Ultimate Scope - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-23-2020, 01:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)

Hunting wasn't mentioned in the original question so I'm not sure why so many people jumped to that conclusion. Given the versatility of the .22LR I think some additional parameters would be appropriate.
Make mine a 2-50X, 11" long and 11 oz. available with a good selection of reticles and superb light gathering capabilities.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:51 PM
aarondhgraham
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've seen the term side-focus a lot,,,

I've seen the term side-focus a lot in this thread,,,
I understand that to be the knob on the left used for critical focus.

My question is this:

Does that automatically set the parallax for the distance you focus on?

Aarond

Old 10-23-2020, 05:04 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ultimate Scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham View Post

My question is this:

Aarond

Parallax adjustment brings the reticle and image into the same plan. most fixed parallax scopes, are set at 100yards. an adjustable parallax can be set at the distance of the image, to bring the reticle and image into the same plan, so both are focused together. try closing one eye, hold one hand in front of your face close, and your other hand outstretched, both hands aligned. now move your head side to side. your hands appear to move. this is parallax. now bring your outstretched hand together, close to your face. move your head side to side. your hands dont appear to move. this is brings the image and reticle into the same plan or parallax adjusted. does this help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Technician1; 10-23-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2020, 05:51 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham View Post

My question is this:

Aarond

On most scopes the numbers aren't exactly right for the distance they say and some are way off. I never look at the numbers when adjusting my parallax. I just look through the scope at whatever target I am going to shoot at and turn the knob until it is in clear focus. Then I move my head side to side about 1/8". If the reticle is still moving on the target when I move my head then I fine tune adjust it until it isn't. This is all done in a few seconds. There's lots of good threads here that explain parallax and how parallax adjustable (AO/SF) scopes work.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:15 AM
Flier

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOpticZone View Post
Maybe lets change the questions.

Ultimate hunting scope?

Ultimate Target/competition scope?

I should add. Not knocking them or anything, but Athlon is a huge seller for us and majority of them are manufactured in China. I guess the majority do not think the same way. I do not see us manufacturing any of our scopes other than Japan.
Target Scopes
I'm on the same page as others who have posted. Rimfire target matches can be anything from benchrest to Field Rifle to 3P to metallic silhouette and a bunch of other disciplines, but most have a few things in common.

Range: 25-110 yards (100m) – so we need a scope that can focus down to 25y at least, and that has enough magnification to satisfy offhand and supported shooters alike, which I would suggest is around 4-6 on the low end and at least 16x on the high end, but preferably 20x up to 24x.

Weight: Many rimfire matches have weight limits, so the scope needs to be reasonably lightweight, which means 1" tube, reasonably compact and 40-44mm objective.

Focus: As above, down to at least 25y. Side focus would be my preference as it's easier to adjust in-between rounds and at longer distances (where you need to support your rifle as you look through the scope to adjust the parallax/focal length).

Brightness: Most target matches are not shot in low light, so we can get away with a 40mm objective etc, but a slightly larger objective often means a better eyebox and slightly better overall clarity, as many mid-range lenses tend to be sharp in the middle but sometimes soft around the edges, so a 42mm or 44mm would still be nice. A 44mm objective lets in 20% more light than a 40mm with little weight or size penalty.

Clarity: Clear glass can make up for lack of magnifiaction range. A sharp 16x scope is better than a soft 20x scope – especially when you are behind the scope for long periods of time. Cheap glass will give you eye-strain and a headache by the end of the day.

Decent retilces: This is where some scopes that fit all the above criteria are often let down by a thick or busy reticle. Many target shooters have a preference for a fine duplex or floating dot, or even a fine Chritsmas tree/varmint style reticle that doesn't obscure the X ring too much. And it must also be SFP for that reason.

Bare minimum: 25y side focus; under 18oz (500g), 5-20x range; 40-44mm objective; clear glass; fine reticle.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:19 AM
Flier

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Of course, I have just described most of the old Weaver Grand Slam range
Old 10-25-2020, 10:12 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
4-24x44 IL duplex, side focus down to 20 yds, not made in China.

Belay the above please Jon. Change it to a 1" tube, 5-30x44 IL fine duplex w dot, SF down to 20yds, no Chinese glass. I'd compromise to a 30mm tube if necessary.

