Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:57 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
Ultimate "hunting" scope. Leupold, already has one about 95% ready! Just put a side focus on it that will go down to 25 yards and add an option of a 3/8 dot! 6.5x-20x EFR!
I've got one, and a VX-2 6-18X40. Both are nice, but the problem with both is the 40mm objective is too small to make full use of the magnification. You can see them start to get dark as you roll in the power.

I'd like to see Leupold make a 4-16X44 with a 30mm tube and side focus adjustable down to 25 yards or less and CDS-style externally adjustable dials...the ones with the zero lock. For a reticle, I like to keep it simple. A fine duplex would be good.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:59 AM
Lerrab
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mike AK, I could live with that. The bigger objective wouldn't make it a bigger bell considering the AO ring would be gone! A 30mm tube would only allow a larger erector system , which I never found necessary . I like to keep it simple as well, one reticle. Most of my scopes have a duplex, can't get a good dot installed anymore to my knowledge!
Old 10-22-2020, 07:31 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
Weaver Super Slam w/Varmint EBX reticle w/illuminated 1/8 dot and a 4-32 magnification.
Nick sir your killing me what a great thing that would be.

Signalman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2020, 07:55 AM
Dranrab
US Coast Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOpticZone View Post
If you were able to build the ultimate rimfire scope, what would it consist of?
Are we talking a target/competition or hunting scope?

Irrespective of which, if it is the "ultimate" it cannot be made in China. I will not buy a Chinese scope, and more and more shooters have the same mindset.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:19 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Mike_AK a Leupold in 4-16x would be a dream with an LRV reticle.

Signalman
Old 10-22-2020, 09:09 AM
TheOpticZone
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab View Post
Are we talking a target/competition or hunting scope?

Irrespective of which, if it is the "ultimate" it cannot be made in China. I will not buy a Chinese scope, and more and more shooters have the same mindset.
Maybe lets change the questions.

Ultimate hunting scope?

Ultimate Target/competition scope?

I should add. Not knocking them or anything, but Athlon is a huge seller for us and majority of them are manufactured in China. I guess the majority do not think the same way. I do not see us manufacturing any of our scopes other than Japan.

Last edited by TheOpticZone; 10-22-2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:36 AM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am not a hunter so the weight of the scope doesn't matter for me. I primarily target shoot and found the best scope for me is the Vortex Viper PST Gen II with EBR reticle 5-2550 . Great glass for the money .This scope sure works for me .
Old 10-22-2020, 09:40 AM
TheOpticZone
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Guys I am looking to see what features you would like in each scope, not what current scope you like.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:16 AM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
I've got one, and a VX-2 6-18X40. Both are nice, but the problem with both is the 40mm objective is too small to make full use of the magnification. You can see them start to get dark as you roll in the power.

I'd like to see Leupold make a 4-16X44 with a 30mm tube and side focus adjustable down to 25 yards or less and CDS-style externally adjustable dials...the ones with the zero lock. For a reticle, I like to keep it simple. A fine duplex would be good.
I've never owned or looked through a 6.5-20 EFR but do have a 6.5-20 side focus, 30mm tube with a 40mm objective on my 22-250 and it's clear and bright through out magnification range.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:30 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOpticZone View Post
Guys I am looking to see what features you would like in each scope, not what current scope you like.
Well if you look at the features of the scopes that people are bringing up it should give you a pretty good idea of what people like. From reading these posts it seems most people would like a 1" tube with side focus down to around 10 yards, nice clear glass throughout the magnification range, and a good target reticle. Magnification range is subjective. Most target shooters like as much magnification as they can get while hunters for the most part prefer something around the 4-16 range. A 4.5-27 could be a good compromise if one were trying to fit everything in a single scope. Plenty of internal adjustment and repeatable tracking is important also. Then put all that together with a price tag under $500 and I think it would be pretty popular providing it was done right.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:34 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
Mike AK, I could live with that. The bigger objective wouldn't make it a bigger bell considering the AO ring would be gone! A 30mm tube would only allow a larger erector system , which I never found necessary . I like to keep it simple as well, one reticle. Most of my scopes have a duplex, can't get a good dot installed anymore to my knowledge!
The erectors are typically the same size. The larger tube just allows a greater range of adjustment, and can be made lighter for the same strength compared to a 1" tube due to the added stiffness.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As a hunter/pest shooter one of my absolute favorite scopes I've used is the Athlon Midas Tac 4-16x44 MIL scope. While being a tad on the long side it's got everything I want in a scope. Excellent glass and turrets with a 10yd side focus that snaps in and out of focus very very well. Perfect reticle also. But that's on my airgun currently. My .22lr Tikka T1X has an Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 6-24x50 which I also greatly enjoy.

I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers here also but I can't stand a duplex reticle. You essentially have one aim point and that's it. Everything is just guessing besides your zero distance. But I also come from the airgunning world which make .22lr BCs vastly superior to pellet BCs. So having a good useable reticle is absolutely necessary. Now if only shooting one fixed distance at paper yeah I can see a duplex working just fine but for hunting and shooting at multiple distances I just can't like a duplex.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:19 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, the only real advantage I could see in a 30mm is the diff. in what the erector system could do. Which is what I was referring to that wasn't necessary. Never ran out of adjustment in a scope shooting rimfire . I understand that stiffness increases with diameter but to reduce weight wouldn't the tube walls have to be made thinner?
Old 10-22-2020, 02:23 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (260)
Here's the list for target and/or hunting scope:

1" tube (30mm just adds too much weight and bulk for a rimfire scope)

At least 3-15X, but 4-16X or 6-18X even better (6-24x or even greater magnification are fine for 100 yard target shooting, but unnecessary for 50 yard shooting, though some folks really like them even there.)

Fine Duplex reticle (A few hash marks on the lower reticle arm to help in longer range holdover OK, but PLEASE NO reticles that look like a city street map!) -- SFP

42 or 44mm objective

AO or SF is OK, but must focus down to at least 25 yards and 10 to 15 yards, even better

No Chinese scopes may apply.

Scopes with 30mm tubes, huge objectives (>50mm) and complex reticles may be fine for "tactical" (whatever definition you like) or long-range shooting (>100 yards), but as you are asking in a rimfire forum, those categories are of very limited interest here (I think).

And a BIG THANK YOU for asking!!!

Doug
Old 10-22-2020, 02:26 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think a side focus that goes down to about 20 yards and a objective around 40-44 MM, with a power range of 8x-20x, and a nice 3/8 dot or fine duplex would do well on the market. Put more than one reticle in it, Count me out!( but perhaps as an option.) I may be in the minority around the globe on this so perhaps it wouldn't be a big loss! Doug, seems I was putting in my wish list as you were doing yours. I added 1' tube in my other post but forgot that here! ------- 1" tube, there, fixed it!

Last edited by Lerrab; 10-22-2020 at 02:30 PM.