used a flat file placed on the work bench and rubbed the knob back and forth until I was there – yeah, it took a while.

The hole I drilled in the knob wasn’t quite large enough in diameter to fit on the windage drum, so I had to use the end of a rattail file which worked out fine as the bit of the shaft on the Tech Sights part is tapered slightly. Careful reaming and scraping with a razor knife opened it up so the knob would slip on far enough so the pin would go through both parts and the windage screw.

I installed a DPMS Rear Base Ball Bearing (F1001652) in place of the Tech Sights detent, placed the spring washer on the windage screw, aligned the hole in the knob with the hole in the screw and drove the pin in place. I did not have a longer 1/16” roll pin so I made a pin out of one of the legs of a small cotter pin.

Now the knob is easily adjusted by hand without a tool, has positive stops in the correct increments as the original Tech Sight so it still adjusts about ¼” per click @25 yards.