Octoberber 2020 25 Yard Scoped CZ/BRNO Rimfire Benchrest Match - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:08 PM
Hicksville Kid
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelbark View Post
Hicksville and Hawkeye: I've been experimenting with different removable bedding material since I got into this Match a few years ago.
I thought of rubber, but it is too flexible and doesn't age well. It changes over time. I tried Aluminum Tape which works well for a while but again, the adhesive will change over time, especially if it gets hot.

So, ever the Science Major, I decided I needed a material that is waterproof, Heatproof, non-sticky, freezeproof and can be easily moved or removed.

I ended up cutting up a hard plastic expired insurance card (like a credit or debit card) and bedded the forward receiver and tang with it. It worked so well I did the exact same thing to my other 452. Both are still bedded with the card pieces and both still shoot the same with floated barrel. It has been three or four years now. So the stuff is holding up well.

Took all the Aluminum Tape out of my other rifles since I found this works better. Lots of stuff works when you first put it in. The trick is using something that won't change.

Whatever you use, choose a material that won't get soft in the Summer, crack in the Winter or soak up humidity and rust your rifle.
I might be missing something here, but the method espoused in the thread is placing a rubber damper on an existing floated barrel making it ďnon-floatingĒ. I think it damps natural vibrations. If I understand your method, it beds the receiver and does nothing to the floated barrel. Does the bedding change the natural vibrations of the barrel and thus improves accuracy? Iím just trying to understand what these methods do. Your method, much refined thru experimentation, seems straight forward and your results speak for themselves. Loudly. Iíd like to see a picture of the installation the next time you have one of your rifles apart. Thanks for your response.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:45 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
That's a good try Mike. Try to get him to take that rifle apart before he can post one of his normal match winning scores in hopes of it being just a little bit different when he puts it back together. You are sneaky.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:07 PM
Squirrelbark
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ahhg, Ha ha ha!

Still laughing at the suggestion that I take the stock off of either one of my 452's!
Unless something horrible happens, they will stay just the way they are and have been since 2017.

Hicksville, If it helps, here's the original process and later results from it. I just finished eating some of the results for supper.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=924945

When you have your stock off your American, you can see that the two places farthest forward is where I glued in the rectangular pieces of debit card plastic. The tang is the rearmost point of contact to the wood.

If I had known this was going to work so well I would have taken photos, but I was just trying stuff and got lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2020, 02:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
10/8/20
240-2X; 237-5X
tominboise
BRNO No 2, Leupie 3x9
Scissor jack front, Protektor rear
60 F, ~5 mph wind from behind

I shot two targets this AM, both with the same rifle but using SK Biathlon for one target and SK Pistol Match Special for the other target. I believe the PMS is the more accurate of the two based on some groups out of my rifle, even though the score is lower. The wind was picking up somewhat when I shot the PMS, but I did end up with a higher X count using it.

I believe this is the first time I have cracked the 240 mark - I felt good with the set up and the rifle in the bags, movement wise, and the the ammo made a significant difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oct bench.jpg (516.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Oct one.jpg (496.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg oct 2.jpg (501.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-08-2020, 05:13 PM
Squirrelbark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
tominboise: I am fortunate to have a somewhat sheltered from the wind place to shoot in my back yard woods. But it looks like wind is a major factor for you where you are shooting. I shot centerfire today (30-06) because the wind here was calm.

I don't even try to shoot a USBR Green Monster for this match unless the wind is down below 8 mph. This morning was less than 5 mph, but I have to get my deer rifles ready to go. Just remounted a scope on the 30-06 so I had a lot of work to do. I need to shoot it one more time before I'm confident it is ready for hunting.

