Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 08:30 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

Considering that I haven't felt all that good, its been a pleasant enough day w/the sunshine about. Topped @ 51 A, but never got out of the 40's chill factor wise w/light wind SE <10mph. Still too chilly for me to be out doing much yard werk. Took the bride out & about, after a very nice late breakfast she'd fixed perfectly to my liking. She liked her gift I'd had rat-holed, so that was cool. We dropped by her fav. spot where she didn't find anything she wanted, made some groceries at a couple of other spots, topped up the tank on my old beast at $1.919 for corned swill and came home.

Getting that gas was a keystone cop full blown disaster and it ended up taking two tries and a total of a good half hour to get it and get gone. One pump had its card reader out & not working, but there were people who just knew if they kept trying, it would somehow work. It didn't. Others had apparently forgotten what side of their vehicles housed the filler cap and then when once actually at the pump found them to all be on a work slow down of the sort one gets when the equipment is old and tired and you could actually count aloud faster than the fuel was being delivered! Decided by the time we got out of that circus that I would have been better off paying another nickel a gallon somewhere else; problem was that once I committed I couldn't get back out as all entries and exits were blocked by people in vehicles that they somehow managed to wedge into a 'pick-up-stix' matrix queue and the only way I had to go was forward, if I but waited long enough. Didn't have anything pressing, so just lived thru it & watched the comix as folks around us got frustrated, used their horns, spoke in foreign languages and used unfriendly hand signals at one another and I watched two ladies whom I was in eye contact with and that were not losing their composure just shake their heads, roll their eyes and smile. It was enough excitement.. or wazzit a trial(?) for the day, for me. I coulda got to muttering, but the bride was present, so I abstained. VD, ya know. It only took a bit over 16 gallons, so the nickel(s) saved in total was under a buck. I try not to think about that kind of bad math, but had plenty of time to do so while I exhibited exceptional restraint and gentlemanly composure awaiting my turn at yet another false economy.

Picked up some OTC decongestant multi symptom cold & flu formula soft gels. Hope they werk. Nothing but water, today, tonight & tomorrow & thru the weekend, if necessary. I'd like this 'junk' gone before it gets other ID's and takes a holt.
--

On a more funner subject, I'd picked up a pair of leather cased 12x50 "Patrician Deluxe' post war Japanese binoculars w/coated optics for ten bucks while pawn shopping the other day. Crummy weather wasn't conducive to seeing well thru them from inside the store, but for the price figured if they turned out to be not so good, I could always give them to someone's kid to play with. Found out this afternoon they have great glass! They don't focus close, but will be fine for truck glasses or at the range. 12x is where you need a solid rest or brace to have them perfectly still, but I was pleasantly surprised at the clarity of image and all the way to the edge of the field of vision. I know they were making some dandy 7x50 glasses in 'occupied Japan' after the war under the same brand/label, but can't speak to their using coated optics at that time. I'm guessing these were made in the late 50's~early 60's as the coatings became better and as it is noted as is 'made in Japan'. Case is well worn as are some places on the outer aluminum's lens housing black finish, but the glass is perfect!

Watched some cedar wax-wings gathering in some brushy vines earlier and there is an abundance of cedar berries in the trees and on the ground nearby for them to enjoy feasting on. I'll take the binoculars to the range next time just to do some comparing w/the 10x50 Nikons used for the CLA silhouette spotting. Spotting scopes were prohibited, the last time I read the rules.

Wish my old rifle & pistol & at one time clay target shooting, gunsmithing, bullet casting, mechanic'in, master machinist bud were still here to shoot with me; we had fun together for almost 60 years, from when I was 12 & he was 16. He's been gone a couple of years now, but not a week goes by I don't miss him and we weren't together all that often as full growed adults, living 1.5 hours [under the best conditions] apart, but we spoke often and werked toward doing some things together, when we could. Shooting small bore CLA & PC silhouette matches together was one of them.

How to say anything.. about people and dogs and friends that enriched our lives.. and are the wall paper of our secret decoupage? Uncle Remus had a secret laughing place in the Br'er rabbit stories. I have the cabin externally and the one just mentioned in a dif. and closer place, held within.. and it too is full of smiles & remembered laughter.. where I only play the good tunes.

