Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Hornady brass not ejecting?

My LR-308 (DPMS style AR-10), has never given me ejection issues. I usually reload federal, or Winchester Brass. I got a good deal on new hornady brass, and loaded up 50 rounds of 168 gr. Sierra matchking, over 43 grains of varget.

Yesterday, i went to the range, and had nothing but eject issues, using this brass. the empty cases were being held by the extractor, and slammed into the front edge of the loading port. When i used any of my Winchester or Federal cases, I had no issues. I am wondering if the Hornady brass has a slightly taller rim, and thus the extractor clings on tighter to the rim. I did order a new ejector, and ejector spring, since they might be slightly worn. Does Hornady brass tend to have a slightly taller rim, and this might be the issue?

thanx

p.s. I had this posted in the "Rifle" section, but no replies.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Only ejection issue I ever had with and AR was extraction, not ejection. Check the head of the brass. It could be slightly oversized. I would pull the bolt and see how it feels by hand, comparing to your usual brands. If is not the bolt look for OD of the rim to be too big or even out of round.
(Besides check ejector as mentioned)

Last edited by Mike Clark; 05-16-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:41 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Not sure if this is relevant, but a number of very experienced shooters think that Hornady brass is softer than from other manufacturers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2018, 12:30 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
From what I have heard.... Hornady brass sucks. I have two cousins, both with 45-70 lever guns, shooting Hornady's Leverevolution ammo, and some brass fits and some does not. But brass from other manufacturers feed flawlessly. So I am just speculating, that Hornady has a brass quality control issue BIG TIME, since it is affecting many calibers and in different ways.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:29 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I think both of you are on to something.... that maybe hornady has some issues.

I totally dis-assembled the bolt, and everything looks perfect. I am still going to install a new plunger, and plunger spring when they arrive. I also need to mike the brass from Hornady, and compare it to everybody else.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:36 AM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I installed a new plunger spring, and plunger. When manually placing a Non-Hornady case in the bolt, I can mimic the rifle being fired, by holding the case against the plunger, than allowing the spring to "flick" the cartridge away.

When i try that with a Hornady round, most of the time the round won't flick away....that tells me that Hornady's dimensions are different, thus that's the only reason for the non-ejection.

I may contact Hornady about this issue for a refund.