Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:47 AM
TheOpticZone
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ultimate Scope

If you were able to build the ultimate rimfire scope, what would it consist of?
Old 10-21-2020, 12:17 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
All around? 4-16x with side focus, really good glass (good coatings, something most folks don't understand at all). 1/4 MOA adjustments with a reticle using MOA for its markings. Think Sightron S TAC in 4-16x with the MOA 2 reticle, which means dead on adjustment movements. YMMV
Old 10-21-2020, 12:29 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Vx-6hd 2-12 with side parallax down to 25.

It's 17 oz
Illuminated
Relatively compact

Just needs side focus and someone to move the power selector so it doesn't interfere with my bolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2020, 12:42 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Weaver Super Slam w/Varmint EBX reticle w/illuminated 1/8 dot and a 4-32◊ magnification.

Last edited by Nick7274; 10-21-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:00 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ultimate "hunting" scope. Leupold, already has one about 95% ready! Just put a side focus on it that will go down to 25 yards and add an option of a 3/8 dot! 6.5x-20x EFR!
Old 10-21-2020, 02:22 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
Ultimate "hunting" scope. Leupold, already has one about 95% ready! Just put a side focus on it that will go down to 25 yards and add an option of a 3/8 dot! 6.5x-20x EFR!
Genuine question, and not trying to be combative but what are you hunting with a rimfire that makes this mag range optimum?

6.5 is still a pretty tight fov, unless it's open prairie.

Saturday was a 9 mile hike for grouse, had the 2-12 zeroed from some tests last week. Jumped a couple with it on 2x and was grateful for the wide field of view.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:27 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have no problem finding anything in the 6.5 FOV. Stand a nickel out there on a stump and it will be in the field immediately when I look through the scope. This is not only me but millions of folks can do it as well, up close. I don't understand the open prairie part, the FOV is the same wherever! Unless you are talking about tracking and shooting jackrabbits or in you case flying grouse! Anywhere I hunt one must be careful of a house , church, some kind of dwelling , people doing whatever over the next hill not to speak of other hunters right there in the woods with you. I would find it extremely irresponsible and quite dangerous to shoot at running or flying small game with a rifle especially with a .22 LR, in this day and age. A lot of folks can't seem to hit a stationary squirrel in the head I could only guess what their success would be on a moving one! And If I crank it up to 20X ( that's about where it stays while I am squirrel hunting with the leaves off) and still, NO problem, target is right there! There are beginners that have issues, but with a little practice no-one should have a problem finding something in a Leupold scopes field of view at 20X. To tell you my personal opinion, It wouldn't bother me if Leupold only took it down to about 8X, I am not going to shoot something in front of my boot, it ain't sporting. Experienced squirrel hunters know they can stand under a tree and shoot squirrels over their heads with an 8x scope. I use 4x scopes and have for decades . My favorite Big game scope is Leupold's 2.5-8 and I owned several, I have recommended them on here. Been rimfire shooting squirrels for more than 50 years, started out with 4x scopes. I wouldn't think of calling a scope the ultimate rimfire hunting scope that didn't at least have 14-16x on the high end. 8x on the low end is fine and if some want lower I wouldn't mind I doubt if I would use it that low, wouldn't need to. And If someone wants more than 20x on the high end that's fine, but with the limited range of most rimfire hunting I find that 16x-20x does very well. FOV a non-issue, at least with me. Hope this helps .
Old 10-21-2020, 06:56 PM
Stumblinwolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
This should be good and thanks for asking our input. I would like it built relatively light and compact if itís strictly for rimfire purposes. This seems to be where Leupold has an edge. Magnification ? As far as squirrel/ varmint scope I suppose the magnification range is going to be a very subjective topic with folks. Perhaps really good glass may not make the high end magnification as critical ? Iím not real clear on the ultimate part of the equation...ultimate for hunting...for target shooting or more of a do all scope if their is such a thing ?
Old 10-21-2020, 07:38 PM
cnelson181
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
90% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
All around? 4-16x with side focus, really good glass (good coatings, something most folks don't understand at all). 1/4 MOA adjustments with a reticle using MOA for its markings. Think Sightron S TAC in 4-16x with the MOA 2 reticle, which means dead on adjustment movements. YMMV
This right here.

Only thing I’d do different is standard plex or German #4

Craig...
Old 10-21-2020, 09:44 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
FOV a non-issue, at least with me. Hope this helps .
Fair enough, definitely a regional difference. I hunt more than a few places where you couldn't see a church, house, or human with 25 power. Shots on game are fast in heavy brush, decision to take an animal is rather rapid they disappear into alders and black spruce quick. Probably should use a shotgun, but clearing a branch of grouse with a 17 is a lot more fun than with a 12 gauge.

Might also be an age deal, as well as demographic deal. My scopes from 15 years ago got dark and tunneled at higher power so the trend towards lower power dominated. Now my eyes appreciate a bit more, and my optics budget went up a decimal place so the glass is much better. Some glass definitely lends itself to both eye open quick acquisition, nightforce always surprises me how flat the image is. Compared to a crewman's Steiner military the glass isn't as clear, but the image has less edge to edge distortion.

Id love to see a trend towards smaller scopes, especially if every gun we buy will have a cattle guard strapped to the top of it and a bolt handle so darn big we need high rings. The old mark 4 scopes were perfect in exterior proportions, if they could be combined with a 4x or 5x erector it would be awesome.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:32 PM
kkd

TPC Rating: 
100% (63)
I have very simple needs...

For me, a remake of the Leupold AO 4.5-14 is just perfect for what I do

Mainly, pop prairie poodles at a Pal's ranch (in Komifornia)
Old 10-21-2020, 11:33 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The ultimate all around scope? For me it would be 4-30ish magnification, good glass, side focus down to 15 yards, clear at max X, 1" tube, 40mm objective, 1/8 moa adjustments, zero stop, generous eye relief and a reticle similar to the Leupold Varmint Hunter.

This would push all of my buttons, I'd pay $800 for this scope.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:49 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I really like my Vx 3i 4.5-14 in every way but if I was to change one thing it would be the max power. Going to an 18 or 20 power would make it even better.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:06 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grg View Post
I really like my Vx 3i 4.5-14 in every way but if I was to change one thing it would be the max power. Going to an 18 or 20 power would make it even better.
My one criticism of leupold that gets expressed whenever I'm in earshot of a rep is the unwillingness to extend the erector range of the lower trim models. The vx 6 was great, but super spendy. So they brought out the VX-5hd with the same features but less range for the same price as the 6 was. The vx-6hd got lenses caps and turrets we didn't need, and a 500$ price jump to boot. (I've all three in the same trims so upfront and personal experience)

The vx3, freedom, and lrp have erector ratios from a decade before I was born.

Vortex, athlon, burris, and many others have brought wider erectors to various budget and glass levels.

Problem is leupold has the exterior dimensions and weights that appeal to rimfire hunters. 2.5-8 vxiii, mark 4 2.5-8, and the vxr 2-7 are super compact. And the previously mentioned 4.5 to 14 is an awesome compact scope, can you imagine if it had a legitimate 4x erector?
Old 10-22-2020, 02:50 AM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
Something similar to the Leupold VX-2 4-12AO but side focus and 3-15X or 4-16X would be preferred. And USA or maybe Japan made.