Hogue Ultimates - Page 34 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:04 PM
J31968

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)

I think it looks good and you have just the right balance where your at right now.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:17 PM
TakedownJedi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J31968 View Post
I think it looks good and you have just the right balance where your at right now.
Thanks for the input!! This was my first fluting work and it was a tester before I do a BB hogue. I feel like it wants some fluting on the buttstock. I just don't know where to put it.

I will have some pics of it on a rifle in a day or so. To get a better idea.

I'm really considering making an cheek riser and putting that on. Trying to think of the easiest way to make it adjustable, flush and without screws poking out of it. Any suggestions?

Cheers!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:05 PM
doclu60
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
adjustable comb

TakedownJedi,
While I have a hogue, I'm not sure about the internal structure of the butt stock portion of the stock......keeping this in mind, I do know in shotgun stocks where adjustable combs in target guns are quite common, there is a very common use of a post and collar method. The comb is cut into a separate piece, then two collars are installed into the top of the stock. These are drilled and tapped for set screws. Posts are installed into the cutout piece (your comb) and fit into the collars. This allows adjustment of the comb to different levels. I have no idea if the hogue would lend itself to this method, but it is something to look at. If you have any LGS in your area that has a good selection of higher end shotguns, especially trap guns, you may be able to look at some adjustable combs for yourself. Hope this helps......cool deal on the cut outs you already did. Never seen that before on a hogue. Good luck with the project........later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2014, 09:09 AM
TakedownJedi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclu60 View Post
TakedownJedi,
While I have a hogue, I'm not sure about the internal structure of the butt stock portion of the stock......keeping this in mind, I do know in shotgun stocks where adjustable combs in target guns are quite common, there is a very common use of a post and collar method. The comb is cut into a separate piece, then two collars are installed into the top of the stock. These are drilled and tapped for set screws. Posts are installed into the cutout piece (your comb) and fit into the collars. This allows adjustment of the comb to different levels. I have no idea if the hogue would lend itself to this method, but it is something to look at. If you have any LGS in your area that has a good selection of higher end shotguns, especially trap guns, you may be able to look at some adjustable combs for yourself. Hope this helps......cool deal on the cut outs you already did. Never seen that before on a hogue. Good luck with the project........later
The buttstock is hollow. But I have plenty of resin to fill it with. The post and collar is probably what I will do. I just didn't want to drill through the cheek riser. The price of progress.....

Cheers
Old 01-15-2014, 12:46 PM
doclu60
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakedownJedi View Post
The buttstock is hollow. But I have plenty of resin to fill it with. The post and collar is probably what I will do. I just didn't want to drill through the cheek riser. The price of progress.....

Cheers
On a wood shotgun stock the cut is made deep enough so drilling through comb piece is not an issue to install posts. Only place hardware shows is in the gap between comb and top of the butt stock. I think there were some kits out there years ago for the DIY guys. Been awhile since I played the scatter gun games. BTW....good choice of a malted beverage.......later buddy!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:42 PM
jim46ok
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
My own Cerakote job..

Finally got a break from Cerakote jobs, and found time to do my own gun:

Last edited by jim46ok; 01-16-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:56 PM
williamwallace
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thumbs up

That's one Sweet looking Hogue build sir
Old 01-16-2014, 05:42 PM
jim46ok
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Thanks, Wm Wallace, sir.......

I never did like the "Military" look until I did a 2-tone Cerakote job for a gent, and the colors looked pretty nice together...... so I guess this one turned out ok... I contemplated (and may still) doing a darker Cerakote in the barrel flutes, or have Chaser do his Carbon fiber trick on it. Have not decided....
Old 01-19-2014, 04:33 PM
parshooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim46ok View Post
Finally got a break from Cerakote jobs, and found time to do my own gun:
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l499/jim46ok/Bling/IMG_4401_zpsf09cf5c9.jpg[/IMG]
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l499/jim46ok/IMG_4396_zpsc1731df8.jpg[/IMG]
Looks great!

How did you keep the writing, "KIDD 22LR", black?
Old 01-19-2014, 04:57 PM
ChukGA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by parshooter View Post
Looks great!

How did you keep the writing, "KIDD 22LR", black?
finger nail polish and non-acetone nail polish remover is probably the easiest way... rub the brush over it completely... then lightly go back over with non-acetone nail polish remover on a paper tower... may have to repeat the whole process a few times... this is my 10/22 w/ the lettering blacked

Old 01-24-2014, 01:37 PM
blu gun fun

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
On page 25 POST# 362, anybody know who makes the finned barrel like the one in the picture????? Friend of mine has one in black but it doesn't have a single marking anywhere on it.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:19 PM
OleFreak
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Check Brownells
Old 01-24-2014, 02:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
E Arthur Brown Company makes a barrel like that. http://eabco.com. I know nothing about how they shoot.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:05 PM
blu gun fun

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Thanks guys, eabco makes one very similar to it but I think this one is a Tactical Inovations like brownells has. Thanks Again.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Fungus
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Just got mine finished yesterday!

New Ruger receiver
JWH Custom stealth bolt & extended charging handle assembly
Feddersen 18" contour barrel
Brimstone tier 3 on factory poly TG (2.5#s)
Tacsol rail
Redfield 2-7x34 Tac-22 in Weaver low tip-off rings
Hogue ghillie green
Black cotton web M-16 sling

My only "non-wood" stocked rifle and I'm liking this one.