Ultimate Scope - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-03-2020, 06:41 PM
malice4you

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

I don't hunt. And I'm apparently one of those horrible, horrible people with the audacity of wanting 30 or even 34mm tube scopes on my rimfires and disliking 1" tube or glossy scopes. I also don't like sporter profile barrels, so I've alienated well over half the members here already.

My current "good" scopes are SWFA 16x42 milquads, and I enjoy them for the shooting I typically do, between 50 and 100 yards. I have rarely shot as close as 10-15 yards, and as far as 200 yards, though would love to extend out to 300+ eventually. I have been looking for a new scope, and want something with more power. My current pick is a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 for what it is worth.

I quite like the SWFA mil-quad reticle. Plenty of reference points for quick hold over and under, without being especially busy like many Christmas tree reticles are, with so many extra markings everywhere.

I’ve been wanting something 20x or higher in a FIXED power that is more tactical than many of the current fixed power scopes out there. I would absolutely hate a super fine duplex benchrest scope (because I have a few plain duplex scopes and already hate that reticle, plus most are MOA.) Pretty much I want a SWFA 20x “HD” or 24x “HD”. Since I have been unable to find anything like what I want, at least at any price I could justify, I expect that I’ll have to settle for a variable power scope which will spend 99.99999% of its life set to maximum magnification anyway.

So I guess my list:
High quality glass with excellent coatings
Fixed 20x to 30x power, or if a zoom, 7-10x on the lowest power, and 20-30x on the highest power setting
30+mm tube
Large objective 50+mm
Side parallax a plus, adjustable down to below 25 yards (ideally down to 10 yards)
Reasonably forgiving eyebox with decent eye relief
Well thought out MIL reticle similar to SWFA SS
MIL adjustments and exposed turrets
Reasonably large adjustment range
Highly prefer not made in China
Would like to see it under $900, and closer to $700 would be even better
Excellent warranty
Old 11-03-2020, 06:52 PM
Lerrab
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
malice, You sir, have as much right to post as anyone but I am glad my dear departed and saintly grandmother is not here to see such vulgarity. It would kill her all over again and the first time was blow enough! Once again you have as much right as anyone to post but I sure wish you would confine such things to brick walls of dark alleyways!

Last edited by Lerrab; 11-03-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:03 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Malice, the emphasis I put on hunting scopes was due to the last decade of emphasis on large heavy turreted bench and target scopes. Honestly dont see a huge gap in the 34mm tubed giant objective target scopes, it's the golden age of those with so many different brands and options the list is staggering. The solid hunting options are the nightforce shv, vx-5, and vortex hdlh until you jump to the 2k mark. Everything else is cookie cutter pac rim or 30 year old leupold designs.

Apparently the market is smaller than I'd hoped for hunting scopes, or the segment would be bigger.

As for high power fixed scopes that market is tiny. One of my favorite scopes is the fixed 10x from the brea California us optics, understand completely the love for fixies. With that said they flat out dont sell. Have a college buddy who started a small outdoor store that catered to stocking optics not usually stock in his area. His most sold fixed scope is the 4x and 2.5 ultralight leupolds, but sells less than 3 of each a year, compared to hundreds of 3-9 VX-3s, and thousands of variables. Swfa has the fixed market sewed up, occasionally a few German 6 and 8xs show up from time to time but never seems to sell in big numbers.

Will be interesting to see how many optics startups survive the next few years.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:19 AM
malice4you

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
malice, You sir, have as much right to post as anyone but I am glad my dear departed and saintly grandmother is not here to see such vulgarity. It would kill her all over again and the first time was blow enough! Once again you have as much right as anyone to post but I sure wish you would confine such things to brick walls of dark alleyways!
As someone once said to me, I *am* called Malice... That said, all apologies to your late grandmother, and any and all other relatives I may have offended with my audacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfisherman View Post
Malice, the emphasis I put on hunting scopes was due to the last decade of emphasis on large heavy turreted bench and target scopes. Honestly dont see a huge gap in the 34mm tubed giant objective target scopes, it's the golden age of those with so many different brands and options the list is staggering. The solid hunting options are the nightforce shv, vx-5, and vortex hdlh until you jump to the 2k mark. Everything else is cookie cutter pac rim or 30 year old leupold designs.

Apparently the market is smaller than I'd hoped for hunting scopes, or the segment would be bigger.

