Might stop using the "safety". - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:04 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

There you go Andy, you're doing it right

If you haven't read it yet this is a most interesting book.

https://www.amazon.com/Glock-America.../dp/0307719952

Frank
Old 11-20-2021, 11:01 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Gun can go bang while being reholstered ...

The gun can go bang while being put back in the holster. Make it a practice to remove the holster, put the gun in the holster and then put the holstered gun back in your pants. The femoral artery is really close by and if hit, you will bleed out in short order.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:35 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Frank, I read that on my iPad (kindle app) many years ago. It's probably the only firearms related book I've ever read, as I was curious about the history, and I own a few Glocks and their American ops are just a few miles from my home.

I am NOT a Glock fanboy, however. They are simply cheap, available, and reliable. That's all it comes down to for me, and every pistol I own has a purpose. My USPSA match pistol is an XD, because it's what I have (it was my first) and it works just fine. I did a little trigger work on it. I bought a G17 from a friend in-need, and that's what my daughter shoots in USPSA. It also had some trigger work done, but by a fellow competitor (nationally ranked) - it sleeps in her night-stand. We have plenty of match ammo but no "practice" range ammo. Some day soon, we hope. The point is, we don't have anything that doesn't have a purpose. Except my 1911. Everyone needs a real 1911, right?

I carried a G26 prior to the 43 existed. It was heavy and bulky in comparison to the 43. Still have it, gave it to my daughter in high-school and she carried it before I bought her the Shield. I guess that also falls into the "no purpose" category" except I like to throw it into the glovebox if I have to head "into town"..
Old 11-20-2021, 11:51 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I feel like I probably come across as being some self-proclaimed expert.

I am not, by any means. I have less than two decades of experience, and my shooting skills suck compared to my daughter. Women shoot better anyway, right? Plus, I'm old.

I am, however, a devout supporter of guided teaching (mostly, in our case, a few years of USPSA matches, but now just over a year of rifle competition) - I can not even begin to describe how confident and competent USPSA made my daughter and I in handling weapons.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:44 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
I feel like I probably come across as being some self-proclaimed expert.

I am not, by any means. I have less than two decades of experience, and my shooting skills suck compared to my daughter. Women shoot better anyway, right? Plus, I'm old.

I am, however, a devout supporter of guided teaching (mostly, in our case, a few years of USPSA matches, but now just over a year of rifle competition) - I can not even begin to describe how confident and competent USPSA made my daughter and I in handling weapons.
Yeah, my wife is a much, much, better shot than me with a handgun.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:01 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Boy, this thread has gone all over the place. It might be ok in some situations not to have a safety on and in others to me it would be dumb. At the range, who cares, action open when you are dry. In the field humping hills and valleys with a loaded chamber, dumb. In a tree stand, maybe smart until you want to get down. In a self defense gun, depends on the gun. In rimfire target pistols, depends on the type of shooting you are doing. Nice thing about 22 revolvers is you don't need a safety to put them in the holster and hump them around all day. A 22 Buckmark, not such a good idea. No firing pin safety and not a gun I would want to carry chambered in a holster for plinking. In that case, chamber empty in the holster just to have it when I need or want to shoot.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:40 AM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
At the range, who cares, action open when you are dry.
I resist the idea of a different procedure at the range for any single firearm. If I would use the safety in other contexts, I would also use it at the range. Carrying around two different sets of habits for one object may introduce a problem.

It's also why I would make satisfaction the safety part of my selection process.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:00 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On a range, we use breech flags, don't think I ever engaged the safety except one time when shooting a 1500 comp when I inadvertently engaged the safety on my Marlin .357 it felt weird. the trigger did nothing and it spat out live cartridge's!

Drat another 1500 comp down the swanny
Old 11-25-2021, 11:02 AM
Mythbuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
For my carry gun, it stays on half cock with the safety off.
what is your carry gun?
Old 11-25-2021, 12:41 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Back to what the OP was suggesting. Besides YOU, who else would know your safety is on?

Better not to point it at anyone, don't carry it chambered (unless you're expecting trouble) and keep finger(s) off the trigger.

Wonder how many people have had "accidental misfires" thinking that their safety was on?
Old 11-25-2021, 01:59 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Use Winchester ammo and you may not have to fret about safeties.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:05 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post

Better not to point it at anyone, don't carry it chambered (unless you're expecting trouble) and keep finger(s) off the trigger.

?
WOW!!! What a concept!!!. Too bad we can't teach that to our kids, or some grownups we know.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythbuster View Post
what is your carry gun?
Itís a Walther P22 that Iíve carried for over 15 years.
I carried it with the safety on until I found its current snatch holster.
It wonít fall out, you canít pull it out, and the trigger is covered.
Folks mean mouth the P22 but every time Iíve pulled the trigger with several kinds of ammo, itís went bang.

Off topic, but in the last 20 years weíve had one (1) FTF and that was a mini mag in my wifeís 10/22.