SR22 steel guide rod - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:23 PM
downtown
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
SR22 steel guide rod

Just bought me a new SR22. Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet but I've been reading a little here and there and it seems that a lot of people are replacing the plastic factory guide rod with a steel one such as the Tandemkross one. I don't plan on replacing anything as long as the gun shoots fine but I was just curious as to what the issue was that has some replacing it? Are there are any other tips about this gun I should know? Thanks.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:38 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought the metal one because it added just a little more weight at the muzzle end.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:38 PM
DaStray
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I`ve thought about replacing the plastic for a steel one but keep coming back to the old adage, "If it ain`t broke, don`t fix it".

Thus far it`s been 100% reliable and if needed, I`ll replace it if/when needed.

Edited: I copied and pasted the following from my records...

SR 22 CCI 36/40 HP/Solids 1180/0
Rem(G Bullet) 36 HP 20/0
Aguila HP 60/0

The last column is the # fired with # jams. In my experience, keep it clean, feed it what it likes and you`ll be happy.

Last edited by DaStray; 01-31-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2021, 01:30 PM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown View Post
Just bought me a new SR22. Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet but I've been reading a little here and there and it seems that a lot of people are replacing the plastic factory guide rod with a steel one such as the Tandemkross one. I don't plan on replacing anything as long as the gun shoots fine but I was just curious as to what the issue was that has some replacing it? Are there are any other tips about this gun I should know? Thanks.
Many people seem to think that their firearms need some form of enhancement, or at the very least they wish to personalize them; they may end up replacing factory parts with aftermarket items even though there may be no explicit need, which is entirely their prerogative.

Most aftermarket entities exist soley for reasons of revenue, and not because they offer a superior product. I think the merits of metal vs. polymer recoil assemblies can be discused ad nauseum, but when you look at a classic example of such, e.g., in regards to the Glock OEM polymer recoil assembly rod, they just work, and work, and work, and rarely if ever fail.

If one wanted to they could find any number of "excuses" to purchase aftermarket parts; its lighter, heavier, more colorful, longer, shorter, it's shiney, it's dull, etc.

But I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principle, and also of the belief that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. In sticking to these beliefs I've managed to save myself alot of money over the years.

I don't have a tremendous round count on my SR22 pistol, but as of this moment in time I have no desire to "enhance" it when it has not yet exibited any signs of requiring it.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:18 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine has worked great for all the years I have owned it using the factory rod. I'm another of those that subscribes to the"if it ain't broke, leave it alone" way of doing things. Evidently there a great number of people that can't do things that way and the aftermarket suppliers love it. If I can see a way to improve the performance of a firearm or other things for that matter, I will do so. I just don't see the effectiveness of changing something like a guide rod that works like it's supposed to for somthing else.

Last edited by Arrowhead; 01-31-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:57 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Mine has worked great for all the years I have owned it using the factory rod. I'm another of those that subscribes to the"if it ain't broke, leave it alone" way of doing things. Evidently there a great number of people that can't do things that way and the aftermarket suppliers love it. If I can see a way to improve the performance of a firearm or other things for that matter, I will do so. I just don't see the effectiveness of changing something like a guide rod that works like it's supposed to for somthing else.
I'm usually that way, but after 500 rounds I thought I'd give it a try. Never took it back out.

Edit: I did add a bayonet for yet more weight forward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zombie-hunter guise.jpg (98.0 KB, 381 views)

Old 02-01-2021, 08:59 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
I'm usually that way, but after 500 rounds I thought I'd give it a try. Never took it back out.

Edit: I did add a bayonet for yet more weight forward.
Ah, the ultimate self defense weapon.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:06 AM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Ah, the ultimate self defense weapon.
Yup!