As for high power fixed scopes that market is tiny. One of my favorite scopes is the fixed 10x from the brea California us optics, understand completely the love for fixies. With that said they flat out dont sell. Have a college buddy who started a small outdoor store that catered to stocking optics not usually stock in his area. His most sold fixed scope is the 4x and 2.5 ultralight leupolds, but sells less than 3 of each a year, compared to hundreds of 3-9 VX-3s, and thousands of variables. Swfa has the fixed market sewed up, occasionally a few German 6 and 8xs show up from time to time but never seems to sell in big numbers.

Will be interesting to see how many optics startups survive the next few years.
Hunting is a very different beast than what I do, where I have to carry my 13.8lb Anschutz perhaps 150 feet on a bad day to get it to the bench where I will be shooting that day, typically at paper targets I designed myself to be a challenge for my skill level at a range of typically 50 or 100 yards. If I had to hunt with that rifle, I wouldn't want to go far, not to mention I'd never hit anything because finding what I'd like to hunt with that 16x on there would be a pain. So I do totally understand the want for a relatively low power, lightweight scope suited especially for hunting. I still wouldn't want a plain duplex if I had any interest in hunting (though a BDC reticle might satisfy me).

I also am curious of - out of all scoped rimfires - what percentage have scopes on them worth more than $100 or even $50? I'm guessing there are a lot of rifles wearing a Simmons 4x32 or 3-9x32 which work just fine for people. I am also curious how many owners of variable power scopes use their scopes below maximum magnification with any regularity, especially outside of hunters. Maybe there are a lot of people using every power of their scopes all the time, but the entire reason I started going fixed power scopes is that I pretty much never use them at anything except their maximum power. The fact the SWFAs are such nice scopes for the price doesn't hurt either.

Maybe I'm the only one who wants a fixed magnification scope with the specs I listed above, but it would certainly be an ultimate scope for me. I don't know that it would be a big seller, apparently not, though I've seen more than a few SWFAs out in the world, so I know some people are buying fixed power scopes. I do feel that a theoretical SWFA SS 24x56 "HD" or similar scope could be a respectable seller if it had features competitors and amateurs like myself wanted at a price that didn't restrict it to those who have won a lottery a few times. If I could find something like I described above near the price of the Strike Eagle 5-25x56, I'd much rather go fixed power.

None of it matters, as I doubt we are all getting one-off "ultimate" scopes sent to us by the OP.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:22 AM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On behalf of one of the finest southern ladies that ever lived,Apology, accepted!

Last edited by Lerrab; 11-04-2020 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:57 AM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I'm primarily a hunter, with favored rifles being of classic light sporter style, so big tubes, big objectives, big weight and big adjustment knobs are far from what I care about. The old Burris Mini 4-12x32mm AO was very close to what I'd consider my ultimate rimfire scope. The eye relief was longer than usual, with the consequences of a small field of view. Four inches of eye relief and FOV more in line with typical 4-12x scopes, their Ballistic Plex reticle and a "satin" finish, Burrises matte finishes were extremely flat/matte, and weight beneath 18 ounces.

A 3-12x32mm with side parallax adjustments would be cool too.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:10 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (108)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOpticZone View Post
Maybe lets change the questions.

Ultimate hunting scope?

Ultimate Target/competition scope?

I should add. Not knocking them or anything, but Athlon is a huge seller for us and majority of them are manufactured in China. I guess the majority do not think the same way. I do not see us manufacturing any of our scopes other than Japan.
I wont buy China scopes either, as to the ultimate scope..6-24 with capped target knobs, dot reticle, parallax down to 10 yards.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:18 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malice4you View Post
As someone once said to me, I *am* called Malice... That said, all apologies to your late grandmother, and any and all other relatives I may have offended with my audacity.
None of it matters, as I doubt we are all getting one-off "ultimate" scopes sent to us by the OP.
and I agree... some of the people all the time but not all of the people all the time.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (99)
Well, like usual, the OS is here to stir the dokey.Following are my criteria and opinions. They are based upon 55+ years of shooting, but they are just opinions.YMMV, and probably does.

Hunting Scope: 4.5-14X 30mm tube, AO or SF, focus down to 25 yards, 40 or 44mm objective. 1/4 MOA adjustments, chunky short exposed tactical style click turrets. Mil Dot or Christmas Tree reticle. Fully multicoated lenses.

Target Scope: (Not full bench rest). 8.5-25X AO, 44mm objective. EFR, 1/4 MOA adjustments, target click turrets with zero stop, fine crosshairs with 1/4 MOA center dot. Fully multcoated lenses.