1958 american accents - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:12 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
1958 american accents

I found this interesting for the differences that are less apparent or not apparent at all now.

Miss Gwaltny's pronunciation at 20:31 in "about the house" was one I hadn't noticed in the US, and I hadn't associated it with Virginia at all. Her mannerisms also suggest relentless cotillion training.

The social differences are also interesting. The woman from Boston looks as if she dressed for church. The younger girls all dressed in a manner we might call non-casual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ZNnlYvXw0&t=624s
Old 10-29-2020, 12:44 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (134)
My father was in the Navy and stationed in Newport News during the late 1930's. From what he related, "about the house" would have sounded like "a-boot the hoose".
Old 10-29-2020, 01:41 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I get where different accents are a throwback to the country of origin but where in the hades did all y'all get your deep suthun drawls? Al wondered to himself in perfect yankee English.
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2020, 02:11 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
I get where different accents are a throwback to the country of origin but where in the hades did all y'all get your deep suthun drawls? Al wondered to himself in perfect yankee English.
Scots-Irish mixed with ye olde English and then simmered for a couple hundred years Al.

Just like the Yoopanese spoken in your neck of the woods. A homogenization of Finnish, French-Canadian, German, and native American.

I remember my mom, a fluent French speaker taking us kids to the Expo in Montreal in 1967. She had a very difficult time understanding Canadian French because the accent is so heavy.

Linguistics are very interesting!

Frank
Old 10-29-2020, 02:18 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
Scots-Irish mixed with ye olde English and then simmered for a couple hundred years Al.

Just like the Yoopanese spoken in your neck of the woods. A homogenization of Finnish, French-Canadian, German, and native American.

I remember my mom, a fluent French speaker taking us kids to the Expo in Montreal in 1967. She had a very difficult time understanding Canadian French because the accent is so heavy.

Linguistics are very interesting!

Frank
Canadian French doesn't exist, as far as I can tell. There is Canadian English, which is pretty understandable, and then there's Quebecois which is a very distant relation to French. Kind of like Chaucer's English vs our modern English.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canadian CSI.jpg (60.7 KB, 76 views)

Old 10-29-2020, 02:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
We yankees aren't always the best at evaluating southern accents. I've seen video of english speaker from the UK and from eastern seaboard southerners along side one another. The cadence is slightly different but the vowel sounds are very similar. A really nice southern accent is close to a UK RP accent.

I've even heard that "ain't" was an element of widely accepted english several centuries ago.

As to miss Gwaltney and "about the house", I'm hearing "abeyt the heys" which I associate with one sort of irish accent.

Last edited by zukiphile; 10-29-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:03 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My favorite accent lately is the one that comes out of my Kia!
Old 10-30-2020, 09:33 AM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Having grown up in Michigan (GR) I thought we were fairly well off as far as having no accent. When we moved to the east coast we saw posters in one of the grocery stores looking for a girl who was a run away from Michigan. One of the features in describing her was that she had a distinct Michigan accent. My wife and I looked at each other and almost at the same time asked "what is a distinct Michigan accent? " It wasn't until we lived out here that that I realized we used different words and phrases than the rest of the state's.

Last edited by Indigo22; 11-02-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:59 AM
Eagle0199
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In Louisiana we consider our southern accents as normal and everyone else outside the South as speaking an uncouth form of english. There are exceptions: In the southern/cajun parts of the state there is a definite trend toward a french accent with one other exception: Native New Orleans speakers sound like they have been imported from Boston.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:50 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo22
Having grown up in Michigan (GR) I thought we were fairly well off as far as having no acc[e]nt.
I knew a few guys from Michigan in school. It wasn't so much that their accents differed from my own great lakes accent as their complete refusal to speak clearly. Their consonants all came out as Bs, Ns and Ds. You could ask them to repeat, but they'd just give you the same sounds over again.

The great lakes accent is close enough to newscaster english that we can imagine we are accent free. I find most versions of that accent more rhotal than necessary.

Eagle, I think most southern speakers are aware that they speak with an accent because TV presents such a different accent as the standard, and uses some variation of southern as a short hand for unfortunate personal traits. It's probably the most embedded and least widely recognized prejudice we have.