On cold days now I squirrel hunt. On warm days I sight in new rifles and new scopes for deer hunting. But as soon as I'm sure I'm ready for deer then I will get back to this Match on low wind days. At least for October anyway. I don't remember if I ever posted a Match target for November. I will be pretty busy then.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:32 PM
Hicksville Kid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I took MY 453 Varmint apart so nobody else has to. Iíve read this thread and SBarks link to an old thread. Iím hopeful that I can confirm that the placement of the plastic card is correct. Iíve circled what I think the points should be. Wadda ya think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4B070256-BE96-44C0-B50F-1383BABFA23A.jpg (252.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-08-2020, 06:13 PM
Squirrelbark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasttombstone View Post
That's a good try Mike. Try to get him to take that rifle apart before he can post one of his normal match winning scores in hopes of it being just a little bit different when he puts it back together. You are sneaky.
He didn't know, Lee I hope every poor low-income guy like me can take a CZ American and do the debit card bedding and get the results I did. If they don't, they can take the stock off and throw out that plastic and try something else. No harm done.
If you have never tried it--you might be pleasantly surprised!
Old 10-08-2020, 06:21 PM
Squirrelbark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shouldn't tell you this Hicksville, but I like your moniker and I like the State you are from, it reminds me of someone we both know and love in this match. The plastic cut outs should go as far back toward the tang (behind the blue circle in your photo) and on both sides as far forward as you can put them (rectangular pieces cut to fit your stock). I think I used a tiny spot of superglue which is enough to hold them in place. But Loctite GO-To glue would probably work too. If it works like it did on mine, you will never want to take the stock off again. Both of my rifles are 452 Americans. If you have something different, then you are on the frontier cutting edge of science on your own. If you have an American, I am pretty sure this will only improve things. Shoot a lot before you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicksville Kid View Post
Well, I took MY 453 Varmint apart so nobody else has to. I’ve read this thread and SBarks link to an old thread. I’m hopeful that I can confirm that the placement of the plastic card is correct. I’ve circled what I think the points should be. Wadda ya think?
Old 10-08-2020, 07:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Tom...... congratulatons on your new personal high score. I'm sure you will continue to improve and the scores will continue to climb. Like Squirrelbark says, the wind isn't your friend so if you are shooting for score, save the ammo on windy days and just shoot the cheap stuff for fun.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
After all this talk about credit cards and rubber tubes I guess I'll have to pull mine down in January and see what's in there. Been a couple of years since I messed with it and I honestly can't remember what I did. So now I have a new excuse, maybe. January will tell.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:56 PM
Hicksville Kid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I did it. It took about an hour. I just hope itís done correctly. I used an old credit card and formed the pieces shown in the pictures. I didnít glue them in yet. They fit in exactly so I donít think they will shift. I used SBarks tightening suggestions to get it tight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00B40369-F0F6-4E35-991E-8AE92287E97F.jpg (485.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 99B898D0-BB5B-488B-87D1-626F0552D459.jpg (483.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg D0EBE27D-85D9-4F46-824F-8E8647B17CA3.jpg (424.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-09-2020, 03:16 PM
JerryP

TPC Rating: 
100% (111)
JerryP
242-8X
10-9-20
Cz457 MTR
Sightron 6-24 set at 9x
Seb Neo, Protektor rear bag
Eley Match
Sunny, 65 degrees, 2-3 mph wind
Old 10-09-2020, 09:40 PM
Squirrelbark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hicks, I like what you did. I did mine a little different in that I used two rectangular pieces in the front between the wood on both sides and the receiver. But what you have is good too. The girls must have loved you in Kindergarten because you know how to use a pair of scissors. I can't wait to see how it shoots for you. Quickest way to tell is to shoot a few 3-shot groups at 50 Yards. Do your very best 3-shot groups and then compare them to any previous 50 yard groups you have with your 453.

Oh, the first thing to check for is to see if your barrel is well floated after you put it all back together. Should be able to slide a card between wood and barrel all the way down to the chamber area before it touches anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicksville Kid View Post
Well, I did it. It took about an hour. I just hope it’s done correctly. I used an old credit card and formed the pieces shown in the pictures. I didn’t glue them in yet. They fit in exactly so I don’t think they will shift. I used SBarks tightening suggestions to get it tight.

Last edited by Squirrelbark; 10-09-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:32 PM
Hicksville Kid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After a few rainy days I finally got a chance to check out my ďexperimentĒ. I shot two ďGray MinisĒ because I didnít have much time. I first shot a few groups and they looked pretty good so I started my first 25. I wound up with a 233 2X. Not what I expected, to say the least. So I checked over everything from setup, to action screw torque. I found that the aft screw was not where I thought it should be. I loosened both and re-torqued to 30 in/lb., shot a few groups and then started a ďGray Mini.Ē It was great but I had to stop there. It will take a few more outings to really get a handle on the success or not of the mod but it looks promising today. Canít wait to get back to the range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EC7C3C98-BCFB-4684-A4B7-EA4CD02A3499.jpg (417.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-12-2020, 08:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Go back where you came from. We don't want your kind around here. LOL
Nice shooting