Federal Squibs - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-04-2021, 01:17 PM
CJT50
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
.............. I have contacted federal to see if they offer a remedy.
How did you get a hold of them?

I have made a submission on their web page as well as calling them and being told they will call back for last 2 weeks and NOTHING....
Old 11-04-2021, 02:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation

1200fps RNL is the same 'speed' and weight as the Fed AutoMatch. Maybe off the same line ?? I've had FTF with FAM at about 5%, even after 're-firing' 2-3 times. And they're not very accurate in my 4x 22s - good for cans but shi- on paper, 1"+ most of the time. "Older" Fed Champion 40g RNL 1180 is pretty good, under 1" even in my SAVAGE-64; the "NEW" Champion is 36g HP-HV and again not so accurate.
JMO-YMMV
Old 11-15-2021, 01:37 AM
CH4

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had the same problem a couple years ago with Federal 330 bulk pack. They claimed the squibs were caused by poor crimps. They sent me a new box.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:18 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (120)
This is why I do not use bulk packed ammo, friend of mine ruined my 511-x when he fired a round after a squib left a bullet stuck in the barrel.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:19 PM
Mythbuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What really amazes me is the fact that so many people simply can't understand that ammo like this will not function in a semi auto. They try to feed junk like this in a good semi auto and when it fails they blame the gun.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:55 AM
Beastly
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythbuster View Post
What really amazes me is the fact that so many people simply can't understand that ammo like this will not function in a semi auto. They try to feed junk like this in a good semi auto and when it fails they blame the gun.
In 50+ years of shooting, I've NEVER had a squib......rimfire or otherwise! Shot THOUSANDS of FAM, Thunder duds and Golden bullets out of my semi autos/ levers/pumps/revolvers....considered crap ammo to many, but other than the occasional (extremely occasional) FTE/FTF, I've had narry a problem! Luck? Maybe, but I'm sure not complaining!
Old 11-25-2021, 10:55 AM
Mythbuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are a lucky man
Old 11-25-2021, 02:28 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddie01
1200fps RNL is the same 'speed' and weight as the Fed AutoMatch. Maybe off the same line ??
Same specs, but definitely different ammo in my experience.

FAM has been very underpowered and inconsistent. 80% failure to eject in one of my semi-autos and a LOT of vertical stringing.

The 2 range packs I bought have been the best bulk ammo I've ever had. Groups are half the size of every other "good" bulk I've ever tried. Cycles just fine in all my semi-autos too.

I'm surprised the OP had such a bad experience with the range packs. But it seems 22lr ammo quality has fallen off in recent times - across all US manufacturers. Aren't prices going the wrong direction for this type of change?
Old 11-25-2021, 03:11 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastly View Post
In 50+ years of shooting, I've NEVER had a squib......rimfire or otherwise! Shot THOUSANDS of FAM, Thunder duds and Golden bullets out of my semi autos/ levers/pumps/revolvers....considered crap ammo to many, but other than the occasional (extremely occasional) FTE/FTF, I've had narry a problem! Luck? Maybe, but I'm sure not complaining!
I have never in 50 plus years of shooting about every popular caliber ever made, have ever had a squib either.. Must be a new thing with modern MFG techniques..

I have used the Blue Box in the past with no problems..And the current 325 Auto Match with no problems though..I use it mostly for function testing, I work on alot of 22s, and plinking.

Let us know what they say..If this is indeed happening, a recall should be warranted soon..
Old 11-25-2021, 04:28 PM
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post
I have never in 50 plus years of shooting about every popular caliber ever made, have ever had a squib either..
I'm at almost 70 years of shooting .22 and I've never had a bullet stick in the barrel (that I know about).

I wonder if it's possible to shoot another round on a stuck bullet and blow it out of the barrel?

If that's possible, I suppose I may have done that.

I'm puzzled by posts like this.

Old 11-25-2021, 05:04 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sometimes I wander if the ammo is being stored improperly..Getting wet or damp, causing a under powered round?

I am not saying it cannot ever happen..But I have never had it happen, nor have I ever seen it happen to anyone know..Or heard of it happening to anyone I know..
Old 11-25-2021, 05:14 PM
Lerrab
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Add another more than 5 decades of shooting without a bullet stuck in the barrel and darn few FTF considering the hundreds of thousands of rounds fired. I shoot most days, it's relaxing. I think it may happen in a rare instance. Don't believe all of the reports .
Old 11-25-2021, 08:45 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Same specs, but definitely different ammo in my experience.

FAM has been very underpowered and inconsistent. 80% failure to eject in one of my semi-autos and a LOT of vertical stringing.

The 2 range packs I bought have been the best bulk ammo I've ever had. Groups are half the size of every other "good" bulk I've ever tried. Cycles just fine in all my semi-autos too.

I'm surprised the OP had such a bad experience with the range packs. But it seems 22lr ammo quality has fallen off in recent times - across all US manufacturers. Aren't prices going the wrong direction for this type of change?
Interesting. I suspect that if they appear to be the same load, they might be. But that consistency or lack of might just be the luck of the draw with both types.

I've never purchased the range pack ammo, but have shot 3-4 different lots of the Automatch. Decent for cheap ammo, no cycling issues, a couple FTF on the first strike... but then again I've had more FTF with more expensive stuff on a regular basis, especially Eley ammo.

I can agree that AM isn't very consistent... in my 513T I can actually often hear the difference shot to shot. The sonic boom "crack" is very evident on that rifle with most HV ammo. With the AM22, sometimes.

What gun has the failure to eject issues?

As for the squibs... never had one. I've had a few sound so weak I ran a rod down the barrel, but they apparently exited.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:52 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It is plinking/Hunting ammo people when it comes to bulk..Not match ammo.Stringing? Seriously?.

The low priced ammo serves those of us that just want cheap fun 22 plinking ammo just fine..Except I guess for the guys getting all these squibs with it,LOL
Old 11-26-2021, 08:12 AM
Mythbuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
About 6 months ago during the major ammo shortage our local Walmart got in some Winchester white box 333 round packs. I got two of them before they sold out. Because of this lot of ammo two new .22 rifles sold by one local dealer came back to his shop with bullets stuck in the bore. The first one was not bad. The owner realized what happened and did not fire a second round behind it. The second guy was not so smart. He basically destroyed his new rifle. This ammo did the same thing to me. Bullet stuck about two inches past the chamber. Cleaning rod popped it right out no problem. This lot of ammo was so bad I would up destroying it before someone ruined a gun or worse got hurt because of it. About three months later I tried another lot of this ammo and it was just fine. Also about that time there was some of the 800 round federal packs showing up in my area. It was not as bad as the Winchester but it was terrible. Everyone that bought it that I talked to had problems with it. I would up with one box of it. It would not function in any semi auto I had. Even some that tend to work with about anything. I would up using it in a Ruger Wrangler.