Last edited by wookness; 02-14-2020 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:05 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Speaking of truck optics the truck series NASCAR 500 had a dandy upside down truck spewing a volcano of sparks sliding from 180 mph to a stop. Walk away.

Cleaned up the pork loin dinner + Capt. Morgan droozle frosted cake mess whilst the Finn and lips carried on into the nite.

Cast Away-Tom Hanks fishing movie

-5˚
Old 02-14-2020, 09:24 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
We spent our Valentines day doctorizing; me in the hospital for the day, her at the dialysis clinic. She's asleep in the living room, I'm slumped at the computer desk (and have a very comfortable chair to flop in). If only I had a recliner I would definitely reclinerize. Happy VD wheeeeeeee..... Don't even have any chocolate to eat. That's really bad! Approaching sleepybye time anyway, don't want to pull a Beavis with sugar and caffeine.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:15 PM
Frank Eagles
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Uncle Remus stories were great. Use to watch them as a kid on TV. Disney Show.

Bed time all.

Goodnight Al, Sophia, Rhody, Don, mdew, wook, Blackwolfe, Alum, GF, Sail, TD, Szumi, Phil, wr, Hawkeye, AZ, nfcracin, COW, Gigi, Carrij, Ranger, Atonic, Rock, Brent, Wayne, mikey, Mike, GP, M92, Gerald, koonta, OldDave, dlong, jnyork, RichJ, Randy, IHMS, JimWY, Greggie, Dean, Tex, CMR, JV, Squirrel, Ground, Alec, 404, 1917, JDWin, Johnny, pans, RonL, arjay, rj, Rick, calibrian and all the rest.

Sleep tight
Old 02-14-2020, 11:47 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdew View Post

Don,
Nice job on the pistol. How did you remove the rust? I have 30 or so metal buckles, chains and snaps off a set of horse team tack from the 20’s. The leather was shot and unfortunately there were no bridles or bits. Or anyone that has any ideas, wife tried vinegar to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post

I sand blast everything prior to parkerizing it. Then I clean it with brake cleaner to degrease it.

For rust you can use a 12 battery charger and baking soda. There are plenty of instructions online.

Do a google search for garage journal.com electrolysis for information on the method Don is talking about. Lots of good info on garagejournal.com on rust removal and a slew of outher shop stuff. Can't use an automatic battery charger without dinking around, so use a manual charger. You don't need much amps, and lower amps may be better. Molasses may werk along with Evaporust or other commercial products. I talked to a guy that restores old motorcycles and he suggested this stuff. He said you can use it several times, but I haven't tried it. You can get it at Menards if you have one in your area or at Amazon and probably other places.
https://www.sunnysidecorp.com/produc...sh&b=s&n=777G1

If you have any rusty racoons I guess you could try this stuff, maybe Al has tried it. https://www.racoon-cleaner.com/en/ca...0/rust-remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
Been down with the crud for a week and probably at least another week to go.

Missing out on several shoots and our club's annual party. Same thing happened last year at exactly the same time.

Other than that I'm doing OK.
Hope you shake the crud soon jn.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:49 AM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good Morning RFC'rs, et al:

Inventoried all of the firearms, yesterday, at the LGS. Nothing missing, but a few in the wrong books.

Not much else going on. The range is under water, as the Pearl is way above flood stage.

I'll work out in the ballistic lab today. I should really start casting .38's. Seems like less than a year ago I made 5K .38 spl, but they seem to have evaporated.
I think I have three hundred left. That's over 106 pounds of lead alloy from .38's alone in the berm at the range.

Hope the Wook feels better.

I put $100 down on an old model Ruger Bearcat, with box and papers, sans any dragline. 1963 vintage. I'll take my time paying it off, as I don't plan on shooting it.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:27 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
The Youth at our Church did a Valentine's Dinner for a fund raising project for up coming trips and mission training, we planned on attending but before we could get tickets the Mother of one of our favorite young men gave us tickets. The card that accompanied it really fogged my old eyes up. The Dinner was very good, the Lady who planned it even asked what music the older generation would like to hear. Being from NY and in her thirties we had to give her a crash course in "beach music" and the "snag", Motown she knew about and between her and her musician husband they put together a really good sound track for the event.

