Ruger 1237 finally got to the range....10 years later - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:47 AM
jim2527

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Update since my last post.

Mrs birthday clause got me a Lyman digital trigger gauge. The factory LVT 'target' trigger measured 3lb 15oz...so I went to work on it. I'm no expert on 10/22 triggers but noticed the sear and disconnect were stainless steel and of much better quality than pics of similar black pieces I've seen, they didn't need much work. The hammer was another story, it had deep horizontal tool marks and a little galling on the sear edge. I was able to clean 95% of it up but there's still a tick of horizontal tool marking. It came down to not wanting to remove too much metal. Knowing what I know now, if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably just buy one of the vendors 'drop-in' kits I'd guess it cost me $20 in sandpaper and about 6 hours of time. It now measures 2lb 10oz or so. The BX I bought measured 1lb 15oz before out of the box and has considerable better internals than the stock piece.

I exchanged the 2-7 rimfire scope and for a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 with 30 to infinity parallax, 80 moa of elevation adjustment and .15 moa reticle lines. It took awhile to get the scope zeroed in as I was changing bipod leg length and using different brands of ammo. I shot a few groups similar to the ones pictured. I stripped one the scope rail mount screws and have a picatinny with #8 screws waiting for install.

So here I am, still 100% 1237 parts....new scope, reworked 100% factory trigger and a rear bag. My next steps will be more practice and more practice. I'm going to shim up the original LVT trigger as well and try it one more time before switching to the BX.

Last edited by jim2527; 09-29-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:23 PM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2527 View Post
Played around with different ammo and take down screw torque settings. It seems to do fine at 15 in/lbs but was loose when I got home. Looks like a pillar and bedding in its future.

My skills need a lot of work, patience, breathing, trigger discipline...all of it. And I need a rear bag.

Ammo used was Winchester subsonic, CCI SV and RWS orange box. Pic is RWS @ 50 yds with screw at 15 in/lbs.

Thatís much better!!!
Old 10-06-2020, 05:03 PM
Nerostarr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Excellent shooting Jim and great work polishing up the trigger group. I have several BX triggers and they range in pull weights between 2.5 and 3.0 lbs.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:30 PM
jim2527

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the kind words.

I hit the range today and did ok. New changes/things I did different today:

Ammo: Only 1 brand today as to prevent ‘cross fouling’ amongst brands. I used RWS Target Rifle in the orange and black box.

Barrel: Started with a very clean barrel and fouled it with about 25 rounds.

Rear bag: Champion with ‘ears’. Removed rear sling mount.

I felt the rear bag wasn’t tall enough but then again I don’t know how to properly use a bag. Research is needed. But I’ll probably buy a tall bag or raise it up with piece of wood. Also, not sure about the sand weight or if the stock should wedge deep in the ears or ride high.

Bolt/breach face impact imprints look ok. Still getting what I thinks too much crud in the chamber after 200 or so rounds.

4 pics below.... bolt and breach face with a little iPhone trickery so the align up.

Target measures457” @ 50 yards or .870 moa. Big target is for the 50 @ 100 thread.

Last edited by jim2527; 10-08-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:02 PM
jim2527

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finally getting consistency... Still have work to do but getting there. Red stickers are because I cant see the center as its black!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10 22 1237 Target.jpg (73.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 10-29-2020, 05:10 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (260)
As was mentioned in an earlier post, if you're using the original Ruger trigger, you are handicapping yourself and need an upgrade. It will likely improve your groups noticeably as well as make shooting more enjoyable. There are many options available, from just going with a Volquartsen hammer on the least expensive (and modest effect) end, to the creme de la creme, a KIDD two-stage trigger, with a lot of incremental steps between. In enabler mode, if cost is a minor consideration, I highly recommend a KIDD single-stage trigger. It is a straight drop-in, replacing your existing trigger assembly, and it is a superb trigger. You're definitely on a roll with learning your rifle and improving your shooting and groups. Keep it going. :bthumb

Doug
Old 11-01-2020, 02:28 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Very nice rifle and you are making great progress.

I agree with a Kidd single stage trigger, or at a minimum, the Kidd trigger upgrade for the stock Ruger trigger housing.

You have made significant improvements with your groups. Not bad for a stock rifle. You are now to the point where the equipment will hold back your potential.