First Colt Revolver - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:56 AM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Of course if he just wants to shoot a .22 Peacemaker type revolver the reproductions may be the way to go. I'm not a fan of the cheap Rugers and others with their zinc frames, but the Uberti revolvers made in Italy offer very good value and are all steel. If Colts other than the 1873 types are considered the Police Positive revolvers are very good and are much more affordable. Then there are the Officer's models, larger framed guns on a par with the S&W Model 17s.

Genuine Colt 1873 types are very good but not so good on a teenager's budget.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:22 PM
monty52
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
GB sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWKRemuda View Post
Do you find that the GB prices on penny reserve auctions to be more than paid at LGS/Gun Shows to be that much higher? My LGS prices everything based on GB closed auctions. He does like going and looking at LGS/Pawn shops/Museum's He loves the gun museum in Claremore, OK... Need to get him to some gun shows.
Gun broker has its drawbacks. Mostly getting into a bidding war on some of those penny auctions and over paying. Also, gun broker now adds sales tax onto most gun sales which makes it less of a good deal. Gun shows and local gun shops are much more fun and you get to examine the gun in person. Sometimes you run across a old time country gun shop who does not price things by internet pricing. not many of them left, but they are out there if you look. Have fun !!
Old 11-24-2021, 07:40 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWKRemuda View Post

My list for him:
New Frontier
Peacemaker
Scout
Marlin 39A
Winchester 9422
Hey! You stole my list!

Best of luck to both of you. It sounds like you're both going to have a great time!
Old 11-24-2021, 08:15 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcollector2 View Post
Of course if he just wants to shoot a .22 Peacemaker type revolver the reproductions may be the way to go. I'm not a fan of the cheap Rugers and others with their zinc frames, but the Uberti revolvers made in Italy offer very good value and are all steel. If Colts other than the 1873 types are considered the Police Positive revolvers are very good and are much more affordable. Then there are the Officer's models, larger framed guns on a par with the S&W Model 17s.

Genuine Colt 1873 types are very good but not so good on a teenager's budget.
I agree.

Colt single action revolvers have a special “feel” to them.

I have more disposable income than I had when I started collecting as a teenager. I still don’t shoot my collectibles. I have “collectors” and “shooter”. I have one Colt 22 SA that I shoot. I mentioned earlier a Ruger stainless Single Six. I bought mine in new condition with both cylinders for a little over $300 OTD. I couldn’t come close to that for an original Colt. That doesn’t mean that I like the Ruger more. I don’t. However, I still don’t take a NIB Colt collectible out and shoot it. It is hard to beat a stainless revolver for extensive use and carry. Those cheap Rugers were probably made to compete with Heritage.

I think the OP was looking for shooters and collectors. Some people don’t separate the two. However, if you don’t separate your collectors from your shooters, your collectors will become nothing more than “shooters”. Their collector value will be greatly diminished.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:47 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Even "shooter" quality Colts can be a good investment. You probably won't lose money if you keep it a while. They aren't making any more. I like my Single Sixes but the Colts are more in scale with the .22 caliber being 7/8 the size of a center fire SA Colt. Two years ago I bought a New Frontier 7 1/2" like new but no box for $400 at a gun show. That was the main style I was looking for. I also have an early .22 mag 10" Buntline with the zamac frame that is really light weight and well'balanced. It does have worn bluing but is very accurate and easy to carry. Vintage holsters are available on auction sites. I think your son made a wise choice in collecting these and I wish him good luck.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:12 PM
snglstack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Frontier. Adjustable sights on a field gun.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:21 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
I owned a peacemaker and a new frontier. One is more old style and the new frontier has the adjustable rear site. Not of mine were like new. Had to sell them, but wished I still had them both. Maybe save up and get him one of each. Just be sure they are the steel framed models.