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 10-29-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:30 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (260)
I have three 30mm tube scopes -- a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 SF that currently sits atop a CZ527 American in .223, a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 SF and a Leupold VX-6 3-18x44 SF w/illuminated Dot in a Fine Duplex. The latter two are sitting on my closet shelf. All three are great scopes optically, but I find them too dang big and heavy for a .22 Rimfire rifle. My two favorite scopes are the Leupold VX-2 6-18x40 AO Fine Duplex (have 14, I think?) and the Bushnell Elite 4500 6-24x40 SF Duplex (have six). The latter two will do everything I want from a rimfire scope out to 100 yards and beyond. They have great optics, with reliable adjustments, and do not overwhelm a .22 rifle. I have many lower power scopes (mostly Leupold VX-2s and VX-3s) as well for my Brnos and CZ FS rifles. I know "tactical" has somehow overtaken over the market with large, heavy 30mm tubes and crazy reticles. Just hoping that sanity may someday (soon?) return for us rimfire enthusiasts. I can dream...

Doug
Old 10-25-2020, 06:43 PM
DavidABQ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
Ultimate "hunting" scope. Leupold, already has one about 95% ready! Just put a side focus on it that will go down to 25 yards and add an option of a 3/8 dot! 6.5x-20x EFR!
Yep, that scope is just bout perfect. It also works quite well for Silhoutte competitions too!
Old 10-27-2020, 12:40 AM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
March just released my ultimate scope... except the price.

https://www.eurooptic.com/March-Tactical-15x-15x42-MTR-5-Reticle-1-4MOA-Illuminated-Riflescope-D15V42TI-MT.aspx

Might need to pick up another couple winter jobs for one.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:45 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Those March scopes are sweet. I like the 2.5-24 models.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:11 AM
staggofdryvalley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
a non fussy eye box , critical head position is a deal breaker in a hunting scope, and
while your at it 4+" eye relief 5" better for quick shots and short armed wives

metal knurled knobs and rotating parts , no plastic or rubberized parts .

a finish worthy of the price your asking for the scope that doesn't scratch easily.

if you get that far for less than $300 for a hunting / backyard target scope you got me interested .

a 2-7 or 3-9 is by far the best rimfire mag range for hunting but backyard target shooting is a lot more interesting @ 16-20x for 50 yards anyway . so for those where hunting is primary a 2-12 , casual target 4-16 " I like a 5-20 as well "
any rimfire scope over 9X should have a side focus down to 10 yds .

like doug said I think the Bushnell 4500 6-24 is very much overlooked scope if I didn't like it so well on my 204 ! very compact unit , easy to use .

I love a bdc 600 style crosshair with fine lines and have learned I can use them even at rimfire ranges for holdovers target shooting , I don't know why the rimfire ranges couldn't be adapted by starting at 40 yards , however a circle dot /crosshair aims quickly for me I like them for hunting .
Old 10-29-2020, 09:17 AM
cnelson181
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
90% (9)
For the Ultimate scope:

Hunting/pinking
- 1”
- 4-16x or 3-15x
- 40 or 42 mm
- Standard duplex, German #4, or Standard duplex/dot. Center illumination would be nice, but would push weight and price too high.
- Side Focus down to a minimum of 25yds
- kick arse glass/coatings
- preferably not made in China
- reset to zero, low profile turrets/knobs
- either supplied or tested and advised, properly fitted flip scope covers.
- price point of $600 or less. Preferably south of $500, you’ll sell a ton if you can get it below $400!

Ultimate Target scope:
- 6.5-20x as a minimum, would like to see 5-25 or 6-24x. I worry that 5x or 6x power will push the price away from the majority of shooters.
- 1” but would accept 30mm, allowing more adjustment on optic.
- I really like the old Weaver Varminter reticle for target shooting
- and all the rest from above.

Craig...
Old 10-29-2020, 01:36 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post

Belay the above please Jon. Change it to a 1" tube, 5-30x44 IL fine duplex w dot, SF down to 20yds, no Chinese glass. I'd compromise to a 30mm tube and 50mm obj. if necessary.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:04 PM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

Belay the above please Jon. Change it to a 1" tube, 5-30x44 IL fine duplex w dot, SF down to 20yds, no Chinese glass. I'd compromise to a 30mm tube if necessary.
Quote:
Belay the above please Jon. Change it to a 1" tube, 5-30x44 IL fine duplex w dot, SF down to 20yds, no Chinese glass. I'd compromise to a 30mm tube and 50mm obj. if necessary.
So, is this the final specs for the ultimate scope, or do we still have time to add our desires?

I want:
1) the company that will sell it to give us a FIRM date that it will be ready for shipment.
2) I want a FIRM price under $200,,,