Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-22-2020, 11:22 AM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Help! Slow rust bluing issue

help, I am getting a type of uneven spotting, on the receiver of an Springfield 1898 Krag jorgensen, that I'm refurbishing. As you can see from the photos, all of the small parts that were slow rust blued, have come out great...however, the receiver is showing a type of spotting (or unevenness), that almost looks like case hardening.

All normal procedures have been used:

1) All metal sanded to 320 grit
2) All degreased using Simple green, washed with water, than dried, than Acetone scrubbed, all while using Nitrile gloves.
3) Using Pilkingtons slow rust bluing...all I've ever used.
4) Boiled using only Distilled water, 10 minutes.
5) removed from boil, than hand carded using carding brush.

This isn't my first Rodeo, I have slow rust blued several rifles, shotguns with no issues...this one has me stumped. There is no contamination since all metal isn't touched without degreasing, and use of gloves. I have done 5 or 6 cycles of carding with the small parts, they are done. but, the receiver must gave about 10 cycles of boiling/ carding, and I'm still getting this issue.

Any help appreciated.

Old 02-22-2020, 11:35 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Type of steel and previous hardening process may have made the metal on the receiver harder to rust blue. The first thing I would check is your water source. Are you using tap water? If so it may have minerals that are affecting the bluing. I would try distilled water before anything else. You may also want to check your carding brush for impurities. Clean it well with alcohol.

oops, sorry. I see you say you used distilled water.

Last edited by GladesGuy; 02-22-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:46 AM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
Type of steel and previous hardening process may have made the metal on the receiver harder to rust blue. The first thing I would check is your water source. Are you using tap water? If so it may have minerals that are affecting the bluing. I would try distilled water before anything else. You may also want to check your carding brush for impurities. Clean it well with alcohol.

oops, sorry. I see you say you used distilled water.
I'm thinking exactly what you are, is that it's the Metal itself, not wanting to take on the bluing. water isn't an issue, as I only use Distilled. i also make sure the carding brush is cleaned in Acetone before using.

I am thinking of re-sanding down the receiver to bare metal, but i really don't want to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2020, 11:54 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, here's one more thought. I discovered that if you sand beyond 320 grit it is difficult to get an even bluing. So, with no evidence to sustain this thought, maybe try sanding the receiver with slightly rougher grade of grit, say 280 grit, and see what happens.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:33 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
OK, here's one more thought. I discovered that if you sand beyond 320 grit it is difficult to get an even bluing. So, with no evidence to sustain this thought, maybe try sanding the receiver with slightly rougher grade of grit, say 280 grit, and see what happens.
That is an option...

While doing some Internet studying; One guy related that he re-did a bluing job for a friend, who had an old shotgun that he used as a "truck gun"...(i.e. a firearm that you don't care too much if it gets dinged up, etc.) for some reason, he said he only used 180 grit sandpaper to sand her down, and he said he got the smoothest, darkest, blue-black job, that he ever got while using 320 grit or 240 grit.

I am right now doing another cycle, and if this still doesn't improve the spotting, i think I'm gonna sand the receiver to 240 grit and re-try.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:36 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool! I was going to suggest 220 grit but I thought that that might be too rough! Please let me know what happens as I like to restore old guns and that would be a very good bluing trick if it works.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:40 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Cool! I was going to suggest 220 grit but I thought that that might be too rough! Please let me know what happens as I like to restore old guns and that would be a very good bluing trick if it works.
Will do.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:28 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Another trick supposedly that works, that when all of the carding is done; use old, used car engine oil to coat the metal for a day. evidently you don't want to use new oil, as it has detergents and additives in it, that prohibits rust..... So old engine oil from a crankcase is used.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:40 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Haven’t done any in years but when using the good stuff Waupkon Bay blueing, we had best luck with media blasting with 180 grit or finer. Soda blasting would work very well too. Thorough degreasing is the only way we had really good success with. Lower humidity in winter months doesn’t help either. For that we built sweat boxes to either run steam through or summer humidity a humid well tank area.

The barrels and actions we did held up very well on competition muzzle loaders. A hot blued barrel that was well done, would wear through from loading bench wear. One weekend. Ten years of same hard every weekend use would do little to rust blueing.

Last edited by W8LON; 02-22-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:09 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W8LON View Post
Havenít done any in years but when using the good stuff Waupkon Bay blueing, we had best luck with media blasting with 180 grit or finer. Soda blasting would work very well too. Thorough degreasing is the only way we had really good success with. Lower humidity in winter months doesnít help either. For that we built sweat boxes to either run steam through or summer humidity a humid well tank area.
The barrels and actions we did held up very well on competition muzzle loaders. A hot blues barrel that was well done would wear through from loading bench wear. Ten years of same hard every weekend use would do little to rust blueing.
Yep, been using a home made sweat box, that works very well....

I did another cycle, and though the spotting got better, i'm tired of playing with this receiver. I sanded down the receiver to 220 grit, applied the first coat of pilkington's, and will re-coat in an hour. than it's into the humidity box. this should help, but if it's still spotty, i just might leave it as is and finish the rifle.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:19 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don’t have any examples at the moment but a small Harbor Freight Soda blaster using Arm & Hammer carpet cleaner as media leaves a very nice finish. On a humid day you have rust starting in open air in just a few minutes. A nice consistent finish.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:47 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
I donít have any examples at the moment but a small Harbor Freight Soda blaster using Arm & Hammer carpet cleaner as media leaves a very nice finish. On a humid day you have rust starting in open air in just a few minutes. A nice consistent finish.
May have to look into getting one.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:31 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a ten pound soda blaster years ago at Harbor Freight for around $40. Doesn’t require nearly as much CFM of pressure as sand blaster and 40psi output feeds well. So many uses, auto body touch ups, carb cleaning, and final matte finish on aluminum with no mess left on driveway, just hose it down when done.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:34 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
I bought a ten pound soda blaster years ago at Harbor Freight for around $40. Doesnít require nearly as much CFM of pressure as sand blaster and 40psi output feeds well. So many uses, auto body touch ups, carb cleaning, and final matte finish on aluminum with no mess left on driveway, just hose it down when done.
Sounds like a winner.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:27 PM
Kilerham

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Turtle wax everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk