Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:07 PM
Granite6
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
597 Free float vs innertube?

I recently free floated my barrel by sanding the stock channel.

I ran across a thread (can't find it now) where it was suggested to use innertube rubber to support the barrel near the action.

I'm a little confused, I'm used to free floating my centerfire guns. What's the thought on the rubber "shim"? Is the receiver too weak, or is this more about dampening barrel harmonics?

I'm getting ready to retest ammo since I just sanded the channel a week ago. Should I ditch this and use the innertube?

Any details on how long the rubber/barrel contact should be?
Old 02-16-2020, 10:22 PM
jackkade

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only way you will know for sure is to do both. Test it "free floated", since you have that task already done. Afterwards, you can do the innertube and then compare results. Just my thoughts
Old 02-16-2020, 10:44 PM
AVB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A little support near the receiver is probably a good thing, just to relieve a little stress from the connection from the barrel to receiver. Some guns like a little pressure at the end of the forearm, you just have to experiment and see what your gun likes best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 10:56 PM
Granite6

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the quick replies gents.

I have a brick of Eley Club coming in, plus some other samples. So I may just try the innertube trick while at the range.

Test, tweak, rinse, recycle repeat....
Old 02-17-2020, 02:46 AM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iíd shoot it first and see. Most 597s are good out of the box. If anything loosen the guide rods and donít over-tighten the barrel.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:09 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkade View Post
The only way you will know for sure is to do both. Test it "free floated", since you have that task already done. Afterwards, you can do the innertube and then compare results. Just my thoughts
What Jack said however, the majority of 597 harmonics seem to prefer singing free........floated.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:40 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite6 View Post
I recently free floated my barrel by sanding the stock channel.

I ran across a thread (can't find it now) where it was suggested to use innertube rubber to support the barrel near the action.

I'm a little confused, I'm used to free floating my centerfire guns. What's the thought on the rubber "shim"? Is the receiver too weak, or is this more about dampening barrel harmonics?

I'm getting ready to retest ammo since I just sanded the channel a week ago. Should I ditch this and use the innertube?

Any details on how long the rubber/barrel contact should be?
Since for most modern [aluminum receiver] 22s the barrel represents the greatest mass of the system, it is not uncommon to bed the barrel and let the receiver "float" off it, rather than the other way around. Obviously, this presumes some way of securely fastening the barrel to the stock, but failing that, shimming the first inch or so of the barrel as it exits the receiver may approximate the same result.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:03 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
What Jack said however, the majority of 597 harmonics seem to prefer singing free........floated.
I drug out my new to me 597 the other day and did a rough sight in to get it on paper. After the short session I looked at the stock to barrel fit plus the stock flex and remembered your quote above. Guess I will be doing a little channel sanding. Thanks Al.

John
Old 03-09-2020, 06:20 PM
staff3704
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My barrel is free floated and seems to be doing very well. Naturally you need better than a stock trigger to tell.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was curious to see how you faired in your testing?