My kids bought it for me for Christmas so they could all have a good laugh.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:32 PM
jstert
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i had a galloway steel guide rod for awhile, until i learned the hard way that its two pieces become unscrewed eventually. i went back to the oem plastic guide. probably have put 6000 total rounds through my sr22, all perfectly fine except for the galloway part.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:22 AM
banners_dad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Steel guide rod

I will be receiving today a Brass Stacker steel guide rod for my SR22...I had a SR22 and put in a Brass Stacker and really enjoyed shooting this gun. Then I did a foolish thing and sold it and bought a Beretta Bobcat 22--WOW--what a mistake. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. So I sold it and bought another SR22--in my limited years of shooting (10 years) I can say the Ruger SR22 is my favorite 22LR pistol. Easy to shoot and very accurate. Ruger really got it right with this beauty!

Last edited by banners_dad; 05-28-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:28 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I thought about ordering the steel guide rod from Tandemkross, but then I figured a steel guide rod on an aluminum slide might not be such a good idea. The polymer one seems to work just fine.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:29 AM
Mark40
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
I thought about ordering the steel guide rod from Tandemkross, but then I figured a steel guide rod on an aluminum slide might not be such a good idea. The polymer one seems to work just fine.
Ordered a TK but have not utilized it. Was thinking along the lines of what DrewBone said, thinking an enhancement is needed. But I've balked at changing it out with the poly; like a bunch of you have said here, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:01 AM
Bigborgel
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
LCP 22LR Locks open often

My new LCP 2 22LR will lock open with rounds still in the mag about 20% of the time. Does anyone have/had the same issue and fixed it?
Old 08-20-2021, 12:50 PM
Carrij
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Angry Sorting out issues with a SR22 with my buddy

My friend and I both have an SR22, mine has run flawlessly since I got it and it now has over 8,000 rounds through it. My buddy has around 5,000 through his and has had failure to eject off and on since new. Today it seemed like at least twice per magazine it would not eject the spent cartridge and the next round would be pushed up against the spent case still in the chamber. It was time for us to do some investigating.

We had already swapped out the STS guide rod & return spring with no improvement so we went back to the original one. Don felt the problem was in the upper so I put his upper and spring on my SR22 and using his four magazines proceeded to shoot. He went through all four mags without a hiccup. Reloaded the mags and shot another 40 rounds flawlessly. We then switched the upper back to his gun and immediately had failure to extract issues again. It’s not the upper or the mag. Rather than mess around I just let him shoot mine and I shot my Mark 4 that I also had with me. He will be sending sending his back to Ruger and let them figure it out. It was now 10am, 89 degrees with the heat index of 111 degrees so we just called it a day.

Last edited by Carrij; 08-20-2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:40 PM
Carrij
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back from Ruger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrij View Post
My friend and I both have an SR22, mine has run flawlessly since I got it and it now has over 8,000 rounds through it. My buddy has around 5,000 through his and has had failure to eject off and on since new. Today it seemed like at least twice per magazine it would not eject the spent cartridge and the next round would be pushed up against the spent case still in the chamber. It was time for us to do some investigating.

We had already swapped out the SS guide rod & return spring with no improvement so we went back to the original one. Don felt the problem was in the upper so I put his upper and spring on my SR22 and using his four magazines proceeded to shoot. He went through all four mags without a hiccup. Reloaded the mags and shot another 40 rounds flawlessly. We then switched the upper back to his gun and immediately had failure to extract issues again. It’s not the upper or the mag. Rather than mess around I just let him shoot mine and I shot my Mark 4 that I also had with me. He will be sending sending his back to Ruger and let them figure it out. It was now 10am, 89 degrees with the heat index of 111 degrees so we just called it a day.
Well my friends SR22 came back from the mothership and the report says they replaced the barrel and take down lever. They indicated they shot 30 rounds of CCI without any issues. I remounted the red dot, let the blue loktite cure and today took it to the range to re-sight the gun. After accomplishing that I put it through its paces. I ran 400 CCI Blazer lrn without a hiccup. I also had not cleaned it so it was as it was coming back from Ruger. I will clean it and go back to the range with my buddy Friday to let him enjoy his gun.