Poll: Is Your 39A Scoped Or Not? - Page 15 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:40 PM
shootrj2003
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Rifles look better with a long bbl,39a 's have more capacity with a long bbl,they look better,they shoot better,because I don't hunt with a Det..Special,rifles are supposed to have a long bbl.with iron sights you have a longer sight radius ,aids in shooting accuracy,they LOOK better,there's more blue steel to admire and that makes the Walnut look better....because that's just the way their s' posed to be ....long ,sleek and beautiful,oh ..and no I don,'t have a scope!
Old 03-29-2020, 11:10 PM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Glad you still have good eye's. I have diabetic eye's and a scope or Red Dot lets me shoot properly again free hand. I can use regular sights but it definitely is a strain. Plus I like the shorter Mounties. I do not like the pistol grips. I like mine straight.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:59 AM
jkingrph
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog357 View Post
My 1951 Peanut - Yes - love this Weaver this scope, has a post reticle
The 1973 Octagon - No - probably will be before long
The 1970 39CL - Yes
Almost all my rifles are scoped, I'm old and have bad eyes
I

I am in the process of fixing up a Mountie I got last week. Right now it's out in the workshop and I am epoxying a missing bullseye back in the stock. When I found it at a local gunshop it had a cheap ultra high gloss 3-9 scope one it and I simply said that I did not want the scope. I have a couple of old Weaver K series scopes a 2.5 and a 3 power, one post and crosshair the other a German 3 reticule. I got a UTG dovetail to picatinny adapter and some Leupold QRW rings, low and they work fine except for backup irons I want my old Lyman 66 receiver sight and it's a little tight on the scope, so I have some med and high rings on order to try.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:33 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
my 2 39a's

Got the 39a Mountie 63' years ago after owning a Weatherby Mark XXII, Kimber bolt, Remington 541, Browning Belgium T-Bolt etc and etc. Everything else is gone after having the most fun ever with my two Marlins. After acquiring this old Redfield with rings WAY too cheap I just had to mount it up. It is surprisingly clear and usable for the occasional rabbit hunt. I picked up the 54 Ballard about 5 years ago and put the Lyman set on it. Using the round target sight up front it was too dark to hunt with so I put the small post up front and it is now lovely. The 54's hammer was modified by a previous owner and at first I did not like it but it has grown on me to be acceptable if not functional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6623.jpg (281.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6625.jpg (197.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by jazzsax8; 04-02-2020 at 12:07 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-01-2020, 10:41 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
wow,never seen a hammer extension like that before, took some serious work. It looks functional to me, they must have had a scope mounted low.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2020, 01:45 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Jazzsax8,
Looks like someone drilled and tapped the 54. Looks good though.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:56 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
thanks

Thanks for pointing out the not original drilled and tapped on the 54. I would not have known that detail. I would probably not ever want to scope it though. I miss-described my front sight on the previous post. I am using the one that looks like a normal front sight that has a small round bead at the top. I would like to try this rifle prone using the official 50 yard targets and will switch it out to the appropriate sized round one if I ever find a roundtuit! I have never been to any kind of organized competitive shoot but assume this one would work well for the chickens & pigs style shooting. It might be good to put a minimal scope rail on it like the Mountie has for ammo testing purposes as I have a few scopes laying around without a purpose.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:41 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
scope mount

So was comparing the steel mount on the Mountie with the holes in my 54 and is not the right one for sure. In the picture the 3 holes on top of the 54 is all there is. Nothing underneath the Lyman sight at the rear. There are two on the barrel. What scope base would fit this configuration? I would like to use a full size Weaver style slot where I could use a current scope available then easily remove it to shoot the Lymans. Its too bad when they were drilling and tapping that they did not put another one on the tang to mount a tang sight! When did they stop drilling and tapping the barrel on the side for the N mount. Mine does not have them.

Just looked at the Weaver base chart and there is a #29 for the receiver and a #16 for the barrel. This might work except I might have to trim off some of the receiver mount if it interferes with the Lyman mount on the side. The description of these two mounts height suggests a difference back to front of .085. When I measured my difference from the front of the high part on the receiver I only got .055. Did they change this relationship after my 54 was built that these bases apply to? I am wondering if these will line up properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6627.jpg (173.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by jazzsax8; 04-02-2020 at 12:13 PM. Reason: new info
Old 04-04-2020, 10:14 PM
SDCromer
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 1976 39A is iron sights - all original. My 2004 39A has a Simmons 4X scope. I had it out today shooting and I’m still amazed at what a tack driver it is.