Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:02 AM
SLee84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Be careful!!

Howdy All,
I'm sure a lot of people on here will call me a dinghy but I'm going put a post up to maybe keep somebody from making my mistake. So I got this old Marlin 81DL an while the trigger was quite nice I figured I'd lighten it a tad, even though it was already pretty light 🤔. So I decided to take a couple coils, little bits at a time, off the trigger spring. An I did lighten it up to where I thought... Very nice!! Everything was safe, with the safe off an being banged on the butt an working the bolt hard everything worked good. But frickin dummy me!!!! I thought.... Well I can get just a little more. So instead of taking half a coil like I should've, I took about a coil an a quarter. So I started working it an felt the trigger an it felt great to me, nice an light an crisp!! An then the problem started. While holding the rifle barrel up, kinda like you were aiming up a tree at a squirrel, the trigger seemed even lighter an the frickin bolt started dropping, meaning it was firing, when I closed the bolt fairly hard. For a second I thought.... Maybe a fluke. But no!!!!! Holding it up an working the bolt hard it would fire. So to hopefully save somebody from making the same mistake I'm putting it on here. Be extremely careful taking off coils when you're trying to lighten the trigger!!! I now got a new spring on order.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:31 AM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good advice. Reminds me of that old saying: Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:54 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Or maybe an old song "you have to know when to hold um and know when to fold um"

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2020, 09:00 AM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Problem on these simple triggers is the spring tension is also the sear tension.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:02 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Old machinists rule of thumb
Take off half of what you think you need to do, each time. This means as you get closer to finished you are removing less each time.
My experience with triggers is get close and live with it for a while.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:26 AM
SLee84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, all very good advice. I should've left it alone at very good. I should've halfed what I took the last time. I think that'd just done it. Oh well, live an learn I guess, lol!
Old 02-20-2020, 10:31 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
At least it is just a spring, much worse if 'stoning' parts (ie, fools go where angels fear to tread)
Old 02-20-2020, 11:13 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLee84 View Post
Yes, all very good advice. I should've left it alone at very good. I should've halfed what I took the last time. I think that'd just done it. Oh well, live an learn I guess, lol!
Gotta give you credit for 'fessing up to your mistake voluntarily, for the benefit of budding gunsmiths & tinkerers. I was so happy with the trigger improvement on my old Marlin 25N when I replaced the factory spring with a mechanical pencil spring I never thought of improving it further.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:19 AM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
Gotta give you credit for 'fessing up to your mistake voluntarily, for the benefit of budding gunsmiths & tinkerers. I was so happy with the trigger improvement on my old Marlin 25N when I replaced the factory spring with a mechanical pencil spring I never thought of improving it further.
Same with my 80's Glenfield 25. IIRC the old "Bic Click" pen spring was the one recommended.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:35 PM
SLee84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd thought of the pen spring. I did that to a Marlin 917 I have. Mightn't you know it I couldn't find a pen with the right kinda spring though.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:41 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I took apart 4 or 5 pens & mech pencils before I found one that fit well, and was fortunately, "just right."
Old 02-20-2020, 03:45 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Wouldnt ya know....none of the springs in my collection of pens that no longer worked would fit; but the one in my working pen did
Old 02-22-2020, 10:38 AM
SLee84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've a question for you fellers since it sounds like youns have worked on these triggers before. Do youns think if I trimmed the sear spring a tad it would allow the trigger to fully engage the sear better?? Cause that's the problem since I trimmed too much, tilting the barrel causes the trigger to not fully engage the sear. It's extremely close to working fine, it wouldn't need much at all. I'm inclined to think the spring is now too short an it won't make a difference. But if the sear spring is lighter an the trigger spring is so close to working, would it make a difference?? Any an all opinions welcome!!
Old 02-22-2020, 10:51 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Stretch out the one you trimmed too short first
Old 02-22-2020, 11:00 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Given your experience with the first mod, I suggest you get another trigger spring rather than trying to mod the sear spring to compensate for mistakes on the first trigger spring.