Ultimate Scope - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:29 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (260)

Two factors I failed to mention are a lifetime, no-questions-asked warranty, and a maximum price tag of $500 to $600.

Doug
Old 10-22-2020, 02:34 PM
Lerrab
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with the $500-$600 price tag. I think Leupold's excellent 6.5x20x is proof that $750 is going to price some folks out of the market! If that scope cost $550 new, their sales on it would sky rocket!
Old 10-22-2020, 03:24 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
I am not going to shoot something in front of my boot, it ain't sporting..
The last deer I whacked was a doe fawn @ 7 paces. I have big feet.
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2020, 04:01 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
I think a side focus that goes down to about 20 yards and a objective around 40-44 MM, with a power range of 8x-20x, and a nice 3/8 dot or fine duplex would do well on the market.
Everyone has their own individual opinion of what a perfect scope would be understandably. But if you were going to have something with 20 on the high end why not go with 4 or 5 on the low end? Plus if you were to go with a min of 8 you would have to have 24 or 32 on the high end. Scope magnification works in multiples.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:11 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I don't need anything lower than 8X but I am not against it. I doubt if most people use the 4x on their 4x-16x much or if they did it was out of necessity. I kinda thought without such a large range of Magnification things may be easier on the manufacturer's part also.I never really thought much about the multiples thing. I guess Leupold's 2x-7x and their 2.5x -8X threw me off a bit.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Well, I don't need anything lower than 8X but I am not against it. I doubt if most people use the 4x on their 4x-16x much or if they did it was out of necessity. I kinda thought without such a large range of Magnification things may be easier on the manufacturer's part also.I never really thought much about the multiples thing. I guess Leupold's 2x-7x and their 2.5x -8X threw me off a bit.
The 2-7 and 2.5-8 are actually more like 2.3-7 and 2.5-7.5. But I guess those numbers don't look as good on the box. I get that you may not use the lower magnification that much but I think most people if they had a choice of a 4-20 or an 8-20 would prefer the 4-20. Especially if your going to use it for hunting where the wider fov could be beneficial.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:38 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I understand your thinking. But I think most people only shoot stationary animals while hunting with a rimfire. It is not hard to pick up something in an 8x FOV for most, I think! As far as following moving game to keep an eye on it, I think most will find that with their head up and eyes slightly above the scope looking over the scope and then head down and eye through the scope when the game stops will be vastly superior to the FOV presented by a 4x scope. But hey, we all don't do it the same . Go ahead and make mine a 4x on the low end, I won't use it but it won't be eating anything!
Old 10-22-2020, 05:40 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
Foul weather with rain, snow, fog etc? Lower power is your friend. Sounds like western Oregon hunting!
Old 10-22-2020, 06:04 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TheopticZone, I think you should have a pretty clear picture as of now, but I don't want to dis-courage more input! I think a clear winner has emerged. 42 mm objective, side focus to 10 yards, front half of tube from turrents forward 30 mm second half, 1" tube. 2x-30x , some sort of Christmas tree reticle that with a flip of a switch on the eyepiece will raise the Christmas tree and replace it with a fine duplex. Front half will probably have to be matte and the back half gloss! I think we can all agree on second focal plane, maybe! -- I think I hit on why Leupold said the heck with it, I will just get on the government teet! Kind of like renting Hud housing as a friend of mine does, guaranteed taxpayer money!

Last edited by Lerrab; 10-22-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:51 PM
TheOpticZone
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
TheopticZone, I think you should have a pretty clear picture as of now, but I don't want to dis-courage more input! I think a clear winner has emerged. 42 mm objective, side focus to 10 yards, front half of tube from turrents forward 30 mm second half, 1" tube. 2x-30x , some sort of Christmas tree reticle that with a flip of a switch on the eyepiece will raise the Christmas tree and replace it with a fine duplex. Front half will probably have to be matte and the back half gloss! I think we can all agree on second focal plane, maybe! -- I think I hit on why Leupold said the heck with it, I will just get on the government teet! Kind of like renting Hud housing as a friend of mine does, guaranteed taxpayer money!
Good One!! Had to laugh out loud on that one.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:19 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Honest question, the market is absolutely stuffed with scopes all made somewhere else marketed with a us name and company face. Innovation is incremental and the attrition seems to be high.

Set an arbitrary price ceiling and feature set and someone somewhere will have 85% match with a better warranty and a team of tatted bearded brand ambassadors. The 12 people will get online and rag on how it's to expensive or to heavy or they couldn't club seals with it without losing zero.

As schtick as the above posters quite humorous list is, the market is close to whatever is selling now. As a retailer you certainly see what goes out the door vs what comes back.

My last 3 rimfire scopes for hunting were
vx-5 hs 3-15 had
Vx-6hd 2-12
Vx-r 2-7 nos and was stoked to find

Like them all but wish the 2-7 was updated with a wider range erector, and the 2-12 had parallax adjustment.

My next scope purchases will be to outfit a 17 wsm, and around January a rimx/vudoo/bergara/curtis type 22. Likely need turret twisting capacity on that one.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:51 AM
Technician1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Really like the trijicon accupoint, wish i could responsibly afford one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2020, 11:48 AM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not sure why some here feel that a 22 rifle needs to have a 1" scope tube and that 30 mm is to big. I think it depends on the rifle and stock. With a small rifle it may not be appropriate,but on a full size rifle there is nothing wrong with a 30 mm main tube. If you find a scope that works for you. One size does not fit all.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:07 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with your last statement. Make mine a 1" tube.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:23 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersharp View Post
I'm not sure why some here feel that a 22 rifle needs to have a 1" scope tube and that 30 mm is to big. I think it depends on the rifle and stock. With a small rifle it may not be appropriate,but on a full size rifle there is nothing wrong with a 30 mm main tube. If you find a scope that works for you. One size does not fit all.
I agree, for me it really depends on which rifle it's going on. Also some 30mm scopes are quite a bit larger than others. I do prefer a 1" tube but I also have a few 30mm mounted on my rimfire's that IMO look perfectly fine. I also have no problem with a 50mm objective. All my GS 5-20 scopes are 50mm, although they do have a 1" tube.