Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:17 PM
OldSchoolSC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Twist Rate

Greetings y'all. I'm interested in knowing the barrel twist rate of my old 22s. Does anyone know of a resource where I can find this info? I'm not having much luck with Google.

I've developed an interest in the Aguila Sniper Subsonic ammo. I've read that it does best with a twist rate of 1:9 and I want to know which of my old rifles will get the best performance out of this round. I suspect most of mine are 1:16, though. The rifles I want to know the twist rates for are:

Winchester 74, very early production. I know this one probable won't cycle the SSS ammo, but that's ok if it would stabilize the 60 gr. pill of the SSS.

Mossberg 46B. This is the only bolt action .22 I have, so I'd obviously prefer this with the SSS.

Mossberg 152. Also probably won't cycle the SSS, but a cool little carbine!

Charter Arms AR-7. Not really a contender, but I'd like to know its twist rate anyway.

Thanks in advance for any insight y'all have on where to find the twist rates for these rifles.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:51 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rifles mentioned should all be 1:16 twist. A patch on a jag with a cleaning rod should allow you to measure the rate. Scribe a straight line on rod, full rotation then measure how many inches.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:20 AM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
it takes 14" to stabilize a 22 cal bullet so 16" should do just fine , but there is always a lot of other considerations to be taken into account should you get really serious in accuracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2020, 03:36 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you think about it an ar 15 with a 1/9 twist might be your best option.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:40 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
If you think about it an ar 15 with a 1/9 twist might be your best option.

I had a custom bolt gun built on the .223, and knew i would be shooting 55 grain bullets, and had a 1-14" twist barrel on it. BR accuracy from a varmint rifle.

Any rimfire ammo is designed to shoot in a 16" twist barrel. You do not need a custom barrel just for one brand and bullet weight of ammo.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:28 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
There are a few budget 9 twist 1022 barrels around. Only helps if you have a 1022 floating around though.

Get a cleaning rod with a swivel handle, get a worn 22 borebrush and add some patches. Then take some masking tape and make a little flap near the base. Run the bore counting the revolutions then divide by barrel length. Have seen a few as fast as 14 and slow as 20 but most are 16.

Key is getting a decent slug of patches in the rifling, then lube if you get to much friction. The old wal mart cheap handles had a decent swivel.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:08 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A square 10 View Post
it takes 14" to stabilize a 22 cal bullet so 16" should do just fine , but there is always a lot of other considerations to be taken into account should you get really serious in accuracy
My maths might be wrong, but that doesn't sound right. If a 14in twist is the minimum to stabilise a 0.22LR, then a 16T is insufficient. Surely the bigger the number of the twist is, the lower the RPM for the same MV?
Old 08-11-2020, 09:09 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W8LON View Post
A patch on a jag with a cleaning rod should allow you to measure the rate. Scribe a straight line on rod, full rotation then measure how many inches.

Edited per self missing the OP wants to shoot 60 grn..
For more oomph out of a standard 1/16 barrel one might consider the Velocitor which shoots fairly well for hunting for many shooters.

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 08-11-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:18 AM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Folks, the Aguila Sniper Subsonic round is a 60 grain and does require a 1:9 twist to stabilize it. It will shoot out of any rifle but is most likely to tumble out of a 1:16 twist. And 1:16 is not the only twist rate used for the .22LR. Some benchrest barrels are 1:17 and even 1:17.5. But the 1:17.5s have had issues in cold weather not stabilizing match ammo.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:34 AM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
1:8 barrel liner will work well.

I had a gunsmith get a 1:8 barrel liner, I think from Brownell. There was enough to do the barrel of a Remington 521T and a revolver. Both shot the 60 gr. Aguila SSS just fine. The revolver went to a friend who can put it to good use. I still have the rifle.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:57 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Twist rate is primarily dependent on two things which are bullet length and velocity. A heavier bullet (60gr which is out or the normal range for 22 rimfire) is usually longer and requires a faster twist rate to stabilize as MKnarr has pointed out.

John
Old 08-11-2020, 01:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Miller's Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolSC
I've developed an interest in the Aguila Sniper Subsonic ammo. I've read that it does best with a twist rate of 1:9 and I want to know which of my old rifles will get the best performance out of this round.
Even if you were planning on using a pistol, you shouldn't need a twist anywhere near that fast.

First- Aquila "recommends" using a gun with a minimum 20" barrel length for their Sniper Subsonic ammo.

Second- With a 1:16 twist barrel, it appears that this ammo will creep (down) into the upper end of the marginal stability range.

I determined the stability using the Miller Twist Rate Formula found in this handy dandy calculator:

https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

So it appears you really need at least a 1:15 twist rifle barrel, or at least a 1:14 twist pistol barrel for this round to be completely stable.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:45 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Use a faster twist ...

You use all of the formula you want but also use common sense. The slower the bullet goes, the faster the rotation needed to keep it pointy end first. On a good day, you might get by at very short distances with a 1:15 twist, but why ???? If you are going to put in a barrel liner or get a new barrel, get the 1:8 or 1:9 twist. The bullet will fly straight. And at long distances, where velocity has dropped off, will still be stable. Use a marginal twist and at longer distances the bullet will not be stable and accuracy then stinks. Been there and done that.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:58 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most people recommend the 1:9 twist but results vary with 1:16. Some work and most dont. Microgroove barrels are supposed to work better. Best bet is try it in your rifles and see what happens before investing in other gear. If you can borrow a rifle with a microgroove barrel (Marlin) try it. There are barrels available for 10-22s but I dont know of any bolt guns with 1:9 twist. The 10-22 might be the cheapest option or if you have an AR get a rimfire conversion kit.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:23 PM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Most people recommend the 1:9 twist
Not only most people but in this case so Aquilla.