MKII Comp Target slam fired / Doubled - now won't cock hammer - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:11 PM
tominboise
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
MKII Comp Target slam fired / Doubled - now won't cock hammer

I was out shooting an offhand match with my MKII Competition Target model today, using Remington SV Kleanbore ammo when I experienced a slam fire or double. After the slam fire / double, the hammer will not stay cocked.

I disassembled when I got home and noted nothing amiss, although I don't really know what I am looking for. The firing pin is free to move and properly retracted in the bolt. I cleaned the pistol and reassembled but it does not cock the hammer when the bolt is retracted.

Any ideas on where to look, or does it have to go back to Ruger for inspection?
Old 11-22-2021, 08:24 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can you give us a little history of the pistol? Have you owned it long? Has any modifications been done to it, like aftermarket trigger or internal components installed?
Old 11-22-2021, 09:17 PM
tominboise

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I bought it used a couple years ago. I do not know if any aftermarket parts have been installed in the pistol - I don't think so but I don't know what to look for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2021, 09:25 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
First culprit from my perspective would be the sear spring.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:48 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
First culprit from my perspective would be the sear spring.
That would be a great guess.... can't think of much other reason the hammer doesn't lock back.

You should be able to check that without anything major. Just remove the mainspring assembly again and look for the spring from below. Within the slot that the mainspring assembly goes, there will be a pin that goes across it at about the level of the bottom of the trigger.

There should be a thin spring captured under there, with tension on it.

If you need help checking, I can take a photo or two if needed. It makes way more sense in a photo..... if I can get a decent one.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:00 PM
slickshot223
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Does the trigger have any adjusting screws in it?? Some factory triggers had a pre-travel screw that sometimes moves and holds the disconnect open!! Is the recoil spring in good condition?? And in place correctly?? Take the upper off and check the sear engagement by pushing the hammer forward. If it does engage, inspect the disconnect lever for movement! Also check the sear return spring which mounts below the sear on the left side. Sometimes the tail of the spring will be out of location and not return the sear to cocking mode, and or the spring may have broken! If all that checks ok, next place to look would be the main spring housing!!
Let us know how you make out!
Old 11-23-2021, 08:15 AM
tominboise

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the tips. It appears that one leg of the sear spring has come loose. I will pull the gun apart and see if I can reset it or if there is something wrong with the spring or where it engages. Is it common for this spring to come loose? I have not had any issues like this with my other MKII's.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:45 PM
tominboise

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So I disassembled the gun and it appears that the PO installed a different sear spring, maybe a VQ, who knows, but in any event, the sear spring has either weakened or distorted enough that it does not preload the sear at all. So I ordered a OEM spring off ebay and will install that when it arrives.

From the looks of it, the sear is likely aftermarket as well. We shall see how it works when I get the new spring in.

Worst part is that I had a pretty good target going when it let go.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:39 PM
slickshot223
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Wanted to catch you before you ordered one, I have some could send!!
Glad you found the trouble hope I didn't ramble too much with the notes!
Old 11-23-2021, 03:48 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad to hear you got it figured out. Hope you are back up and shooting in short order.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:06 PM
tominboise

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshot223 View Post
Wanted to catch you before you ordered one, I have some could send!!
Glad you found the trouble hope I didn't ramble too much with the notes!
I appreciate the offer! I will let you know if the spring I have coming doesn't fix the problem.

Love this place.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:21 AM
RodJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
This site should be renamed %%%%fasthelpcentral.com.

It’s amazing to me how quickly good people come leaping out of the bushes to diagnose stuff and help out even with offers of parts.

Another reason to give thanks.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:04 PM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodJ View Post
This site should be renamed %%%%fasthelpcentral.com.

It’s amazing to me how quickly good people come leaping out of the bushes to diagnose stuff and help out even with offers of parts.

Another reason to give thanks.
I think it's fine as an intellectual exercise to solicit opinions about what's gone wrong with your Ruger, but I also think that it would be reckless to attempt a repair on a gun that's slam firing unless you're an experienced gunsmith.

Rather, I recommend that you simply send the gun to Ruger. Contact them to get shipping instructions, and a repaired gun will likely be returned to you within two weeks AT NO CHARGE. As an added benefit, they'll tell you what was actually wrong.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:50 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltlog View Post
I think it's fine as an intellectual exercise to solicit opinions about what's gone wrong with your Ruger, but I also think that it would be reckless to attempt a repair on a gun that's slam firing unless you're an experienced gunsmith.
The symptom was a double fire. That is a serious issue that needs resolved before using the gun further. However, the fact that the pistol would no longer cock would indicate a problem with the sear, and NOT a slam fire.

The fact that the gun had a dangerous type of discharge does indicate using caution in bringing the pistol back into service though. A number of dry fires should be done after repair to verify the sear captures the hammer consistently. Then several mags loaded to only 2 rounds should be fired before using any mags loaded with more.

Thanks for reminding us to think "safety first"!