Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:49 AM
JohnWhite
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MarkII Poor barrel quality

I just brought home my new Savage MarkII FV .22 rifle. After a thorough cleaning I run the bore scope threw the barrel. This is what Savage quality has come to. I am a Savage fan. But I was really disappointed in what I found. I have included a couple of pics. One is of the burrs in the chamber. The other is about 17 inches down the barrel. The reason I am posting this is so people will know what they are buying. This is my second MarkII. The first one is almost as bad as this one. Now with bore scopes becoming so much cheaper. I am hoping gun manufacturers see the light. Of the crap that they can't hide so easily anymore. and Yes. I am still a Savage fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savage markii 2 chamber.jpg (74.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Savage markii 2 #2 barrel.jpg (76.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-18-2021, 07:52 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
How does it shoot? That is the. Question!
Old 10-18-2021, 08:01 AM
JohnWhite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm never going to know.

This barrel is going to become a tomato stake. I wouldn't waste my time driving all the way out to the range. When I know I would be shooting a barrel like this. I am going to make it my Winter project gun. I have a few barrel blanks. One is a Lilja that I will try and repurpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2021, 08:07 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Several years ago Savage bought some Chinese barrel blanks that turned out to have voids in them, maybe they've tried again, they swapped out a few barrels back then, maybe again?
Old 10-18-2021, 08:15 AM
JohnWhite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That would make sense. Everything from China is so cheap. All American (and Canadian) manufacturers can't make stuff cheaper than China. So I would guess that more than just the barrel comes from China.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:05 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Had a BVT a few years ago, when the 13mm at 50 yards was very popular. It finally made the grade, but it was close. Then came the borescope. The BVT was missing a groove 1/2" from the chamber. It was a lead trap. Shot very well after a good cleaning, but not after about 35 shots. It got traded with some other rifles for an Anschutz, and yes - i did make the new owner aware of the problem. It was a beautiful rifle, just wish the quality control group (if they have one) at Savage would step up their game. No more, I have had enough.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:19 AM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Hi John, I just wanted to say I had a similar experience last Fall with a B22. I posted pics here and other forums too, and everyone said to 'see how it shoots' so I went ahead. After getting a bit of practice with it I can shoot ca. 1/2"-3/4" with "Fair" ammo like CCI-SV & SK+ . I don't have (or plan to buy) anything more $$ than the SK+ so it's not a 'competition' rifle but still a very good shooter. Maybe if I had a barrel that cost more than the rifle ($388 tx-in) I would have changed up but that's not my choice. I polished the action, lightened the trigger to ca. 2# and have a FFP 6-24x50 Covenant-4 scope. Seems OK to me for the price. YMMV Here's a recent target (3/4" dots) and some pics of the barrel before I shot it. A bit of "RR tracks" that don't show well in the pics but are very noticeable 'live'. I did run a brass brush thru and patches w/Hoppes to remove 'storage lube' but nothing to cause any of the longitudinal scratches. I think the button/tool was pushing some debris along with the chatter marks.

Last edited by Fasteddie01; 10-18-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:43 PM
Sentry44

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I know this doesn't console the OP or solve his unfortunate problem, but...stuff like this is exactly why I simply do not buy new guns anymore. I havent for a decade...the last two were a Rem 700 and a Sav 11 hog hunter. Both had issues.

The old guns just DON'T, and they were made by people who took pride in their job, and company's who really cared about their name and reputation. And the guns have character...and not a single plastic part on them.

Most of my 22's hail from the late 20's through the late 60's and they are all built well...every make. Walnut and steel...no slop. Parts generally available.

Sentry44
Old 10-19-2021, 06:02 AM
JohnWhite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree Sentry44. Craftsman did take pride in their work. We live in a different time now. We live in a "disposable society". We buy cheap crap. Use it a few times and toss it aside. Then too. I paid $262 out the door for this rifle. If I had paid a thousand. I would really be upset. I am not angry. I think I am more like disappointed in Savage Arms. I think that kind of hurts a little bit too.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:15 AM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry44 View Post
I know this doesn't console the OP or solve his unfortunate problem, but...stuff like this is exactly why I simply do not buy new guns anymore. I havent for a decade...the last two were a Rem 700 and a Sav 11 hog hunter. Both had issues.

The old guns just DON'T, and they were made by people who took pride in their job, and company's who really cared about their name and reputation. And the guns have character...and not a single plastic part on them.

Most of my 22's hail from the late 20's through the late 60's and they are all built well...every make. Walnut and steel...no slop. Parts generally available.

Sentry44
Unfortunately that is true about so many things today.

I've run a small business for about 10 years now, and charge a fair price for the best work I can produce. My competition doesn't care, and undercuts me by almost 50% on many projects. The work isn't the same - but most people will take the lower price and lower quality.

Many of the projects we compete for are for vehicles that are close to $100,000, and my typical cost is under $1000. He is closer to $500.

Americans love cheap...
Old 10-19-2021, 09:15 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Would it be possible/feasible to fix some of these barrel issues?

Are there products available with which one could lap/smooth out some of the rough places?

Just asking, that's all.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:31 AM
Sentry44

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Unless one has a lathe and machinist knowledge, my guess is that would not be worth the expense. And remember, this isn't a shotgun...the bullet needs to properly pick up the lands, so it isn't like you can just peel away 'meat' and you've solved the problem. You would have to have both a gunsmith and machinist's knowledge, and I strongly suspect that if a guy with that was reading this he would tell me it isn't even possible. Besides, it's possble the gun still shoots with acceptible accuracy, it's just disappointing that such a thing passed QC.

As was pointed out above, this isn't a problem limited to Savage Arms. Americans have simply become preconditioned to view price as the most important consideration...without regard for quality. And companies do it to themselves...they advertise this way. I would love to see more "we don't make 'X' for everybody...we make it for those who care about what they're buying." I think that would resonate with people, particularly with mechanical things.

Sentry44

Last edited by Sentry44; 10-19-2021 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:46 PM
jac54
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like the barrel on my A22 I sent back to the factory about a year and a half ago. It wouldn't break 1.5" at 50 with any ammo. The new barrel breaks .5 with a lot of ammo. Send it back.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:09 PM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with jac , that's pretty bad. Last year I thought my barrel was 'in trouble' but as you see it shoots OK for $300 (USD - $400CDN). I recently bought an A22 and that barrel is waay smoother, just a few scratches in the barrel, likely from debris being 'pushed' by the button. I may 'polish' both rifles using Rem 40X a semi-liquid cleaner that is just mildly abrasive. I've used it on my SKS to 'smooth' 70 years of FMJ abrasion/scratches and that barrel "looks good for it's age".
Old 10-26-2021, 06:47 AM
WallaceValdez

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How good it is with shooting? That is the question right now