Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Which .17 Hmr will shoot less than 1" @ 100 yds

18K views 73 replies 49 participants last post by  Nick7274 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a new 17 Hmr hunting rifle that can shoot less than 1" at 100 yds. I understand every rifle prefers a certain ammo but which rifle can group well without weighing like a tank?

#8 ·
For a "hunting rifle", I'd be less worried about groups, and more worried about cold bore shots.

My CZ 455 American will hit whatever critter I aim at, at 100 yards, every time. At 50 yards, it's not head shots, it's eyeballs. My CZ 455 FS does it as well, but I have less scope on it, so it's harder at distance.

#9 ·
My CZ 457 Varmint (heavy barrel) shoots 1" groups at 100 yards. It seems to prefer CCI V-Max ammo but Federal and Hornandy did fine too.

It also has the finest stock trigger I have ever shot. Easy to adjust and very crisp. Mine is set at 1.5 lbs.

Finally, the walnut wood stocks are beautiful and classic.

I would deem this a "medium" weight rifle. Not super heavy but not as light as a cheap plastic stock rifle with a thin barrel.

#10 ·
My Marlin 917VS will do 1" groups with no problem off a bench as long as I'm using 17 gr. ammo and it's scope didn't cost more than the rifle. It did it with the stock trigger and now it does easier with a RifleBasix replacement.

My Contender G2 will do the same with 20 gr. HP ammo. It's scope is more expensive than the one on the Marlin but still didn't exceed the cost of the rifle.

#12 ·
I think most 17HMR rifles are capable of shooting less that 1" @100 yards. For all the negatively the 17HMR cartridge gets it is still a very accurate round out to 100 yards. The problem isn't accuracy, it's the consistency of available ammo. I know my CZ 452 Varmint .17HMR will shoot 1/2" @100 yards fairly easily.

#14 · (Edited)
Which .17 Hmr will shoot less than 1" @ 100 yds

All of them, none of them.
Results are dependent on y'er ammo quality.

I understand every rifle prefers a certain ammo

Maybe...consider the fact that only 2 companies manufacture 17 hmr cartridges.
CCI and Winchester, no one else no matter what you read on the label.
Results will depend on the quality of the ammo as it comes off the CCI or Winchester production lines.
Some batches do well, some are less than satisfactory.
Doesn't matter if the label reads Federal or Norma or Remington or Hornady,
they all are made by CCI. If the label reads Browning it's made by Winchester.

#19 ·
I was sure that my 17hmr was more accurate than my 22’s. 100y is a different result for me than 50y. .25”@50y may be 1.25” @100y. Not sure if is ammo, wind, or me. Regardless 1 MOA with a 17hmr @100y is not a slam dunk. I am fairly sure that my 22lr sporterrs with proven ammo will consistently out perform my 17hmr at 100y.

#21 ·
My Anschutz 1517 MPR will shoot under 1" groups at 100 yds.....sometimes and sometimes not. Depending on me, the shooting conditions, and the ammo I happen to be shooting. It is very close to 1" + or - almost every time. best HMR I've ever owned or shot. Had a Ruger 77/17 that would heat up and groups could grow to 2-3 inches at 100. My Sako is close to the Annie, but not quite as good, which I think is my fault. It is a sport barrel and much lighter than the heavy barreled Annie and I jist don't shoot it that well....good but not great. I think it is capable of <1" more consistently than I am. Ya gotta have a good rifle to start; then it's up to you and the ammo.

#29 · (Edited)
Simple rule of thumb...not exact but close enough.

Double the distance from muzzle to target, will produce triple the spread.

1/4 inch at 25 yards, expect 3/4 inch at 50 yards and 2-1/4 at 100 yards.

Works better in reverse, half the distance produces a third the spread.

9 inches at 200 yards, expect 3 inches at 100 yards, 1 inch at 50 yards and 1/3 inch at 25 yards.

The causes are mv differences, cartridge defects, wind and time of flight.

#30 ·
My experience at 100 yards with the .17 HMR.

My experience with the .17 HMR at 100 yards comes mostly from egg shoot matches. The eggs are out at 100 yards. There is only one wind flag and that is at the 100 yard line, so really no help as wind close to your bench matters more than wind at the target. We were restricted to 9x scopes. I broke a few perfect 15 eggs for 15 shots. I failed to more times though. And there was a shooter who always seemed to get the bench closest to the barrier berm running the 100 yards who had a Savage and he would beat me almost every match. Wind will move the bullet around. Good ammo, plenty of wind flags and knowledge as to how to use them along with the skills to yank the trigger when right will bring results. My rifle is a Ruger 77/17 which was given an accuracy job by Randy at Connecticut Precision.

#38 ·
One hole groups at 100 yards.....:confused:.....are you saying it does this with regularity? Are you shooting 2 or 3 shot groups? Regardless, I'd have a photo of that one for sure.

Remember, we are talking about a .17 caliber bullet that makes very small holes. I'm not saying it didn't happen but I'd have to see it to believe it.

What would sound better and is probably true would be to say, " my 453 shot a one hole group once at 100 yards, I know it was pure luck but theoretically it does have the ability to do that. However this is not the norm for this rifle".

Always remember, I'm just here to help out. :D

Based on some of my targets shot at 55 yards, I may have a shot at shooting 1" or less groups at 100 yards.

Tikka T1x.

Anschutz 1717, I'm still working with this one.

#32 ·
Its the ammo

Most of the heavy barreled 17's will shoot well and some will shoot 1" @ 100 yds. I have found that the biggest variable is the ammo and it all shoots differently. I have tried it all and I never wasted time weighing any of it. I settled on Hornady ammo in mine although it sometimes let me down but then sometimes I let myself down shooting too. But when shooting sage rats out to 100 yds or so it is plenty accurate enough. Otherwise, get a center fire rifle caliber like I did. My custom 6BR is lights out on sage rats to 400 yds if the wind cooperates. Heck, get one of each and you are set.

#33 ·
Had three 17 hmrs.
Savage with heavier barrel.
Marlin with lighter barrel.
Marlin with heavier barrel.
Savage 93r17 with heavy barrel shot terrific.
Marlin with heavy barrel I had would shoot around corners. Tried all available 17 ammo.

Yep that one savage was a real shooter. Sold it to neighbor. Should have kept it.
One demo 3 round group I did at 100 yArds and he bought quickly- 12 years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.