Re Assembly of the Ruger Mk II Question - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:23 AM
Outbuilding
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Re Assembly of the Ruger Mk II Question

I recently purchased one of the Volquartsen SS triggers for 15 bucks. I installed it in the MK II with the 6 7/8" barrel, but I can't get a consistent re assembly.

I know all the dance moves, and how many hammer whacks required, and even have read the instructions, so that is not the issue.

I re installed the old trigger last night and still have the problem. It seems that something is twisted and/or bent and the hammer is failing to fall at the right moment to make everything go back together as planned.

I have a couple of chores this morning before the storm arrives, so if any of you guys that have graduated from the BUBBA SCHOOL OF GUN AND COMPUTER REPAIR, like I have, have any suggestions of which part is binding, please let me know. I suspect it is the disconnector.

Just kidding about BUBBA, you guys have much more experience than I do.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
Old 10-28-2020, 10:51 AM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbuilding View Post
I ...read the instructions, so that is not the issue.
There's yer problem.

Is the disconnector binding, or are the disco, sear and trigger not in the right position to allow the the hammer to fall forward?
Old 10-28-2020, 12:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Zukiphile is on the right paths. When I have installed the Volquartsen trigger in my MKII pistols the disconnector arm would tend to bind against the side of the frame and it took a little careful bending to get it freed up so it would function correctly. As he said, we need just a little more detailed information as to what is happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2020, 12:26 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
If it doesn't already exist, someone should make a video with a Ruger lower made from a transparent material.

I've taken these apart often enough to know that, although they can be a pain because of all the little parts and poor access to them, they aren't really complex. Unfortunately, if you can't see into the lower and know what's going on, it can be hard to know whether you've everything in the right place for reassembly.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:08 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbuilding
I re installed the old trigger last night and still have the problem. It seems that something is twisted and/or bent and the hammer is failing to fall at the right moment to make everything go back together as planned.

... I suspect it is the disconnector.
You're correct that the disconnector is involved. It may well be a little bent/warped and straightening it will fix your issue.

I've seen 2 other things cause your problem.

1st is having too little overtravel in the trigger. Most common cause for this is an adjustable trigger set to remove all overtravel. Bubba'd sear or disconnector are also possible causes.

2nd is insufficient clearance between disconnector and receiver. My MKII had this problem, but resulted in occasional failures to reset rather than failures to drop the hammer. (No reset == no hammer drop)

I shaved a teeny bit from my receiver to fix my dragging disconnector problem:

Old 10-28-2020, 06:11 PM
Outbuilding

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I recently purchased one of the Volquartsen SS triggers for 15 bucks. I installed it in the MK II with the 6 7/8" barrel, but I can't get a consistent re assembly.

I know all the dance moves, and how many hammer whacks required, and even have read the instructions, so that is not the issue.

I have a couple of chores this morning before the storm arrives, so if any of you guys that have graduated from the BUBBA SCHOOL OF GUN AND COMPUTER REPAIR, like I have, have any suggestions of which part is binding, please let me know. I suspect it is the disconnector.

Just kidding about BUBBA, you guys have much more experience than I do.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Thanks for the quick replies, I will keep you guys posted on my progress.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
Old 10-28-2020, 06:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
on one of my mk iis the hammer doesnt move when you do the ruger dance and shake. I have to push the hammer forward to complete the assembly process.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:13 PM
Outbuilding

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
You're correct that the disconnector is involved. It may well be a little bent/warped and straightening it will fix your issue.

I've seen 2 other things cause your problem.

1st is having too little overtravel in the trigger. Most common cause for this is an adjustable trigger set to remove all overtravel. Bubba'd sear or disconnector are also possible causes.

2nd is insufficient clearance between disconnector and receiver. My MKII had this problem, but resulted in occasional failures to reset rather than failures to drop the hammer. (No reset == no hammer drop)

I shaved a teeny bit from my receiver to fix my dragging disconnector problem:

I got the problem child back together after some judicious edge breaking the area shown on your photo and removing about .005 off the head of the hammer rivet. It looked like it was rubbing. I will take it apart again in the morning and see what happens.

Thanks to everybody.

Leon
Old 10-29-2020, 12:00 PM
Outbuilding

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you think if I pour gas on it and set it on fire it would help? I took the volquartsen trigger out, and put the old one back in.

When I re assemble it, the bolt will move to the rear about 1/8" and stop. It's obvious that I am forgetting or overlooking something. Suggestions??

Leon
Old 10-29-2020, 01:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=Outbuilding;12073829]Do you think if I pour gas on it and set it on fire it would help? I took the volquartsen trigger out, and put the old one back in.

When I re assemble it, the bolt will move to the rear about 1/8" and stop. It's obvious that I am forgetting or overlooking something. Suggestions??

Thats a classic case of not having the hammer strut in the correct orientation.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:42 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
+1

[QUOTE=wonshott;12073921]
Quote:
Do you think if I pour gas on it and set it on fire it would help? I took the volquartsen trigger out, and put the old one back in.

If the hammer strut isn't in position you're .......
Old 10-29-2020, 02:41 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
[QUOTE=wonshott;12073921][QUOTE=Outbuilding;12073829]Do you think if I pour gas on it and set it on fire it would help? I took the volquartsen trigger out, and put the old one back in.

Quote:

I used to end up with this condition about half the time.

Take the mainspring and bolt out again. Get the hammer down out of the way so the bolt can go in all the way. Push the hammer forward as if it has already fired. Put the mainspring assembly up through the receiver and bolt.

As you close the bolt, be sure you see the hammer strut dangling with the end of the strut landing in the divot in the mainspring. The mainspring assembly should resist closing a bit for the last quarter inch or so. Press it down, close the latch and test.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:50 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
it often helps to point the muzzle at 12:00 when closing the main spring housing.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:49 PM
Outbuilding

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the light just came on, thanks to you guys.

I came in from cleaning up the limbs from the storm and just before lunch I took the ruger apart and started slowly reassembling per the instructions and just looking at the hammer and strut position. The strut seems to want to kick to one side on it's own, so I started making sure it was centered above the slot/pocket in the main spring assembly before I closed and latched it. Success!! Took it apart several times down to bolt removal, and watched and centered the end of the strut each time before I latched it. It went together correctly each time.

I will replace the old trigger and take a look at the strut after another session in the yard.

Thanks again ya'll.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
Old 10-30-2020, 02:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Keep at it OP. I have to believe most people are capable of learning the reassembly process. If you get it to where the bolt is locked up it only takes 30 seconds to open the mainspring and try again. Or you can let it ruin your whole day