Makes me proud that our Youth are always willing to earn money for their events and now just come begging, we have an outstanding group but they have an outstanding Youth Pastor leading them as well.

Made for some tired "seasoned citizens" last night I'm sure.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:43 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not enough snow these days to keep me busy so thought of my leftover ™MolyFusion sitting on the shelf for 10+ yrs. and the ah-ha moment is installing it on at least one 22. Vincent liked the stuff whereas I only used it in cf and one blackpowder rifles. Its not particularly stinky but it works mo betta when the metal is heated up. My cave is 57˚ or less.

0˚ on the button....LAST!
Old 02-15-2020, 07:46 AM
mdew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brian

Thanks for tips, I didn’t think about not using an automatic charger and the website information.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:21 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
20*A and bright & sunny this morning in the Valley.May hit 40 today.
Frost needs to melt off before I go out.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:37 AM
Rock N TN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
18 when I got up at 7:00. Up to 29 @ 9:32. Once the temp gets over 35, have to get on the roof to replace some shingles that blew away during big wind 3 weeks ago. First opportunity because of rain, rain and more rain. Currently, half way through month, this is the 4th wettest February on record.

After roof, will get the spring weed & feed out while cutting nuisance weeds.

Yall have a great day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2020, 09:03 AM
Frank Eagles
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cold good morning. Thick Egos and real maple syrup. Lots of coffee. Sunny and pretty. Birds are enjoying the feeder and suet blacks. Guessers said 50 earlier. Now 40"s. They don't know. Suppose to be fair for a few days. Now chance of showers tomorrow, fair Monday and rain again Tuesday. Gracious. Bright side. Not snow

Not much on agenda today.

Szumi get well. Others too.

Enjoy the day.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:17 AM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Howdy TWH dwellers!

It rained twice this week. Once for 4 days, and once for 3 days! Sheesh! It had to be raining everywhere!

Just finished a very long and busy work week, so wasn't able to post much. I did ketchup just now though.

Get well wishes to all that are ailing!

Great refinishing work Don!

Nice plaque Mayor!

OK motorheads (That means you Mike!) I am having a bit of a problem with my 2005 4-Runner. When accelerating slowly, with RPMs around 1200, and slight torque on the drivetrain (like going up a very slight incline) or when accelerating slightly around an entrance ramp, right at 35-38 mph, the truck sounds and feels as if I am driving over one of those rumble strips. Slight noise and vibration. As soon as I accelerate more (40 MPH) it goes away. I had all the tires checked and rebalanced, so that's not it.

It will not do it if I am travelling on a level surface or going downhill. Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
CPC/sponsor, needs someone better than CPC at math to step up Rhody. .
Tell them the answer is 17! Maybe 43, but most likely 17!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
Botox??
Remember when plastic surgery was a taboo subject? Now the mention of botox doesn't raise an eyebrow!

R
Old 02-15-2020, 09:40 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
OK motorheads (That means you Mike!) I am having a bit of a problem with my 2005 4-Runner. When accelerating slowly, with RPMs around 1200, and slight torque on the drivetrain (like going up a very slight incline) or when accelerating slightly around an entrance ramp, right at 35-38 mph, the truck sounds and feels as if I am driving over one of those rumble strips. Slight noise and vibration. As soon as I accelerate more (40 MPH) it goes away. I had all the tires checked and rebalanced, so that's not it.

It will not do it if I am travelling on a level surface or going downhill. Any ideas?
R
Its either a u-joint, fuel monitoring system, or a gear in the tranny, or sumpin.

Wings are gonna give the Bruins another ration this p.m. Rhody, again.

Last
Old 02-15-2020, 09:42 AM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
< big snips >

Remember when plastic surgery was a taboo subject? Now the mention of botox doesn't raise an eyebrow!
Nice ....

Your truck woes reminded me of this:

Closed Thread