open groups - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:00 PM
Ide
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
open groups

I have tried every kind of .22 ammo I can get my hands on, and my RPR just will not shoot. At 50yds, off a bench rest, it will hit one or two center hits on the ARA target, then throw one completely out of the square. It throws up, down, left or right and right down the center. Every shot is a surprise. Barrel is very clean to start the match. The match director said my rifle was best described in two words, " tomato stake " This has been going on for several months now, actually ever since I purchased it new. Open to suggestions, I really do not want to throw parts at it like a 10/22. Thanks in advance. Dan Ide
Old 06-13-2021, 09:21 PM
The_Darkest_One

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ide View Post
Every shot is a surprise.
Get the crown checked. Some crowns on new guns are rubbish. It's a simple machining process but easy to mess up if not done with a bit of care.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:49 AM
vaguru
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Call Ruger and get them to send you a return shipping label. Friend had same issue, sent back. They recrowned the bbl and had it back in less than a week. Problem solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2021, 09:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Or, check part # 54, the magazine retention latch. If its not snug and secure, it moves and when it moves so do your shots.

Also the thread protector is weird. Theres a hollow space inside , which acts like a vortex chamber and wobbles the bullet, sometimes. Mine shot better with it off. But i didnt like that so i bought a simple flash hider / muzzle device and that seemed to work fine and protect the threads. No need for a crush washer or too much torque, a drop of blue locktite works just fine.

Or, you should send it back, my first one went back twice, they kept it the second time and sent me a new gun. A different model.

Or , cause of the MOA rail youve got your turrets so cranked to shoot at 50 yards your scope is out of wack.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:59 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine was bad about throwing a flyer and messing up a great group or shooting two different groups. I played around with no thread protector, short steel bloop tube, short aluminum bloop tube and a TandemKross Pro brake with no change. Finally just to se what would happen I ordered an aluminum tanker style brake form ebay. Surprise, surprise, it made a big difference in the fliers. It isn't an Anshutz but it's pretty good for a $450 rifle. My guess and it's only a guess is that it was the right weight to settle down the barrel harmonics.

Last edited by Arrowhead; 06-14-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:35 PM
AveragEd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the factory barrel that had less than a box of rounds through it from one of mine that I would loan to you for testing but I think the best idea is sending it back to Ruger for their evaluation and repairs.

Ed
Old 06-25-2021, 10:17 AM
Hbjj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IMHO they are about a 2moa gun.
I've done alot to mine and it is down to 1.4 moa after a new barrel, piller bedding,serious trigger work, stiffening the butt stock, bedding in the magazine block, remachining the the bottom of the scope rail to actually fit the receiver, and lapping the action straight and square.
Next will be a new bolt from scratch with a new firing pin arrangement and proper clearance to the action.

I like the gun and some do great but the two I have shot didn't.

Ps there is a world of difference between a random act of accuracy like this 10 shot group at 100 yards and true consist accuracy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210427_154639_1624634028599.jpg (389.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-17-2021, 10:13 PM
Ide
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the suggestions. At todays bench rest, I removed the barrel tread protector and some other small suggestions. While not a tack driver today, no real wiled hits either. So thanks again for all help.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:20 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine shoots Wolf Match Target into 0.46 inch for a 10 shot group at 50 yards.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:59 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Part 54, mag retention latch, you need to get that lined up right and secured in the stock so it doesn’t move.

And yes the TP is a weird one with a hollow chamber in it , buy a muzzle device device , flash hider, break and put it on, then the threads will be protected.

I sent mine back 3 times, on the third time they kept it and gave me a different model new gun at my request.